Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2006 Vintage SIG GSR With Evolutionary Empirically Derived Improvements

Evolution Of The Beast Grip-Part II

After speaking with p-f member David Barnes of VCD Grips, I asked if he had a thumb scoop model-he does indeed, which is available, but uncatalogued on his website; the name of them is The Practitioner. These were the grips that David provided in prototype form to Todd Green for his Heirloom pistol.

I like them quite a bit, at least in their index and in dryfire; I'll be using them on the GSR at an IDPA match later in the month.

Due to the configuration of the grips, the cratering is a bit shallower, as seen comparatively with one of his standard OD Tapered grips: (the one on the top is the standard, the one immediately below is the thumbscoop)

Operationally, that seems to be of no consequence; if anything, I seem to slighty prefer the slightly less aggressive cratering (but regardless, David ships a segment of sandpaper which each of his grips to shave down the cratering to make them less aggressive if desired).

Aesthetically, for those concerned, the Practitioners come in a slightly darker and greener Olive Drab than the standard Tapereds, which seem to be more of a brown-green Olive Drab.

Fit is excellent, as is the grip profile. While the Standard Tapered grips seemed to fit a bit tighter, snapping in place, the Practitioners have a good fit with no slop around the grip screw bushings. I use Challis rubber O-Rings (designed specifically for 1911 use, but actually amenable to use in other platforms) with each grip screw to prevent screw loosening and backing out due to firing vibration.https://challisgrips.americommerce.c...-Bushings.aspx
    I like the access provided by the scoop to the magazine release, and I can detect no loss of grippability incurred by the scoop. I think that these will provide a subtle, but welcome incrimental imrovement to my overall package. We'll see how the results play out quantifiably, but I plan on running with these for some time.

David was also kind enough to send me a free set of the standard Tapereds which I asked for in Brown; thse may find a place, at least experimentally with my Colt Series 70 stainless Repro, which is currently wearing a set of Hogue G10 (which I'm very pleased with), or, perhaps heretically, on our WWII 1945 vintage Remington-Rand 1911A1....

For any interested, VCD has available stocks of the Practitioner Thumbscoop model, in a variety of colors-check with VCD Grips for further information and details. http://www.vcdgrips.com/

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 01-10-2021 at 11:23 AM.

On Saturday I shot the GSR as currently equipped in a club IDPA match. The gun fired 171 rounds thorughout the match without a single hiccup; I additionally used the opportunity to test it with 5 series of Check-Mate magazines (1. welded baseplate, stainless steel, hybrid feed lip, 8 round skirted/dimpled follower,; 2. extended tube/removable polymer basepad, 8 round, stainless steel, hybrid feed lip, dinpled/skirted follower; 3. extended tube/removable basepad, 8 round, carbon steel, hybrid feed lip, dimpled/skirted follower, high-polish black oxide finish; 4. extended tube/removable basepad, carbon steel, 8 round, hybrid feed lip, skirted/dimpled follower, matte teflon finish, and 5. extended tube/removable basepad, 8 round, stainless steel, semi-wadcutter feedlip, skirted/non-dimpled follower, produced by Check-Mate exclusively as CerTac magazine for Cerebrus/P3LLC. Additionally, a carbon steel, 10 round, hybrid feed lip dimpled/skirted follower magazine was used as my initial charger magazine for each stage. There were no isssues whatsoever with any of the magazines, which which were continuously ejected into the dirt and mud throughout the match.

For EDC/duty carry, I'll use a 7 round, carbon steel hybrid feed lip welded baseplate Check-Mate magzine; for my 2 reload magazines, I'll use the 8 round extended tubes-either the black oxide, teflon, or CerTac ones-all are equally good and vetted.

Shooter needs work; while the gun performed superbly, my scores were pretty unimpressive, except for 1 or 2 out of the 7 match stages stages; I'm re-reading and re-applying J. Michael Placxco's "Shooting From Within" with copious amounts of dry-fire for general improvement, but specifically to build and hone my 1911-fu skills.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 01-24-2021 at 06:46 PM.

Regarding the upgraded components I've recently installed, the RDIH extended slide stop worked superbly. I was able to use it with both strong and support hands-ther ergos and function are much appreciated. The component did not cause any inadvertant/premature slide locking. The RDIH ambi magazine release worked just fine, although I don't believe I ever used the ambi portion (the right side magazine release lever) of the set-up during the match, but it was nice having it as an option. The right-side lever was functionally unobtrusive, and created no issues with holstering or during use. The BH Spring Solutions 16# recoil spring chugs along quite nicely-there were no chambering or extraction issues, and while I wasn't paying any attention to it, extracted cartridge casings exited nicely. The VCD grips really efffectively lock your hand in on the gun, but allow for hand transitions if necessary, and the aggressive thumbscoop was appreciated. I ended up using 2 Challis O-Rings per grip screw, stacking them on the screw before inserting the screw for tightening, and they very effectively precluded any screw back-outs from firing vibration.n the

I did notice one thing-that with the 8 round welded baseplate magazine, due to the decreased volume/increased spring pressure compared to the 8 round extended tube magazines, it was a bit more difficult to activate the RDIH magazine release when the magazine was fully loaded with 8 rounds. Operationally, I had no issue with it, though.

Best, Jon

New OWB Privateer Leather Holster

Wes Dahl of Privateer Leather has provided me with a magnificent OWB holster for the GSR; he has the proper mold for the older SIG 1911 profile (as well as the newer ones). this one is his Castaway model, a mid-ride, similar to their Highwayman, but the castaway uses two Pull-The-Dot grippers to secure the belt loops, making for an easy to remove holster.

The holster needed very little break-in; basically, just easing the GSR into the holster the first several times, and then letting it sit in it overnight. Fit, boning and finish is superb, with the body done in Black and the trim in Russet Brown. In use, it's like closing a bank vault door when inserting the pistol.

This is my third holster from him-his work is magnificent, and he's a great guy to work with. An unhesitating solid Recommend for anyone needing/preferring a leather holster.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 02-09-2021 at 05:38 PM.

Interesting.
    What base gun would you pick now, 15 years downtime?
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Interesting.
    What base gun would you pick now, 15 years downtime?
    Great question. here are others here on p-f that are far more 1911-centric and 1911 knowledgeable than I, so take this for what you think it's worth (and I'm certainly interested in what others would recommend):

If I was to start today with a solid 1911, either intrinsically as is comes or as a base gun, here are my thoughts:

1. One of the Colt Classics (or, even better yet, if you can find one of the discontinued Series 70 Reproductions); Yeah, it'll have sharp edges, but the gun and basic specs will be rock-solid;

2. One of the Dan Wessons;

3. The Springfield Armory Vickers model (hey, a well spec'ced and resonably priced "name" endorsed 1911-be still, my beating heart...);

4. A Ruger 1911 (a decent entry-model)

5. An Alchemy-I think today they're the only semi-custom maker I'd feel totally comfortable in spending $2,500 + on

6. A used 1911 from a reputable manufacturer, and then send it to Jason Burton etc. for a chassis-up rennovation/bespoke improvement

I like the idea of one having an integral plunger tube (one less thing to go south), but that in and of itself isn't a key criteria per se.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Great question. here are others here on p-f that are far more 1911-centric and 1911 knowledgeable than I, so take this for what you think it's worth (and I'm certainly interested in what others would recommend):

If I was to start today with a solid 1911, either intrinsically as is comes or as a base gun, here are my thoughts:

1. One of the Colt Classics (or, even better yet, if you can find one of the discontinued Series 70 Reproductions); Yeah, it'll have sharp edges, but the gun and basic specs will be rock-solid;

2. One of the Dan Wessons;

3. The Springfield Armory Vickers model (hey, a well spec'ced and resonably priced "name" endorsed 1911-be still, my beating heart...);

4. A Ruger 1911 (a decent entry-model)

5. An Alchemy-I think today they're the only semi-custom maker I'd feel totally comfortable in spending $2,500 + on

6. A used 1911 from a reputable manufacturer, and then send it to Jason Burton etc. for a chassis-up rennovation/bespoke improvement

I like the idea of one having an integral plunger tube (one less thing to go south), but that in and of itself isn't a key criteria per se.

Best, Jon
    These are all spot on IMO.

It all really depends on what people mean by "base gun" and whether that is a gun to send to a gunsmith or a no frills pistol with the basic stuff you want on it.

The Springfield RO series is solid. As is the Ruger and the Colt competition model.

If you're looking for a grab it and go (with maybe some mild reliability work) Dan Wesson is a very solid choice, as would be a Springfield TRP or their Operator or Vickers series.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

On Saturday, I ran the GSR XO in an IDPA match-I was the Match Director, and deliberately designed a 7 stage match with a low minimum ammunition round count (56 round minimum); all stages were unlimited, so if you felt the need to make make-up shots (or had the ammunition and had an uncontrollable urge to just let loose...). The idea was to have a challenging match that recognized the current ammunition shortage especially critical for newer gun owners in many cases. No one complained or made overt moves to string me up on the flagpole, so I'll count it as at least a conceptual success.

The gun and Privateer holster ran superbly. A couple of specific comments regarding things I observed during my use during the match:

-The gun ran like a proverbial sewing machine with the BH SS 16' recoil spring; standard-pressure Sellier & Bellot 230 gr cartridges were used. Excellent cycling, chambering and ejection throughout. TW25B was my lubrication for areas of metal-on-metal reciprocation, and Weapon Shield or Lucas Extreme Duty gun oil used as a general lube/anti-corrosive.

-The Privateer holster was excellent-both in terms of operational effectiveness and comfort. In initial use after I received it fom Wes Dahl, I noticed that the belt loop securing grippers cold be inadvertatly un-gripped, due to movement from a heavy jacket, but Wes assured me that the grippers would take a "set" in a short amount of use, which has in fact been the case. Wes assured me that if the problem did not self-solve, he'd send me a replacement set of grippers, which was appreciated but unnecessary. I'll also pont out that the design of the belt loop straps and how they interface with the body of the holster makes holster loosening even with unintentional gripper opening highly unlikely. While I think I prefer his fixed slot models, this holster is eminently usable and comfortable.

-The BH SS and RDIH components (and recently BH SS announced the merger of the two companies) worked extremely well. I especially like the RDIH extended slide release. The ambi magzine release works just fine, but I have yet to have a situational need where I need to activate the magazine release using the ambi side; but it's a nice option to have when situationally necessary. The standard button release works just fine.

-The VCD grips are flat-out excellent. I like the slightly shallower craters in the thumbscoop model-it's a little less abrasive against clothing. The grips allow for hand trandsitions, but really lock your hand down in use-which really pays off not only in standard free-style (two-handed) shooting, but particularly in one-handed shooting. This is a great benefit with a heavier, more muzzle-heavy pistol, like a 5" Government platform. Combining with the SIG's 25 LPI frontstrap checkering provides an excellent grip, regardless of the circumstances or moisture on the grips.

-Check-Mate Black Oxide 8 round Extended Tube, skirted/dimpled follower, hybrid feed lip magazine were used throughout the match. One of Check-Mate's 10 round blued, hybrid feed lip, dimpled/skirted follower magazines was utilized as my initial charger/Barney magazine. Magazines worked without any incident whatsoever, although in the low round count matches magazine reloads were pretty rare. The Black Oxide magazines were part of an experiental run of exceptionally high polished extended tube magazines of carbon steel tubes with the black oxide finish applied.

-Sights; the Novak .125 front, with a flourescent orange face with a dark blue dot and a .140 Novak Wide Notch rear worked beautifully, providing an easily acquired sight picture and continued accuracy. I was only 11 points don for the match, which is a low for me as I recall. I very rarely needed to make any make up/pick up shots-and those needed were on me and my technique, not due to any fault of the sights.

-Magazine pouch was my Wilderness Double Ugly pouch, which has performed yeoman service since the early 1990s. Similarly, my belt was a 1.5" 5-Stitch Wilderness Frequent Flyer, with Delrin buckle rings. It' been a good belt for duty, casual wear and competition over the years.

And there you have it. This match probably provided me with the best competition run I've had with the GSR XO; I really like the incrimental hardware improvements, coupled with software improvements from dryfire and being a student of the gun.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 03-22-2021 at 08:47 AM.

As to the #2 recommendation above, for a Dan Wesson...

Definitely not trying to speak for him, but when I sent my DW A2 1911 to John Harrison for some improvements, he told me that it had been a while since he'd seen a DW, and was very impressed with the overall quality, that it was a great gun as is, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend one as a base gun for a full build, where he'd normally recommend a Springfield or Colt. That was nice to hear, as it made me feel I'd made a wise choice in buying what I had read was a great 1911.

Several years ago, CZ/Dan Wesson did a 1911A1; I believe only around 1,000 were made. It competed head-to-head with the Colt Series 70; it'll be very interestng with the CZ-buyout of Colt if that particular 1911 will show up again as a catalog item. Since Colt has moved away from the Series 70 Reproductions, instead going to the Classic (which is nice enough on its own, but has some differences which move it a bit away from the niche the Series 70 occupied), the CZ-re-entry would be very welcomed, I suspect.

Best, Jon

User Tag List