Thread: e2 to e4

e2 to e4

Talked to @cheby today. He said he downloaded a chess playing app. Says both sports have GM designations, and drew some other parallels. I think he may be high on pain meds after a recent arm seppuku attempt but I do wonder if it may help in breaking down memory stages. Anybody can relate?
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I can't speak to chess, but re: memory stages -

One of the things I do to train for memory stages in dry fire is to pick specific targets in a specific order from various shooting positions out of all the targets I have hung in my garage for dry fire. The order or number of targets may make no sense. For example, If I have a collection of 8 targets in one spot, I may only shoot at 4 of them from a certain position, and I may not shoot them in a logical order. Then I'll mentally rehearse that shooting plan several times and then run the course once. I'll then come up with a new random shooting order and target selection from various positions and repeat.

I found that early on in doing this, I made a lot of mental mistakes where I would shoot more targets than I planned from a position or shoot the right targets but not in the "planned" order. After several sessions of training this though, I got to where I was nailing the plan 9 out of 10 times, with only little execution mistakes once in awhile.

This is only a small portion of my dry fire, but I rarely make stage plan execution mistakes (i.e. where I do something that I didn't plan to do) in actual matches anymore.

I dry fire in my basement. Even though I've over a dozen targets in 270 deg arrangement, my ability to set a confusing arrangement is limited. That said, I am gonna try it.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

1. @cheby, WTF? Hope it's not serious.
    2. Really complicated memory stages are dumb, and don't test practical shooting. They are especially hard on newer shooters, who get penalized with a bunch of M/FTSA. If new shooters are zeroing a stage, the stage design sucks. Fortunately--at least at the matches I've attended in the last few years--memory stages are becoming less popular.
    3. When I realized that small differences in stage plans don't usually contribute much to the overall score, memory stages got a lot easier. I just figure out a straightforward way to shoot all the targets.
    4. You need to make things complicated to win at chess, and usually making things simple is the way to win at USPSA.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    And here I was thinking, “whose kid got promoted?”

User Tag List