Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Is .38 spl. destined to be a "Tier 2" performer?

Reloading really is the answer for the .357
    My favourite loads are 125gr REM SJHP and XTPs loaded in front of 2400 powder for 1325fps in a 4.2” barrel.
    I also load a .38-44 with 140gr XTPs and H110 for 1140fps
    Both of these recoil about perfectly and show a marked improvement in power over 9mm

Site Supporter
    If Hornady would load the .38+P Critical Defense load (90311) with the FlexLock bullet from the Critical Duty line, that would hit the sweet spot for me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    And, since it always comes up in these conversational swings, a modern version of the old Federal +P+ hydra-shok 147 grain would be great. How hard would it be to adapt the 147 HST bullet to a .38 case, and drive it to an honest 975-1000fps out of a 4” tube?
    ?

I have been planning to load some of those up to test that theory. I have some of the 147 +P+ HS load, and bought a bunch of 147 HST bullets from RMR a while back. I just never had gotten around to doing it. Plan is to pull the HS, put the same powder charge back, and load the HST in with a decent crimp, and then find somebody with a couple gel blocks to play with!

That stuff is a lot hotter than 1,000 fps out of a service revolver. Honestly, I’d be just as happy if they toned it down a hair so it’s actually going 1k out of the average 3”. That said, it’s good stuff.
    This is what I keep in my 4in 64 and HB M10. Never felt uncomfortable carrying these loads when I was posted on a .38 revolver only post some high paying clients like to stipulate. Armed security on FT and PT for 19yrs moonlighting. (In B'ham, ALA)
    Pacem in corde meo, Mors de guns

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...deep-380-auto/

Assuming ammunition is ever readily available again, I would be interested to see how the 38 hydra-shok deep does in gel tests.

I do think that a “throttled down” barnes bullet load as discussed upthread is an interesting idea.

Until we have a “magic bullet” for 38 snubs, I am going to keep rolling with 38 wadcutters and 135gr short barrel gold dot in a speedloader as my reload. I have found that in airweight snubs, even something like the snubby gold dot load makes for difficult follow up shots for me. So even if the 38 pressure limits are not really the thing holding back ammunition performance, I do wonder if something that can pass an FBI gel test out of said snubs is just going to be really difficult to shoot well at speed.

Site Supporter

Revolver Guy Article

Here are interesting test results for .38 Special short barrel ammo:

https://revolverguy.com/38-snubby-ammo/

I'll be loading up some 125gr xtps @ 1000fps over the next 2 days. I'll be able to compare them to factory 130gr +p bonded rangers in 2, 3, and 4" barrels.

Maybe some 9mm too.

Folks, plenty of bad guys(and good guys) have been put down by the old LRN .38 bullet. Bullet placement is king no matter the caliber. The 38 ain't dead, far from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol Pete 10 View Post
    Folks, plenty of bad guys(and good guys) have been put down by the old LRN .38 bullet. Bullet placement is king no matter the caliber. The 38 ain't dead, far from it.
    True. Plenty of folks have been run over by horse and buggy, too -- still easier and more effective to do it in a Model T.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Here you go: https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=108

158 grains at 1,000 fps.
    That stuff is a lot hotter than 1,000 fps out of a service revolver. Honestly, I’d be just as happy if they toned it down a hair so it’s actually going 1k out of the average 3”...
    They did. Standard pressure version of the +P in OJ's link.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=110
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

User Tag List