Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Firearms training simulators

I remember the paper roll era, as "the tall guy" usually had to fix the paper roll. Have used the FATS system which was okay. We have a couple of the IES Interactive systems, but I believe they may have been bought out or merged with FAAC which does a wide variety of video training to include driving, flying and use of force.

https://www.faac.com
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Atomiswave Sports Shooting USA...

http://instagram.com/p/BsGfPHZncnx/

I kid, I kid...

Virtra was a neat simulator - I logged a lot of time on that system.

Quote Originally Posted by snow white View Post
    Have you tried onward yet? My father in law got the oculus II for Xmas and I was going hard on that game for a while. I can see that being useful for stuff other than the actual shooting stuff as its pretty funky with the controllers. But I definitely see some potential. I bet there are firearm simulation controllers you can get to make it feel a bit more realistic on the physical shooting side of things.
    I haven't tried that yet. I only have a few titles so still sorting things out but I'll give it a try.

ETA There are STL files to 3d print Glock controllers for various sets now. I may have to give that a try.

Regarding rental machines, if you want to call the Lyons County, Kansas, Sheriff's Department, several years ago their self-insurance group paid for them to have a driving simulator, and I believe a use-of-force simulator brought to their location.

Additionally, at least eight to ten years ago when we were researching new simulators for bid, buying one to loan to agencies, they would either come to pick it up or we would UPS it to them. So we were asking for the vendors to supply lists of folks they new had transported their machines. One of the references we got was a county self insurance group out of either Texas or Oklahoma. Might be worth running them down to see if they have any knowledge of other folks doing that.

When we were contemplating sending out machines to local agencies we were going to do so with the caveat that the agency had someone who had gone through our simulator instructor orientation which included system operator orientation, legal aspects regarding use of force update, and practical exercises in providing feedback. I mention this because unless the instructor has their stuff in one bag, the training can easily turn into Cowboys and Indians and/or bad info will get passed about.

Site Supporter
    In the interest of trying to be helpful, if you have any federal agency field offices nearby, you might check to see if they have a simulator available. Two smaller federal agencies had facilities (training division and national headquarters) a few blocks from my former department. It was nice seeing such well-outfitted departments.

I will comment that we eventually purchased the Ti System through DHS funding. While it eventually saw use in training, I suspect we primarily purchased it so we didn't have to truck our Citizens Police Academy students over to the National Institutes of Health Police training site.Overall, it was a great system that allowed deployment of lethal and less lethal force. It was so realistic that a soon-to-be-former firearms instructor put a 165 grain .40 HST round though the screen and the wall behind it.

No a high water mark for instructors following their own protocols, but a testament to the penetration ability of the duty round of the time.

Site Supporter
    Your mention of using paper reminded me that our Dept used to hang a sheet up at our outside range. The used a projection video player to play police training films from the 70s ( judging from the mustaches and haircuts) onto the sheet. It had to be done at night and it was live fire. The bad was you really couldn’t tell your hits or misses.
    They should bring the idea back for the simple reason they could use rifles and pistol in live fire. Today they could use a laptop and make their own scenarios. They could even use news footage, body cam and movie footage edited down into scenarios

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    Your mention of using paper reminded me that our Dept used to hang a sheet up at our outside range. The used a projection video player to play police training films from the 70s ( judging from the mustaches and haircuts) onto the sheet. It had to be done at night and it was live fire. The bad was you really couldn’t tell your hits or misses.
    They should bring the idea back for the simple reason they could use rifles and pistol in live fire. Today they could use a laptop and make their own scenarios. They could even use news footage, body cam and movie footage edited down into scenarios
    See also: rotary slide projector* and butcher paper.

*-kids, ask your folks.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    You mean ask their grandparents about a slide show!

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Beavercreek has a nice one. Let me find out which one.
    I think it's a Ti machine. We shared one with 6 other agencies. Each PD had it twice a year, and I spent the first week fixing all the issues and broken items on it before we could use it.
    I finally convinced the chief to stop paying out the cash to be a part of the consortium to have the privilege of using it. Instead, I attended Ken Murray's excellent RBT class and we conduct scenario training a few times a year. Every cop I know has issues"talking to the screen" of a FATS/Ti machine.
    The stress level, interaction and knowledge retention is so much higher with RBT than a simulator we'll never go back.
    That said, I've never used a VR LE simulator.

Rbta.net is Armiger's site.

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    That sounds like the old Motorola Shoot/Don't shoot videos.

User Tag List