Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Is .38 spl. destined to be a "Tier 2" performer?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    A "cup and core" hollowpoint is a jacketed hollowpoint, the various versions of the FBI load are non-jacketed.
    Correct in my intent. I used that term to differentiate traditional JHP construction (e.g., Hornady XTP) from newer bonded technologies (e.g., Gold Dot and HST).
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingate's Hairbrush View Post
    I have current Remington, Winchester and Buffalo Bore version of the FBI load and like them all; my fixed site Ks and Js do, too, for POA to POI, but I standardized a while ago on Gold Dot Short Barrel in .38+P.
    How does the Gold Dot Short Barrel do in 4" barrels? I ASSume it is optimized for 2" barrels?

So, if in clear gel bullets typically penatrate farther and expand less the 125gr xtp looks pretty decent if I can get it over 1k fps

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    How does the Gold Dot Short Barrel do in 4" barrels? I ASSume it is optimized for 2" barrels?
    My understanding is that Speer's 135gr Short Barrel loads in .38+P and .357 use the same bullet.

Per those who have contacted Speer, in the 38+P load the GDSB out of a 4" barrel should perform as designed; in the .357 load, it's advised not to use it in barrels over 3" or risk overdrive.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

User Tag List