Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger M77 scope mounting/shimming help

Ruger M77 scope mounting/shimming help

Heirloom gun, Bicentennial Ruger M77 in .30-06. I’ve had several Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40’s on this rifle and also a couple Vari-x III 2.5-8x36’s. I wanted a little longer tube to be a little more forgiving of eye relief and head position when wearing bulky winter clothes in late deer season.

I just got my hands on a Vari-x III 3.5-10x40 AO mode and it is JUST kissing the barrel. Without going to higher rings, is there any other way to use this scope? Shim the bottoms of the ring halves with a strip of thin plastic or electrical tape?

Can’t shim the mounts because it’s a Ruger M77 = direct-mount rings

Name:  875EF9D5-3BA8-43F7-9D6D-6FCABE825E92.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  68.2 KB
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Are they factory rings? Might aftermarket rings such as Leupolds be slightly different height? I know I like the quality of Leupolds better than factory.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Are they factory rings? Might aftermarket rings such as Leupolds be slightly different height? I know I like the quality of Leupolds better than factory.
    They are factory rings
    Food Court Apprentice

On my M77 .308 I was able to push the scope forward just enough to clear the barrel and swap out the butt pad to the thinner factory red one to make up the distance. You can also get rings in other heights

RUGER 1" SCOPE RING | Brownells

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    On my M77 .308 I was able to push the scope forward just enough to clear the barrel and swap out the butt pad to the thinner factory red one to make up the distance. You can also get rings in other heights

RUGER 1" SCOPE RING | Brownells
    I know they come in other heights but:

1. I have these
    2. They’re hard to find in gloss
    3. I like this cheekweld.

Gonna try a strip of 12ga hull in the bottom ring and see what happens.
    Food Court Apprentice

The problem with that is shimming will make the ring narrower as well as raising the bottom. Narrower makes it an excessive interference fit on the sides of the scope and you'll force the threads for the screws out of alignment with the upper ring holes, tending to cross thread them if you can thread them at all, making the rings unusable. You may be better off just buying new rings and selling these.

Although one nice thing about Ruger using different height rings is you can just buy one new ring and move the taller existing ring to the shorter ring position.
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post

Although one nice thing about Ruger using different height rings is you can just buy one new ring and move the taller existing ring to the shorter ring position.
    Name:  F5FD8A78-9CF4-4E2B-A215-A86DE9524E32.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  25.2 KB
    Food Court Apprentice

Not sure whether you're giving me some good natured crap about stating something "everyone" already knows, but assuming that's not the case...

https://shopruger.com/searchscopering.asp

Notice how the low, medium, and high setups just move the rear ring to the front position to go up a "height" level. The red underlined text is links that takes you to all the rings of that spec.

Name:  Ruger rings.png
Views: 733
Size:  38.4 KB
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 04-05-2021 at 11:06 PM.
    Not another dime.

Shimming inside a ring sounds like a good way to bend or dent a scope tube.

I have seen bases shimmed, and I really dont like it. Buddy had a .338WM that he used shims under a base, and it always seemed to work itself loose.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    Shimming inside a ring sounds like a good way to bend or dent a scope tube.

I have seen bases shimmed, and I really dont like it. Buddy had a .338WM that he used shims under a base, and it always seemed to work itself loose.
    This.

If you shim it, either the scope will not be held securely enough to hold zero, or if you crank her down, you will damage the scope in a way Leupold may not warranty.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List