Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 640 Carry Comp

Site Supporter

S&W 640 Carry Comp

New to me S&W 640 Carry Comp
    I just lucked into a S&W 640 Carry Comp from the performance center. It was an expensive j frame but much cheaper than a k frame carry comp. The box says it’s a 170043. It has a surprisingly good action. This 640’s action is as good as a buddy’s S&w model 60 tuned by Karl Sokol. I think it’s a Lew Horton gun but I don’t want to know if it’s rare. I plan on shooting it. I’m still looking for a 642 carry comp so if anybody knows of one; help me out.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Site Supporter
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]65348
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Site Supporter
    Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    New to me S&W 640 Carry Comp
    I just lucked into a S&W 640 Carry Comp from the performance center. It was an expensive j frame but much cheaper than a k frame carry comp. The box says it’s a 170043. It has a surprisingly good action. This 640’s action is as good as a buddy’s S&w model 60 tuned by Karl Sokol. I think it’s a Lew Horton gun but I don’t want to know if it’s rare. I plan on shooting it. I’m still looking for a 642 carry comp so if anybody knows of one; help me out.
    Very nice!

If it's the no dash, .38 Special: made in two batches - one definitely Lew Horton; the other branded as the Paxton Quigley edition and leveraged off her female self defense books. Can't remember if the latter was also Lew Horton or not. I've been eyeballing one awhile on a dealer site. If it is the .38, any chance you could measure the overall length?

Site Supporter
    It’s a 38 special. Do you want the Barrel length?

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    It’s a 38 special. Do you want the Barrel length?
    More the overall length. If it's at 7" or less I might actually buy the one I've been eyeballing, if it's over it won't fit one of my uses. I've seen at least three different lengths cited on the barrels. I think different sources are measuring the compensator differently. Plus the cylinder window should be slightly shorter than say my J magnums. My bet is its a hair under 7 but never had a chance to confirm (well, you know, other than actually calling the dealer but that would be a step towards committing :-)

Does the comp help with .38 loads?

I have a 642 Carry Comp. Want me to torture you with pictures, or just go away quietly?

I will help you look for one, and shoot you a PM the instant I spot one.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Does the comp help with .38 loads?
    Yes, it does.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I have a 642 Carry Comp. Want me to torture you with pictures, or just go away quietly?

I will help you look for one, and shoot you a PM the instant I spot one.

Photos or it never happened. I have thick skin

User Tag List