Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: TQ carry options

I’ve been using the Ricci ankle kit for years. The first one lasted a few years but newer manufactured models are lasting a few months before the Velcro fails. I do love the concept though and the Ryker is on my list as a replacement. I keep a Celox Rapid bandage, double chest seal, CAT TQ, and pistol mag in mine. It also helps balance the weight of the G26 on my other ankle.

When I wear shorts I typically go without a TQ but am always keeping my eye out for new kit and ideas. I do keep some Rat TQ’s around as they are said to work better on small children and dogs. I have carried a SWAT-T when in shorts but it’s not my favorite TQ for its lack of easy one handed application.

Oh and regarding the “ankle monitor” look referenced here... maybe we need a thread on pants that work with ankle kit? I tried buying new suits last year. The current trend of that tapered leg made it look like I had giant tumors on my ankles. The idea of having complete custom suits made doesn’t make me happy.

Following this thread with interest as someone who needs to add a TQ to both my range bag and hiking pack as a 2021 resolution. Thanks to all for starting and contributing so this TQ noob can follow along.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Someone already mentioned a PHLster Flatpack. I saw one demonstrated at a class recently and it looked like a viable way of carrying a tourniquet on your belt that you could deploy with one hand. At $25, I'm picking one up as an experiment.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Someone already mentioned a PHLster Flatpack. I saw one demonstrated at a class recently and it looked like a viable way of carrying a tourniquet on your belt that you could deploy with one hand. At $25, I'm picking one up as an experiment.
    I have one and it's ok. Maybe I just need a flatter TQ.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I’ve described this before in another thread so apologies if it’s redundant.

I’m a big fan of the SFD Responder. I find that it responds well to being packed light, meaning it doesn’t remain bulky when you minimize the contents - it’s as low profile as what you put in it. Mine has just a Celox gauze pack, an HH compressed bandage, gloves, a SOFTT-W, and a Gerber rescue hook. I’ve even trimmed it to be smaller in circumference since it’s just not much bulk. It hides perfectly under properly fit straight leg jeans above a desert boot. If I needed to, I’d be perfectly happy reducing it down to just a TQ, since having that is the main reason I wear it anyway.

It’s also held up for two years or so of daily on/off use, and it stayed on through ECQC.

I’m going to be getting a pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers soon, and I’ll try to remember to update this with a report on how the ankle rig works with those.

Quote Originally Posted by NoTacTravis View Post
    Following this thread with interest as someone who needs to add a TQ to both my range bag and hiking pack as a 2021 resolution. Thanks to all for starting and contributing so this TQ noob can follow along.
    I keep an orange CAT TQ rubber banded to the shoulder strap of my range bag so it’s obvious if I need to send a runner to grab it. When instructing I use an Eleven 10 TQ holder on my belt where my cuffs normally ride.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Side note: I need a covert tourniquet holder. Ideas welcome.
    I just use the right rear pocket of my trousers. (Specifically the right rear pocket because whether I'm in jeans or cammies, all my trousers have that pocket so the location always stays the same.) Cheaper than buying a belt pouch. This method might not work so well with a CAT, but does work nicely with a flat folded SOFTT.

Apologies if I go over already discussed things.

I've used a ryker. Like it. An Izzy adds more bulk than a TQ, but both makes it pretty large. I can just about do this under jeans or chinos, not a suit. It looks like there might be something there if you know what to look for. Really depends on pants and shoes.

Usually slide a flat pack SOFTW into a back pocket or blazer side pocket when needed.

I've had some luck with a Ranger band (cut loop of bicycle innertube) attached to a short length of cord. Band goes around the TQ, cord gets cow-hitched to belt or belt loop. TQ shoved into waistband. You can play with height/access. I found that in the right spot, with the rubber on the lower end of the TQ vertically oriented, it stays in place, can be ripped out of the waistband with one hand, the band holding the TQ folded rips off and it's ready to go. If this needs pics, let me know. I'll try to get some up this weekend.

I have a question related to this thread topic.

I recently decided I wanted to have a TQ on me during USPSA matches. I put one of my Combat Action Tourniquets on a PHLSter Flatpack TQ carrier. I placed it on my CR Speed Belt, behind my strong side hip (I am a lefty). PHLster flatpack:

https://www.phlsterholsters.com/shop...iquet-carrier/

Name:  IMG_8061.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  54.6 KB

Since the shock cord that came with the carrier was black, I repurposed some gray colored shock cord because it was easier for me to see. I staged the TQ based on what I believe are best practices. I looped the red tail past the buckle about 7", then folded it twice. I kept the time tab out of the way, and put the windlass within the retainer, so it's as flat as possible. I've started to practice taking it off and putting it on one-handed.

Do you see anything in this setup that could be improved, or corrected? I'm not a medical type guy, for sure. TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Do you see anything in this setup that could be improved, or corrected? I'm not a medical type guy, for sure. TIA.
    Looks good to me. Best practice would be to place it where you can reach it with both hands, but it's not critical for your apparent use as you'll be around other shooters. If it's not being used for concealment, feel free to stack it vertically or however fits on the front of your belt. I keep mine forward of the holster.....vertically on my battle belt, flat/horizontal when concealing.

A bigger issue would be practicing with your carry TQ, which I may be misunderstanding but your post made it sound like you partake in this practice. This is a big no-no with the CAT in particular, which should be treated as a single-use item. Replace with an unmolested TQ, and visibly mark the current one as dedicated for skills practice only. Nothing wrong with keeping it around as a spare if you're short on TQs, but it shouldn't be relied upon.

Lastly, just something to keep in the back of your mind as time marches on: Consider replacing your CAT annually if you're wearing it overtly with exposure to the sun on a regular basis. I believe NAR advises every 4 months for people wearing them overtly on a daily basis, such as police, security and military. Plastic degrades from UV exposure and TQs are not exempt from science.....one of the hard lessons learned during GWOT.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List