Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 45-70 Gut Check

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    I'm wanting to try one of these but dang I can't convince myself to stick velcro on what I consider a beautiful gun...
    I did find this but it does send money to Conglomo and isn't laced like my sentimentality addled brain would prefer:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L5CV3J1...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Still, probably starting there. Inexpensive, leather, adjustable, and easily ditched.

Plus one on the HPG buttstock carrier.
    I have three of them.
    Shumba

When I owned a #1 in .405 I used a five round leather belt mounted cartridge holder from Cabelas. I learned to grab a cartridge or two and hold them cigar style in my left fingers while shooting. I got to be pretty quick on reloads. In fact when I shot my wildebeest in RSA the PH watched him dash 20 yards, crash into a tree and go to ground, he said “reload!”. I said I did, he said “reload?”, I pointed at the empty brass laying between us and said “yes sir”.

Dammit! Now I want another #1...

1. I had a No 1 .45-70 and thought it was a hard kicker even for its weight. You might want to look at a Gould Express, Lyman 457122 330 grain hollowpoint mold. And keep the velocity down even so.

2. The cartridge loops on Bwana's safari jacket's breast are not for show. There is a rapid reload for the Farquharson that works pretty well with the Ruger.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Reloading is a good point. Don't know how many hours I've spent with one to three 20 or 16 gauge shells between my left fingers. Priced out some snap caps for the kid to practice. I prefer the colorful anodized aluminum for differentiation between live and inert to help avoid a buffalo-sized mishap.

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    As a #1 in 45-70 owner it seems odd to me that someone shortened the barrel, they are very short to start with due to the action. I bet that's a handy gun...
    Going back to this, picked up the gun, last night. It weighs 6lb 10oz with three cartridges in the partially filled generic stretchy butt cuff and 3-9x glass. Overall length, including recoil pad, is a hair shorter than my Winchester 94. Length of pull about 1.5" shorter than the levergun. I'll be curious to see if any of the NECG banded front sight bases will directly fit the muzzle or can be fit to it. Then to weigh it with that, Skinner rear, twin cartridge holder, and buffalo leather sling. Might come out lighter but will definitely be trimmer to carry and allow wrapping a hand around the chamber.

Kid'll run as many slugs as you let him to tear apart milk jugs at the range and his Mossy 510 is already a lightweight. My target bullet weight and velocity for the 45-70 don't just happen to very closely mimic 20 fauge foster slugs. They're intended to be a game-capable starting point with recoil he should handle just fine with the traditional specifications a side bonus. Turning the box of Hornady LeverEvolution into brass may be a different story, however.

Black powder or substitute. A friend of mine loads BP .45-70 and they're fun to shoot in his 1885.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    Reloading is a good point. Don't know how many hours I've spent with one to three 20 or 16 gauge shells between my left fingers. Priced out some snap caps for the kid to practice. I prefer the colorful anodized aluminum for differentiation between live and inert to help avoid a buffalo-sized mishap.

Going back to this, picked up the gun, last night. It weighs 6lb 10oz with three cartridges in the partially filled generic stretchy butt cuff and 3-9x glass. Overall length, including recoil pad, is a hair shorter than my Winchester 94. Length of pull about 1.5" shorter than the levergun. I'll be curious to see if any of the NECG banded front sight bases will directly fit the muzzle or can be fit to it. Then to weigh it with that, Skinner rear, twin cartridge holder, and buffalo leather sling. Might come out lighter but will definitely be trimmer to carry and allow wrapping a hand around the chamber.

Kid'll run as many slugs as you let him to tear apart milk jugs at the range and his Mossy 510 is already a lightweight. My target bullet weight and velocity for the 45-70 don't just happen to very closely mimic 20 fauge foster slugs. They're intended to be a game-capable starting point with recoil he should handle just fine with the traditional specifications a side bonus. Turning the box of Hornady LeverEvolution into brass may be a different story, however.
    I don't have a 45-70 but reloaded for a kid who does. He used some Lever Evolution ammo and it turns out it was loaded at the factory in shortened cases due to cartridge OAL limitations. Be sure to keep them separate from any proper 45-70 cases or you'll have a real pain in the ass with the final crimp.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    ...He used some Lever Evolution ammo and it turns out it was loaded at the factory in shortened cases due to cartridge OAL limitations. Be sure to keep them separate from any proper 45-70 cases or you'll have a real pain in the ass with the final crimp.

Thanks for the heads-up. Finding out the hards way would have seen me cussing a blue streak.

FWIW, Brownell’s also carries Ruger banded front sights in .310”, .325” and .350”, they used to carry the larger diameter bases too, maybe you can find them somewhere else.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...cturer_1=RUGER

The Hornady brass is shorter due to the length of their gummy tipped bullet and the constraints of the Marlin action. I get best accuracy with Starline brass and haven’t managed to wear any of it out over the past 15 years shooting .45-70 but I’m not competing with it either.

Too bad you’re not nearby, I’d let you guys shoot my 7# .45-70 TC “Katahdin” carbine.

https://www.tcarms.com/firearms/inte...unter-katahdin

After a couple rounds from it anything in your #1 will feel like a maiden’s kiss.

Edit to add
    Numerich has the new style base in .550” ID

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/225160

Along with the spring, plunger and set screw.
    Last edited by Rick R; 12-30-2020 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Found it!

I own a Ruger No. 1 in .45-70 and it's one of my favorite rifles. Dunno that I'd recommend that platform for a young person, though, unless they had already demonstrated a high degree of equanimity towards recoil. The big Ruger kicks.

The round is easy to load for. The Ruger will easily digest all the load data in all the manuals, starting with the old trapdoor loads, through the Marlin lever action recipes, and ending up with the very stout, No. 1-specific stuff that will knock your fillings loose. A 300 grain bullet will shoot a little flatter than the classic 405 grain boolit you're looking at. More importantly, it will have noticeably less recoil. That's what I'd go with.

I'd also dispense with the notion of trying to conjure any kind of quick follow-up shot, whether that be a couple of rounds held in the off hand, African-double-rifle-on-dangerous-game style, or one of those quirky mittens that slips on or Velcro's to the stock. If your boy takes to the big Ruger, it being a single-shot will teach him things that nothing else will. No sleight to those legions of men carrying Remington 700's and Winchester Model 70's and Ruger 77's and such like - that being the way of the world, after all - but hunting with a single-shot changes you. If your boy carries that No. 1 for a few years, he'll be a profoundly different hunter.

User Tag List