Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Spare carry mags? Really?

But seriously, does anybody here work on risk calculators? In last several months there have been days when I carried nothing, some days I carried a J, most days 48 without reload but some with, then also a 19x with and without, and a couple of days SR30 with two mags.

What I don't get is when somebody arrives to their own, reasonably legitimate, decision but then asks the question in a tone of incredulity about choices of others.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

We're getting into duty belt territory here, that EDC list is starting to get pretty long.

1. Primary Weapon
    2. Spare magazine (or two)
    3. Flashlight
    4.OC Spray
    5. Knife
    6. Backup gun
    7. IFAK
    8. Cell Phone
    9. Wallet
    10. Keys
    Last edited by andre3k; 12-28-2020 at 03:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_J View Post
    That's what I carry. I know carrying a spare mag is good, there's no question about that. The reasons have been discussed. However, it's a decision derived from paranoia, which makes me question the actual chances of needing it. You just never really know I guess, that's all it comes down to.
    Good point.

You changed my mind. I will stop carrying a spare mag now.

Thanks, man.

/thread
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    Is this thread really happening?
    Many thanks to the OP for his thought provoking contribution to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    I doubt anyone here is going to force you to carry a spare mag if you don't want to.

Everyone does his own risk calculus. If you don't want to carry a spare, don't.
    Enough Said, End the Thread. (everyone chant in chorus)
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

If you have a malfunction with a spare magazine, no sweat: rip that fucker out of there, load the new one, go back to doing whatever you are doing. Doesn't matter what the malfunction is! Your options are racking the slide, and a complete reload. The first will probably work, the second will definitely work, which you choose is up to you, how you're trained, and what the situation is. With no spare magazine, you're channeled into this thing called a "reload with retention", where you have to clear a gun whilst holding onto your one magazine, potentially also whilst fighting some guy who you just shot and who--this is key--wasn't discouraged by that.

I would also point out that some people you shoot will have friends, and some of those friends will be able to count. Not a big deal if you have a 17-round 9mm. Bigger deal if you live in a 10-round state or carry a subcompact, because counting to ten is easier. Let's say you use the "standard" of three rounds fired, and your buddy has two friends of his own. A 10-round blaster will be down to 7, or 8 if you +1 it. That gives you just three rounds apiece for two additionals, leaving you with a scant 1-2 extra rounds. Now bear in mind that these two (a) were not dissuaded by you gunning down Cletus, (b) know your armed, and (c) probably have a plan for dealing with that. That's hardly an unrealistic scenario.

I get the whole idea, but how realistic is it... Maybe if you live in an area with high crime. But even if you do, what are the chances of not only firing your pistol, but having to reload it? It's the 0.001% chance of being in that situation that has redefined carry essentials. I watched the new TFB video about the Glock 43 vs. 43X vs. 48 and they say having a grip that's .75" longer is no big deal because it offers much more ammo capacity.

I think being able to conceal it in the first place is where you should start, not with capacity.

With lots of videos where Navy Seals give you their opinion on EDC items and how many mags you should stow in your belt, I think it has led many people thinking you need to be prepared for 10 guys trying to kill you like we are living in a John Wick movie.
    Being in a gunfight, at all, is a statistical anomaly. Being “realistic” should mean leaving the gun(s) at home. Pistols are a nice hobby, but why carry my hobby around, with me? Plus, the number of places that I cannot legally enter, with the pistol, makes life complicated. I am more free, to move about, and enter places, if I leave the pistol at home.

If carrying the pistol, itself, is realistically unnecessary, then, yes, the spare magazine, too, is unnecessary.

Well, OK, let’s assume that I do carry my security blanket, uh, I mean pistol, with me. I have been, well, blessed, to have possessed several pistols that tended to need more than just tap-and-rack to get back into firing condition. It has been more like tap, rack, uh oh, rip out that mag and let it fall, rack-rack-rack, reload. No, I do not carry such pistols, nor keep them very long, but they have conditioned me to be very willing to totally shed a magazine, and, therefore, see the spare magazine as important.

On the matter of ammo capacity, well, I mostly hang out in the Revolvers section of P-F.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Not even a good troll attempt. I give it 3/10 possible, and you only get the three because of nostalgia. The whole “why carry a spare mag” post is so 2002 arfcom.

ETA:
    After reading through the rest of the thread, I’m upping the score to 5/10 due to the number of insecure people that took the bait and responded to defend their life choices.
    Last edited by rob_s; 12-28-2020 at 06:36 AM.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

That's what I carry. I know carrying a spare mag is good, there's no question about that. The reasons have been discussed. However, it's a decision derived from paranoia, which makes me question the actual chances of needing it. You just never really know I guess, that's all it comes down to.
    You’re already carrying a gun in suburban America.

You’re already a victim of paranoia.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    And gives me a warm feeling that I am a few rounds shy of a box of ammo in my pants.
    Given that carrying a firearm is all about the “warm feeling” for virtually all non-professional carriers (and even some professionals), if adding mags to the woobie makes one feel more warm then what business is it of anyone else’s?

Lets take malfunctions and dropping your own magazine without realizing it out of the equation.

The average number of shots fired in a self defense situation is ...... 2 shots.

I get it though, that one in 25 lifetimes chance could be just around the corner.
    If my day is going so badly that I need a pistol, I figure it might also be bad enough that I'll need a reload. In the tradition of things that do you no good: fuel in the bowser, altitude above you, and a mag full of ammo at home on the dresser.

User Tag List