Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rotator cuff issues

Rotator cuff issues

I had to get surgery for a SLAP tear after right shoulder issues resulting from competitive swimming (Masters) and a little BJJ. The problem is definitely back, I feel a popping and pain if I raise my elbow above a certain level. The ortho doc said it's not torn, probably just inflamed and gave it a shot of steroids until it heals which worked for a couple weeks, but now it's back worse than ever. Anyone else here ever deal with this? It's a right pain in my ass.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I had to get surgery for a SLAP tear after right shoulder issues resulting from competitive swimming (Masters) and a little BJJ. The problem is definitely back, I feel a popping and pain if I raise my elbow above a certain level. The ortho doc said it's not torn, probably just inflamed and gave it a shot of steroids until it heals which worked for a couple weeks, but now it's back worse than ever. Anyone else here ever deal with this? It's a right pain in my ass.
    Yes. Tore both labrums, rotator cuff repairs, removal of portion of the AC joint to address arthritis, and a screw to hold a bicep tendon in place. This has been about 8 years back, and now believe I've re-injured but done with the cutting. Hope you get it addressed properly by good physicians.

Site Supporter
    I have beat the shit out of my shoulders.

Smashwerx videos helped a lot, I know Paul Sharp is a fan too.

The ring pulls I do with a TRX at the gym, but you can get bands (from pat mac) or a travel TRX thing for pretty cheap. Your stance makes it easier or harder, start super light and do it everyday. If you're like me, you will have to pretty much do it forever, but I'm already at the gym/working out so it's a pretty minor sacrifice.

He puts out a bunch of videos, do them all until something works. I have helped several people with shoulder problems by pointing them to him and just try everything. Some work and some don't depending on your injury.

Anyone else here ever deal with this? It's a right pain in my ass.
    I never really went for a diagnosis, but have been troubled by my right shoulder even since I (AKA: Dumbass..) tried to yank a stubborn honeysuckle bush out with my ATV. The ATV is 4x4 so when it got to the end of the strap and stopped torque steer snapped the handlebars to the right and I was tossed rag doll like with all my weight onto my right shoulder. Just by nursing it I am back to the point of being able to draw a bow again, but it still hurts when I lift the milk out of the fridge. It is a bitch, but not bad enough, IMO, for a surgery.

And as I believe I have mentioned, I am pretty sure I actually did have my wife hold my beer...

I've been dealing with rotator cuff issues since a mountaineering injury in the Wind Rivers of your home state in 1974. I manage it with a regimen of rotator cuff exercises performed with bands and kettlebells...and while it is manageable, I feel and hear it daily.

I've never had surgery, but did a lot of self-therapy over the years by purchasing medical volumes, (Travell & Simons, Simons, Travell & Simons), on trigger point therapy in addition to the exercises above. This helped immensely and were worth the cost of purchase.

A more readily available book, (much less expensive), which is based largely on those medical books is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Trigger-Point...dp_ob_title_bk

There's nothing civil about this war.

Try a series of 30 sec hangs from a pullup bar. Just hanging, no pullups. This has helped me.

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    Try a series of 30 sec hangs from a pullup bar. Just hanging, no pullups. This has helped me.
    I do those before every workout as part of my warm up...I can't say it's made a difference, but it hasn't hurt.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    I can empathize all too F'n well.

I've dealt with a dysfunctional shoulder since my junior year in HS when I dislocated my right shoulder wrestling. Because I was a young hard charging athletic kid, It took me about seven years to get that shoulder working reliably again. Then I utterly destroyed my left shoulder. I've had that labrum reattached twice; been through about three years of physical therapy and to this day have issues. There are days when I struggle to put a vitamin in my mouth with my left hand. Reaching up into the cupboard to put away the dishes is always a Pandora's box of what sort of stupid pain am I going to find. My range of motion is abysmal. Sneezing of coughing while drunk can result in a dislocation. I can work it back in on my own but it's not fun.

I recently gave up trying to appease my shoulder. It hurts regardless of how well I treat it. No amount rest, thera-band exercise or PNF exercises is going to appease it. I've started lifting weights again, but my form and technique are highly questionable as there are things I just cant do. I'm really tired of trying to live my life around my shoulder.

I bought my twins slingshots for Christmas. Would have never guessed that was going to be an issue. I'm now teaching myself to shoot a slingshot weak handed. Currently reevaluating whether or not I can try bow hunting.

Shoulder injuries suck.
    Last edited by Crawls; 12-28-2020 at 12:30 PM. Reason: spelling

I will be following this thread with interest. I injured my left shoulder while playing raquetball in college. It took weeks/months to heal to where I had full range of motion back, and months/years before I fully trusted it again. (The wall was closer than I thought, I was running full speed toward it, and boom, smashed my shoulder into the wall with my full body weight behind it - I have no recollection of the time it took me to end up on the floor, just instantaneous transition from running to hellacious pain, and then weeks of doing my best not to use that arm at all after I made the mistake of telling the doctor that I could handle the pain.)

In the ~20 years since, it's mostly been OK, but lately I've had more frequent incidences of pain in that shoulder than has been typical, so if I can learn anything here that will bring me back to normal, or potentially even better, I'll be quite happy.

Ages ago, I had a bloody nose during the night, and went to get out of bed. As I put my right arm out while rolling out of bed, I didn't realize my feet were wound up in the covers, and I fell to the floor with my right arm extended, knocking the wind out of me and hyper extending my right shoulder. Initially there was not much obvious damage, and PT helped a lot... I have now been through multiple rounds of physical therapy, and dealt with shoulder issues for fifteen years or more now. The PT helped for quite a while, and injections helped for a short time after each one. I have a torn labrum and a torn rotator cuff, with possible bicep tendonosis. The pain has slowly increased with age, and now I occasionally get very sharp pain, occasional popping,
    and the dull ache is constant enough it disrupts my sleep. I still have decent strength and range of motion, but it is for sure weaker than my other side. I'm going for surgery in January.

Shoulder specific PT exercises can be a huge help, and buy you time before you have to get cut on. Waiting too long can be problematic too, from what I understand. I'm hoping I didn't wait too long.

User Tag List