Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rotator cuff issues

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I do those before every workout as part of my warm up...I can't say it's made a difference, but it hasn't hurt.
    @blues I think the benefit is in recovering range of motion. First range of motion, then work on strength. At least that's been my experience. Sounds like you've got ROM down.

Site Supporter
    This has been a good maintenance exercise for me (Athlean x has a lot of good stuff).

Edited to add: Sometimes I will just do the pull apart motion without the band, if I'm sore and need some relief.

Not to thread drift, but has anyone tried Turkish Get-Ups to ameliorate shoulder issues?

Exclamation

Most folks do 10x internal rotation in the course of a day as external rotation

Front of shoulder gets stronger and more imbalanced making impingement and instability worse.

As soon as I started doing external rotation with resistance bands, all weird popping and such went away

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    Try a series of 30 sec hangs from a pullup bar. Just hanging, no pullups. This has helped me.
    I've just watched a couple of vids advocating this for strengthening and eventually healing some issues.

The recommendations was to collect 15 minutes a day for several months.

So, a pretty serious commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    @blues I think the benefit is in recovering range of motion. First range of motion, then work on strength. At least that's been my experience. Sounds like you've got ROM down.
    @Duces Tecum

My range and strength is fine for pressing and pulling movements...except that I can no longer do dips which used to be, (along with pull-ups), my strongest movement. Now, doing dips is something my shoulders will not abide. I guess getting 40+ good years of dips whether body weight or weighted was enough. Standing presses, kettlebells, bench presses are all okay.

So, basically, I can do all my movements in the weight room...it's just that I can never actually forget that my shoulder is not what it was. (Even if sitting, at the keyboard, or lying in bed on my Tempurpedic, it never forgets to send me a reminder.)

It could be worse...much worse.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Most folks do 10x internal rotation in the course of a day as external rotation

Front of shoulder gets stronger and more imbalanced making impingement and instability worse.

As soon as I started doing external rotation with resistance bands, all weird popping and such went away
    This is a big part of what they do in shoulder PT... at least in my case. Strengthening all the muscles of the shoulder can help stabilize it for sure. It wont fix torn bits though.

Site Supporter
    No, it won't fix torn bits.

But if you work up to full range of motion with resistance you can get your torn bits stronger than they were pre-torn. But it will likely be slow going. Stretching the pectorals, lats, forearms, and elbows will help a lot too. Quit pulling on the shoulders, especially if you sit at a desk.

Just reading this thread hurts. Injured my right shoulder just prior to 9/11 when my horse and I went down as a team slamming that shoulder into the dirt. Left shoulder sometime later in a well rehearsed mirror image crash. No surgery, but 2-3 times/year I'll reach for something in the back seat and regret doing so for about two weeks. Getting old is the pits but the alternate ain't so hot.

I hate to say it but this thread makes me feel a little better. I’m sitting in the parking lot of a local urgent care in order to get a script for PT for my left shoulder. I’ve got all the symptoms of a rotator cuff issue.

@LittleLebowksi, the older I get the more of my weekly workout goes to what Mark Verstegen calls “prehab” - all of the various, odd-looking exercises with bands, balls and little pink dumbbells. When I stay vigilant I can slow the inevitable aging process. When I get lazy, as I have recently, I end up in bad shape.

Hope your issue turns out to be easily treatable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List