Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Springfield Armory EMP - reliable 9mm sized "1911"?

Site Supporter

Springfield Armory EMP - reliable 9mm sized "1911"?

The threads on 9mm 1911 reliability got me thinking. I have a Springfield Armory 5inch Range Officer 9mm 1911 which has been very reliable and fun to shoot. A friend has a SA EMP 4 inch "1911" 9mm that he likes. I have seen some pretty attractive pricing locally on SA EMP 4inch 9mm. What is the group experience with the SA EMP?

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    The threads on 9mm 1911 reliability got me thinking. I have a Springfield Armory 5inch Range Officer 9mm 1911 which has been very reliable and fun to shoot. A friend has a SA EMP 4 inch "1911" 9mm that he likes. I have seen some pretty attractive pricing locally on SA EMP 4inch 9mm. What is the group experience with the SA EMP?
    I have the 40cal 4" EMP - took over 100 rounds to break it in - some failures to feed in that first 100-150 rounds -after the first 100-150 rounds, the gun has run like a scalded ape. I have found that my 40 prefers the 155gr 40 cal ammo over the 180's as far as POA=POI. I have been told to look at the recoil spring/guide rod system touted by Galloway precision as a fix to finicky EMPs. Dont know much about that since my gun is running fine after that first 100 or so

Super easy to AIWB carry!
    Johnny Walker

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I've only seen a couple and they didn't run well in class.
    3/15/2016

A friend has one (the 4" CCC) that is ammo sensitive. Runs great with the right ammo. I think I saw some place that they are noted for having tight chambers.

Also, the ejector is glued in rather than being pinned. I guess that works fine, until it doesn't.

Site Supporter
    Juice is not worth the squeeze to determine if one is reliable enough and will stay reliable enough. Particularly in these "ammo" times.

If you are going to go down the road;

Figure out a practice load it likes and a defensive load it likes with the numbered magazines you have.

Stay on top of the magazines re spring tension and feed lip spread.

Stay on top of the recoil spring. I would change out every 500 rds as cheap insurance based on the vicarious experience/recommendation of others of others sub 4 inch gun -500rds, Sub 5 inch gun -1000 rounds, 5 inch gun -3000 rounds.

Doing those things and documenting everything, will maximize determining if the platform is and will remain reliable.

Bottom line-if this is a range toy- do whatever. If this is going to be a defensive tool- far better choices with much less ya ya imho.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

My sample of an early one was not reliable. In my wife's hands it would do weird things including failure to fire even though the hammer dropped. Sending it back to Springfield did not fix the issue.

Except for the reliability issues, I absolutely loved that gun but I ended up selling to a guy with full disclosure.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    I had a 3 inch last year. Black one.

Out of the gate, it seemed to work fine with FMJ. Wouldn't feed hollowpoints. I think I had Federal Hydrashoks? They'd stop on the very top of the ramp.

I sent it back to SA. They knocked-down the top edge of the ramp a little. Maybe polished it, too? Said they also tuned the extractor. It ran HPs fine, after that.

It shot pretty well. Didn't have any feeding problems. Then the front sight fell off. Sent it back to SA... new sights. Just lost interest in it after that. Sold it.

Here's my unnecessarily pedantic write up on 80% of the above-referenced experience: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l-Range-Report

I have a 3" EMP in 9mm caliber. Purchased it in 2008, IIREC. Originally purchased for my wife, but she hated it. I have never had any reliability issues with it, including hollow point ammo and hand loads. But zI also haven't shot more than 600-700 rounds through it. I hasn't been used much in the past 3-4 years.

Back in my 1911 days, I carried an EMP .40. It felt great in the hand, and shot quite accurately. The trigger was outstanding out of the box. However, as with every single one of my 1911s regardless of price, it had serious issues. The Swenson style ambi safety came loose due to the flimsy wedge that holds it together, causing the action to lock up. It had FTF malfunctions, and finally after a kaboom due to a very poorly-supported chamber that blew one of grip panels off, destroyed a magazine, and hurt my hand, I sold it.

But other than that, it was an awesome gun.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Back in my 1911 days, I carried an EMP .40. It felt great in the hand, and shot quite accurately. The trigger was outstanding out of the box. However, as with every single one of my 1911s regardless of price, it had serious issues. The Swenson style ambi safety came loose due to the flimsy wedge that holds it together, causing the action to lock up. It had FTF malfunctions, and finally after a kaboom due to a very poorly-supported chamber that blew one of grip panels off, destroyed a magazine, and hurt my hand, I sold it.

But other than that, it was an awesome gun.
    LOL

User Tag List