Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: TQ carry options

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    @TGS, I've been looking for that recommended replacement schedule for the CAT T from NAR, but I can't find anything. Not doubting you, I just can't locate the info. Can you point me in the right direction? I'd like to provide the info to our department....we currently issue both the CAT T and the SWAT T tourniquet to officers.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    @TGS, I've been looking for that recommended replacement schedule for the CAT T from NAR, but I can't find anything. Not doubting you, I just can't locate the info. Can you point me in the right direction? I'd like to provide the info to our department....we currently issue both the CAT T and the SWAT T tourniquet to officers.
    Unfortunately I can't find a cite for the 4 month. I do have this to give you which is a military medical article to support a 4 month recommendation. CATs in the 5-6 month range were found to suffer a breakage 43% of the time compared to 5% for unweathered, fresh in packaging CAT TQs. Keep in mind that "breakage" for the study not only includes plastic physically breaking, but failures to occlude bloodflow because of excessive turns required...that accounts for straps weathering as well, not just windlasses breaking.

https://tacticalevolutiongroup.com/w...ring-Study.pdf

The article doesn't make the 4 month recommendation specifically, and it simply says to carry them 1) in the wrapper and 2) inside an IFAK, not externally. That's obviously not an acceptable practice for individual users who actually need a TQ. Keep in mind that the 10-year service life on the CAT as mandated by the US Army Surgical Institute is a shelf life and only applicable to it being preserved in the plastic wrap. I think some institutions/management teams get tied up on that and think it means something that it's not.

So, sorry I couldn't give you a "NAR says XYZ" documentation, but hopefully you can write an informed memo using this. For the SOFT-TW TQs that I carry externally, I keep them in covered/flapped pouches that shield the TQ.

ETA: I am the liaison/contact for the company sized paramilitary police element performing force protection at our installation. When I did a drill with them, I inquired about tourniquets.....even these guys "get it", and give up an AK mag pouch or stripper clip pouch (for those carrying SKSs) to carry their American supplied CAT TQ.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I have a question related to this thread topic.

I recently decided I wanted to have a TQ on me during USPSA matches. I put one of my Combat Action Tourniquets on a PHLSter Flatpack TQ carrier. I placed it on my CR Speed Belt, behind my strong side hip (I am a lefty). PHLster flatpack:

https://www.phlsterholsters.com/shop...iquet-carrier/

Attachment 65584

Since the shock cord that came with the carrier was black, I repurposed some gray colored shock cord because it was easier for me to see. I staged the TQ based on what I believe are best practices. I looped the red tail past the buckle about 7", then folded it twice. I kept the time tab out of the way, and put the windlass within the retainer, so it's as flat as possible. I've started to practice taking it off and putting it on one-handed.

Do you see anything in this setup that could be improved, or corrected? I'm not a medical type guy, for sure. TIA.
    @TGS To clarify, ‘practice’ just meant ‘making sure I could remove the TQ from the carrier, shake it out, get it loosely around my arm, pull the red tab snug, and put my hand on (but not turn) the windlass’. I figured if I was going to carry it I should make sure I could work it.

But thanks, it hadn’t occurred to me that my CATS are lifed items. Just like my training, I’m in the process of refreshing all my safety gear this year, including a TCCC based GSW/Trauma/defib/CPR cert renewal. Appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Like most everything in life, it's a balance. Carrying a tourniquet is a great idea. It's much more likely to make a physical difference in the real world then a spare magazine. I seldom carry one in the summer, I just keep them in my vehicles. I used to carry a RAT but apparently they suck and I've not gotten a tourniquet holder I like for regular attire. I am objectively less prepared for bad things happening due to that. But I accept the risk of having it in the car instead of on me.

Side note: I need a covert tourniquet holder. Ideas welcome.
    Like you, I carry a med kit in my truck, and another in the backpack I sometimes carry. Ankle carry doesn't work in a place were shorts, or long pants with sandals, are the uniform of the day. Mostly I don't carry one, but when I do it's a sucky RAT in a cargo pocket. TBH, I'm much more concerned about taking hits to the chest than extremities.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

We have guys carrying the same TQ for several years. I’ve suspected that wasn’t a good idea and have suggested replacing them all. Mine is in a Ryker AFAK covered by my pants but everyone else has an exposed 1110 belt pouch.

I also have my own blue training CAT for my own practice use so as not to put any wear on the EDC one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Like you, I carry a med kit in my truck, and another in the backpack I sometimes carry. Ankle carry doesn't work in a place were shorts, or long pants with sandals, are the uniform of the day. Mostly I don't carry one, but when I do it's a sucky RAT in a cargo pocket. TBH, I'm much more concerned about taking hits to the chest than extremities.
    If you wear a lot of pants or shorts with cargo pockets, why not flat fold a SOFTTW and replace the RAT? It should easily fit in a cargo pocket. I wear a lot of the Mountain Khaki pants that have the single, vertical cell phone pocket on the right leg. It’s like a narrow cargo pocket. I keep a flat folded SOFTTW in there.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Dark Angel Medical has 25% off: NY2021

Just FYI.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    @TGS, thanks very much for that. I'm gonna forward that info to our TEMS coordinator, who's a Sergeant on out SWAT team and a paramedic. This came up because a whole bunch of our cops are attaching the Black Box Tactical Accessory Plate to their ALS holsters to carry their tourniquet in an 1110 holder, or using the US Grunt Gear Tourniquet Strap in the same location. Of course, all of these modifications of department issued holsters were also done without approval, and not by Range Staff, in violation of policy, because young guys are gonna roll how they like. A couple have asked though, and pointed out the common practice. I'm just trying to get a good feel for whether or not it's a good idea or not....and I'm leaning towards not, unfortunately.

No specific knowledge on those products in particular, but they should definitely be wearing them externally and unwrapped for efficacies sake. The CATs should just be replaced routinely (my recommendation every 4 months, but I swear I saw that in writing somewhere once upon a time).

Kind of like filters for Avon masks. They should be taken out of the factory packaging and filters attached to the mask when placed in your gear bag so that they're ready to use...but they need to be replaced every year.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Looking for uniform IFAK options on the North American Rescue website, I noticed they offer an IWB TQ carrier. No experience or opinion, but putting it out there.

User Tag List