Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Spare carry mags? Really?

None taken. Like I said, I've shot pistol more out of the military. The M9 wasn't a part of our kit during training, just a gun in the armory we had to qualify with, like the Mossberg 500. I always have my gun out, unloaded, at my house. I'm single, no kids. I manipulate my Glock out of boredom, but rarely practice my draw and presentation. Yes, I could use a course. The range I go to offers them.
    Last edited by Matt_J; 12-28-2020 at 04:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_J View Post
    None taken. Like I said, I've shot pistol more our of the military. The M9 wasn't a part of our kit during training, just a gun in the armory we had to quality with, like the Mossberg 500. I always have my gun out, unloaded, at my house. I'm single, no kids. I manipulate my Glock out of boredom, but rarely practice my draw and presentation. Yes, I could use a course. The range I go to offers them.
    Good stuff. A note that the classes available at your range may or may not be a great use of your time. If you want to let folks know where you are, generally, then we can provide some feedback on training opportunities with known good instructors. This isn't driven by snobbishness or insularity -- it's that we all value our time and our money, and while a good training experience can be spectacular a bad one can sour you on the whole thing.

Odds are you will have to wait some, travel some, and spend some; but I'd really like to encourage you to consider it.

Just a thought.

Pretty easy to slip a g48 or g43 magazine into my pocket if I'm too lazy to carry on my belt or I'm wearing athletic clothing. Reload is a little slower. I have been meaning to get a neomag..

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    None taken. Like I said, I've shot pistol more out of the military. The M9 wasn't a part of our kit during training, just a gun in the armory we had to qualify with, like the Mossberg 500. I always have my gun out, unloaded, at my house. I'm single, no kids. I manipulate my Glock out of boredom, but rarely practice my draw and presentation. Yes, I could use a course. The range I go to offers them.
    Vet the training. What are the instructor's qualifications to teach what they are teaching?

Anecdote: I used to do some instruction on the tactics, decision making under stress, and post-shooting management side of things. I did not teach how to shoot. It was expected that you knew the fundamentals before you showed up because I did not have the time or inclination to teach the fundamentals. If you couldn't shoot, you might not get as much out of the class but the course description was very plain about that.

I had some instructors take my class that couldn't shoot. One NRA instructor shot fucking cup-and-saucer. Poorly.

Being a decent competition shooter, or a record of training/coaching the same, is generally a good indication someone has a solid grasp of the fundamentals. It's not the only way to vet someone, but it's a good start.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I've never gotten the appeal of such a set up, personally.
    So you can larp as a 90’s teenager with his pants full of shoplifted VHS tapes?

I’m a skinny dude and am unwilling to cram that much stiff plastic down my pants.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

I carry a minimum of 2 reloads but it's not a result of paranoia.

Dealing with multiple belligerent, moving dogs can run you low on ammo, or dry, very fast.
    I've seen 2 people reload in the midst of a gunfight, one with a semiauto pistol the other a pump shotgun.
    The last time I held a gun on humans there were three of them.
    I'm rural and like to shoot targets of opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Good stuff. A note that the classes available at your range may or may not be a great use of your time. If you want to let folks know where you are, generally, then we can provide some feedback on training opportunities with known good instructors. This isn't driven by snobbishness or insularity -- it's that we all value our time and our money, and while a good training experience can be spectacular a bad one can sour you on the whole thing.

Odds are you will have to wait some, travel some, and spend some; but I'd really like to encourage you to consider it.

Just a thought.
    JAD's advice is solid. Where I live, there is no one local I would spend money on. However, Tom Givens, Ernest Langdon, and others come within driving distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I’m a skinny dude and am unwilling to cram that much stiff plastic down my pants.
    Sure, wait to post that until the thread is safely back in a technical forum.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I think I want a holster that carries the gun and the spare mag, but the comfortable ones aren't cheap.
    I assume you're talking about a sidecar-style AIWB holster/mag carrier combo. Compared to a separate AIWB holster and mag carrier, they don't conceal as well, they're more prone to cracking, and they're less comfortable.

Name:  external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  19.6 KB

If you're talking about a higher-quality version of an Uncle Mike's sausage sack holster/magazine carrier combo, don't put your magazine on the same side as your gun. Mags go on the opposite hip where you can draw them quickly without contorting your non-dominant hand to get the magazine from your strong side.

Name:  6fa230a5-1354-4f5b-a5bd-9883cd09342c_1.70e66956fa7712ffc66b69ae7e08be2c.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  32.8 KB

Spare mags carry?? Really??

Well, why not? When it’s just as easy, comfy and concealable to do so then why wouldn’t I? The laws of probability say I probably won’t need it. Those same laws of probability, (in my current situation), say I probably won’t need to carry in the first place, never mind carrying a spare reload. Previous experiences with “Hoping for the best, and preparing for the worst” has paid off so far so I’m sticking with it. That Murphy is a MF-er, and is alive and well.

Let’s turn it around, ok? You are carrying a lethal weapon around just in case you are presented a very improbable life or death situation. You can easily carry a spare reload that is not inconvenient, uncomfortable or risky for concealment. Why would you not carry a spare reload?

I like this one because it's so slim, does anyone have anything to say about it?

https://www.amazon.com/FoxX-Holsters.../dp/B07D9TTHHQ

User Tag List