Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: American Humor

I'd add Steve Martin, but he is sort of already covered by by the early SNL era.

Let's not forget Johnny Carson, and the roasts of the 60s and 70s, with Dean Martin, Jerry Lewis, Sammy Davis Jr. and other similar acts.

Seinfeld.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    6. Animal House
    I usually include Blues Brothers with Animal House for the perfect double-feature.

Lots of good stuff so far.

I’d just add that I grew up watching Dennis Miller Live and kind of feel like it shaped my sense of humor.

I also liked Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I submit 'Pinky and the Brain'. Steven Spielberg was not doing a kid's cartoon.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

- Abbott & Costello
    - Three Stooges
    - Classic Looney Tunes
    - Get Smart
    - The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    "Parks and Recreation" had the same essential format as the American version of "The Office" which had the same format as the British version of "The Office", so I'm not sure that counts.

I'd probably list "30 Rock", as well as Eddie Murphy's standup and his better movies.

Will Ferrell and Jim Carrey's films: "Anchorman", "Talladega Nights", "Ace Ventura", "Dumb and Dumber", et cetera. Should note the teen sex genre with "Porky's", "American Pie", and such.

"Def Comedy Jam" from the 90s.

ETA: Can't forget Mike Judge. "Beavis and Butt-head", "King of the Hill", "Silicon Valley", "Office Space", "Idiocracy".
    Thank you. You are the one of the few who mentioned anything that wasn't 30 years old or older...

I love Blazing Saddles but you couldn't make it today - like a lot of the old classics mentioned-it was for an America that no longer exists.

-Jeff Dunham
    -Minions
    -Tremors
    -The Incredibles
    -Make me laugh - the PF memes thread - EASILY TRIGGERED KEEP OUT
    -Calvin & Hobbes
    -Black Rifle Coffee
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    I'd add Steve Martin, but he is sort of already covered by by the early SNL era.
    When Steve Martin was here in Europe and was speeding, he had to do the EU standard drunk test:

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Eddie Murphy's standup and his better movies.
    Beverly Hills Cop 1 is so great! I re-watched it a few weeks ago. Still like the soundtrack very much.
    Last edited by P30; 12-30-2020 at 06:25 AM.

Will Rogers
    James Thurber
    Rick & Morty
    Archer
    Andrew “Dice” Clay
    Ignore Alien Orders

I find it unbelievable that this thread is three pages deep discussing American humor and nobody has mentioned Jonathan Winters!

User Tag List