Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Spare carry mags? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    We share a dislike for J-Frames. They “feel good” in my hand, and point well, but they place a performance ceiling on how well I can shoot them, probably because so much of my trigger finger is past the trigger. Plus, J-Frame recoil bashes my arthritic right thumb, unless I use over-sized grips, and those over-sized grips defeat the purpose of concealment. A snubby K-Frame is in the same size envelope as a J-Frame that is wearing over-sized cushy grips.
    I switched from a bobbed Model 36 to a Shield some years ago, and don't really miss it as a carry pistol. The Shield is just as easy to pocket carry, but has good sights, is softer to shoot, easier to feed, holds more bullets, and has a rail that lets me bolt on a CT Light & Laser combo. And, to bring this back full circle, it's a lot easier to reload quickly. Carrying a spare mag or two is super easy, barely an inconvenience.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    You’re already carrying a gun in suburban America.

You’re already a victim of paranoia.
    You or OP might be, other folks might have different environments that have different levels of appropriate preparation (this feels like a re-occurring chorus in this thread).

Personally, I carry a spare mag for a few of the reasons already mentioned. It's the most likely component to be the reason for click not bang, and replacing the mag is the core of pretty much every remedial action drill I know.

On a more visceral level, and this is where competition will get me killed in-da-street, a 15 round mag for a glock feels really empty after even a short stage with just a few targets. Compared to carrying a G19, an extra mag or two is a very easy additional lift. My calculus is usually more along the lines of: Is today a G19 day, a G19+G26 day, or a G19+MK18 day (and how many mags should I bring for the 18)? Should I carry a spare mag is not a question that's on my radar right now.

Quote Originally Posted by JDD View Post
    On a more visceral level, and this is where competition will get me killed in-da-street, a 15 round mag for a glock feels really empty after even a short stage with just a few targets.
    I once made a similar argument in a similar discussion on another forum, something along the lines of "because shooting USPSA for a few years has taught me how quickly the 10+1 in my carry gun goes," and had a bunch of people telling me I was a paranoid idiot because I carried *one* spare mag for a 10-round gun. I guess we'll get killed in-da-street together...

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Thanks Elwin. Chance you can post a pic of your rig?

I only have a G48 AIWB. I don’t mind adding another ‘thing’ up front, but I don’t want to resemble a momma kangaroo either.
    Yep, hope this shows what I’m talking about clearly enough. Name:  E9891B15-2D89-4548-90FE-04314460CF82.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  94.6 KB

The Shield stock grips are a bit slick, and I do find that stick on 'sandpaper' Talon grips make a world of difference in how it performs.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mas View Post
    There's another very good reason to carry at least one spare magazine, which I don't believe has been mentioned here yet.

A struggle for the gun always has to be considered, whether the weapon is in the defender's hand or holster. Aggressive hands on guns can easily hit a mag release button (or paddle) and eject the magazine.

This is particularly likely with a left-hand palm down attack on a pistol in the defender's right hand, consistent with an attempt by the aggressor to stall the defender's draw, or to disarm a defender holding the pistol in a retention position. The aggressor's left thumb will now be in particularly close proximity to the magazine release button.

One of the reasons I carry two reloads is something you wrote. I don't remember the exact wording but it was along the lines of "Two reloads has been the standard in Law Enforcement before most of us were born. If that's what the cops carry that's what you should carry."

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_J View Post
    I get the whole idea, but how realistic is it... Maybe if you live in an area with high crime. But even if you do, what are the chances of not only firing your pistol, but having to reload it? It's the 0.001% chance of being in that situation that has redefined carry essentials. I watched the new TFB video about the Glock 43 vs. 43X vs. 48 and they say having a grip that's .75" longer is no big deal because it offers much more ammo capacity.

I think being able to conceal it in the first place is where you should start, not with capacity.

With lots of videos where Navy Seals give you their opinion on EDC items and how many mags you should stow in your belt, I think it has led many people thinking you need to be prepared for 10 guys trying to kill you like we are living in a John Wick movie.
    I carry a 642 revolver, no reload. IF I carried a semi auto I would carry a spare magazine. Not for a reload but to replace a bad magazine or one that fell out at the wrong time. Stuff that don't happen to a revolver.

@Elwin much appreciate the picture, it helps a lot.

I remembered I had a JM CK mag carrier for my Glock 19 in my box ‘o holsters:

Name:  14BFB86E-68B2-4FAD-914D-9D6D276FE598.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  59.4 KB

Since a Glock 48 mag fits more or less, I’m going to take it for a test drive tomorrow with my recently acquired Dark Star Gear Hitchhiker and see how it works out, right of centerline. (I’m a lefty). I set it up with reverse cant, like my reloads in USPSA, since that’s what I’m used to.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    You’re already carrying a gun in suburban America.

You’re already a victim of paranoia.
    I missed this when you posted it. You’re confusing probability with possibility, which is a classic first year underwriter and risk manager mistake.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Good point. I will ditch the J frame and start toting my Roland Special.

Thanks man.

/Thread.

I’ve been carrying mine for a while. Wore it on the three hour car ride today. As Casual Friday said, I’m far more concerned about being able to defend my two year old. I can deal with a little more discomfort if it means that I have a better chance of solving a problem that may be threatening her life. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List