Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Spare carry mags? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_J View Post
    Murphy's Law: "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong".

So carrying in the first place is an example of preparing for the worst, and carrying a spare mag is preparing for the next worst thing. But at what point does this burden intersect with reality?
    See the part of my post where I said that I view it as a "why not" rather than a "must have."

And if you carry a pistol that malfunctions from time to time, why are you carrying it?
    No matter how perfectly reliable your gun has been over the last X thousand rounds, it can still malfunction. It's a machine, and machines (and their parts) break from time to time. As others have said, mags are the most likely failure point of most auto-loading guns.

There is also the remote possibility that you do get into a truly shitty situation where the amount of ammo that's in the gun isn't enough to solve the problem and you actually need to reload.

Further, if I ever get into the unfortunate situation of having to shoot someone, I kind of want the spare mag so that I can reload and have a full gun while I'm on the phone with 911, in case other trouble decides to find me while I'm waiting for the cops to arrive.

Anything mechanical can break or malfunction even if it’s never done it before. I guess it depends on what you mean by from time to time.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Is this thread really happening?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    And a single double stack mag (or a pair of single stacks) isn't all that much of an extra burden. I've toted both with a 1911 under a t-shirt and shorts in the Florida summer.
    Honestly even a pair of double stack mags isn't that big of a deal to conceal while wearing shorts and a T-shirt, and it's certainly not a burden in terms of weight. I've done two double-stack mags + an OWB holster under just a T-shirt while stopping at the store after a USPSA match before, and I'm 99% confident that nobody was the wiser. That wouldn't be my normal preference (I usually go with IWB + a single extra mag), but it worked out fine at the time.

But at what point does this burden intersect with reality?
    That really is the question, isn't it? And it's very varied with various variations. I'll see myself out...

For me, there are some pants/shirts styles and places I'm going where the burden of tossing on an extra mag is nil - no burden at all. There are places that due to consequence or required style of clothing that even getting a gun is a stretch. And there are lots of situations somewhere in between.

I think anyone can realistically scale up/down as contextually appropriate. And hopely they can also avoid needing to go to the bad part of town to do a Craigslist deal on their way to a black-tie affair in their well-fitted tuxedo.

If the premise of the OP is "people who freak out if they can't carry 3 spare Glock happy sticks at all time are silly", then we're on the same page.

And if you carry a pistol that malfunctions from time to time, why are you carrying it? (No one specifically in this thread.)
    Well, if it's a malf caused by the mag, it could be independent of the gun and a little harder to predict. That's one of the reason for dedicated carry mags, and other rituals like that.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    Is this thread really happening?
    Eh, it's one of those questions that gets asked from time to time. I definitely remember answering these questions in similar ways in the past. Arguably the OP should have searched, but it's not like it's a terrible thing to have a conversation about either.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Honestly even a pair of double stack mags isn't that big of a deal to conceal while wearing shorts and a T-shirt, and it's certainly not a burden in terms of weight. I've done two double-stack mags + an OWB holster under just a T-shirt while stopping at the store after a USPSA match before, and I'm 99% confident that nobody was the wiser. That wouldn't be my normal preference (I usually go with IWB + a single extra mag), but it worked out fine at the time.
    I've done the same with a Hipower & reload, but the grip feels a bit more 'chunky', and looks a tiny bit more bulgely under a tshirt. But it is more than fine under a fishing shirt.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Lets take malfunctions and dropping your own magazine without realizing it out of the equation.

The average number of shots fired in a self defense situation is ...... 2 shots.

I get it though, that one in 25 lifetimes chance could be just around the corner.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I doubt anyone here is going to force you to carry a spare mag if you don't want to.

Everyone does his own risk calculus. If you don't want to carry a spare, don't.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Lets take malfunctions and dropping your own magazine without realizing it out of the equation.

The average number of shots fired in a self defense situation is ...... 2 shots.

I get it though, that one in 25 lifetimes chance could be just around the corner.
    Yet one may not be in an "average" shooting. The classic idea is that upon presentation of the gun (or following the first few shots), your miscreant will choose to assail and leave the location. But, exceptions always exist.
    One may get someone hopped up on bath salts that needs a full mag before they stop trying to eat one's face. There's the possibility you are an unwitting participant in an attempted mass shooting, and may have to exchange fire with multiple bad guys. You may even have a bad guy wearing body armor.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List