Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Spare carry mags? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    Does it negatively impact your spiritual, mental, physical health? Quality of life? Family and obligations? Financial stability? If no, you do you.
    I’m not advocating that anyone does or doesn’t do something.

But is carrying an extra magazine like wearing a nomex race suit or is it like wearing a seat belt?

As a CCW holder, I could also walk around with IIIA armor to go to the grocery store and that would probably improve
    my safety more than an extra magazine.

Everyone does their own math, but there is a point where people say “I’m accepting the risk for the hassle trade off.”

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    What’s normal and what’s excessive?
    Normal is carrying a SIG Rattler in a backpack everywhere. Excessive is carrying a collapsible sledgehammer too.

The thing is you can always go down but you can't go up to what you don't have/haven't trained with.

But is carrying an extra magazine like wearing a nomex race suit or is it like wearing a seat belt?
    Neither. We're talking about an inert one-pound weight the size of an old Nokia. It's just a choice like anything else one stuffs in their pockets when getting dressed. Everything from mundane utility to training industry standards to wargaming has been brought up. Given that the majority of people no longer seem to carry a knife of any flavor, I'd go so far as to say that carriage of a reload is a far less serious consideration than a lot of that other stuff.

But this is P-F where performance typically comes first and a lot of posters have put a lot of time and effort into the handgun thing. There is going to be a disconnect between casual lines of thinking and our average user. People here choose larger carry guns or make small ones larger to wring better numbers out of the timer and target scoring. Spare mag is a drop in the bucket.

And no to nomex. Blue jeans so I can properly Bo and Luke Duke through the window of my welded-shut door if using muscle car analogies.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I fit this profile.
    I do, too, except that my neighborhood is pretty cosmopolitan. Early this year four guys parked on the side street by my house and then took a walking tour of the neighborhood. Deputies found two of them to be armed, and all four went to jail. To my knowledge they never said what they were planning to do. Bad things happen in nice places as well as bad ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_J View Post
    I think I want a holster that carries the gun and the spare mag, but the comfortable ones aren't cheap. Until then, I'll just put one in my back pocket. My spare has a Vicker's baseplate so it's more bulky, but I'll try to make it work somehow.
    Read before buying that holster: https://www.primerpeak.com/why-sidec...ters-suck/amp/ I don't even notice a 20 Mec-Gar in a JMCK AIWB mag pouch. I would not want to carry one in my back pocket.

Before you pay money for a class, read the AAR section here, then pick one and pony up.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    Neither. We're talking about an inert one-pound weight the size of an old Nokia. It's just a choice like anything else one stuffs in their pockets when getting dressed. Everything from mundane utility to training industry standards to wargaming has been brought up. Given that the majority of people no longer seem to carry a knife of any flavor, I'd go so far as to say that carriage of a reload is a far less serious consideration than a lot of that other stuff.

But this is P-F where performance typically comes first and a lot of posters have put a lot of time and effort into the handgun thing. There is going to be a disconnect between casual lines of thinking and our average user. People here choose larger carry guns or make small ones larger to wring better numbers out of the timer and target scoring. Spare mag is a drop in the bucket.

And no to nomex. Blue jeans so I can properly Bo and Luke Duke through the window of my welded-shut door if using muscle car analogies.
    As long as they’re not Daisy Dukes....

Performance metrics start bleeding over when you start talking about function.

In hypothetical situations, wouldn’t a backup revolver give more performance options for self defense than a spare magazine on body?

You could make the same argument at 1 lb for a PD340 or an LCP and having a backup gun in a second holstered location might give you more options than a spare magazine for roughly the same real estate and weight.

I’m good with extra magazines in the bag and car, but usually not on my body.

In hypothetical situations, wouldn’t a backup revolver give more performance options for self defense than a spare magazine on body?

You could make the same argument at 1 lb for a PD340 or an LCP and having a backup gun in a second bolstered location might give you more options than a spare magazine for roughly the same real estate and weight.

I’m good with extra magazines in the bag and car, but usually not on my body.
    My belt gun is a snub-nosed S&W model 10 partly because I'm willing to stick a back-up in my pocket daily versus a larger belt gun. In my life, I have armed my wife or friend more than once so that decision was based on personal context. Yet I still have at least a 2x2x2 pouch and sometimes even speedloader for me because it has zero impact on my life so might as well. So I do agree with your point here but still kinda seem to disagree.

Site Supporter
    One reason for the belt based mag reload is that it is a configuration that got a lot of practice. I was shooting (until the pandemic and move) about 3 IDPA matches a week (one was carbine though) with lots of reloads for the Glock or 1911. That's good motor memory practice under light stress. I also did a fair amount of J frame shooting. Now I had the reloads for those on my belt with speedloaders. However, I carry a speed stripe or speed loader in my pocket so little transfer there. One old guy used to shoot his revolver with a dump pouch.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I think I want a holster that carries the gun and the spare mag, but the comfortable ones aren't cheap.
    I've never gotten the appeal of such a set up, personally.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I admit I go towards comfort, I carry a Glock 43, and seeing tons of tactical guys on YouTube with tons of spare mags and all this hype around preparing for some kind of civilian warzone that I have yet to see, makes me shake my head sometimes.
    Those people don't hang out here, and when they do, they usually don't stick around for very long. YouTube is a great source for podcasts, movies, music, and how to videos on obscure topics but not a place you find a ton of good gun info. Worthwhile gun content can be found on YouTube but you really have to know where to look as it typically doesn't pop up in random video suggestions.

So I think laziness and carelessness sum up why I don't carry one.
    Now we're getting somewhere.

I think it's more a lack of training and knowledge than pure laziness and carelessness. Laziness is me going to town this morning in shorts, a hoodie, wool socks and slides. See, this is that lawless time of year between Christmas and New Year where there are no rules. All I needed was the bathrobe and a white russian in my hand to complete the ensemble. Carelessness would have been for me to leave my gun at home. But I had the Glock 17 and a spare mag, so I wasn't careless, just lazy.

You mention being prior military. I mean no disrespect, truly I don't, but if that's the extent of your handgun training, as others like BBI and LL pointed out, you're not as up to speed as you might think. None of my friends, and I mean none of them that served who have never taken a handgun class in the private sector can outshoot me with a pistol. It's not even close. They can kinda hang with me at 5-7 yards but I will eat their lunch past that and on any kind of timed course of fire. Truth be told, I don't even consider myself to be a great pistol shooter. But I've taken some classes and put in a lot of time on the range. Their rifle shooting is better than mine, but that's another topic.

There are many great instructors here on PF and I encourage you to look them up and book a class with one of them if any are available in your area. You will learn so much and you will have many moments where the lightbulb comes on, and not just about capacity and spare mag considerations.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I've never gotten the appeal of such a set up, personally.
    Name:  A609879A-D53A-48A4-8EB3-8575AAD079E5.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  95.2 KB

When I do concealed reload drills like the triple nickel

I like the sidecar holster because with one clearing of the garment to get to the holster, I also clear the magazine which for me is the smoothest and most predictable reload.

I give up a little speed on the draw to make sure the garment is far enough off the whole rig but then I don’t have to worry about being hung up on my shirt on the reload.

That’s my thought anyway.

User Tag List