Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Spare carry mags? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post

I’ve been carrying mine for a while. Wore it on the three hour car ride today. As Casual Friday said, I’m far more concerned about being able to defend my two year old. I can deal with a little more discomfort if it means that I have a better chance of solving a problem that may be threatening her life. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nice gun, nice goose.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Spare carry mags? Really?

I can't tell if this is sarcasm? Anyway, I base my armament on experience. 6 years ago I got a call that the predator who had been targeting girls at the schools my girls went to had been sighted in the neighborhood. Girl #1 was walking the dogs. I had a Glock 19 and a spare mag when I located her right around the time he was getting shot by our hero of a HS resource officer 2 blocks away.
    https://www.portlandmercury.com/Blog...idnapping-case

I could give a number of other personal experiences that debunk paranoia as the reason I'm armed.

On the other hand, sometimes I carry a spare mag, and sometimes I don't. It depends on the situation. Yesterday my wife and I were hiking in the neighborhood and found some more cougar scat. I had a 5-shot revolver and 5 spare rounds. That's enough for me when I'm going light and fast, even given the growing homeless camps around here.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    You’re already carrying a gun in suburban America.

You’re already a victim of paranoia.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 12-30-2020 at 08:57 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Handcuffs is another thing I stopped carrying off duty. My bar for what I'll get involved in off duty has continued to rise as the climate has turned against us.
    Understood and I do not encourage people to make arrests when off duty. That said, one never knows what the future may hold and I don't find handcuffs burdensome (though I'm unlikely to make an off-duty arrest on the college campus that is my current jurisdiction).

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    The Shield comment is curious. I've got a Shield, and the sights are actually decently sized for a small pistol, visible, and easily replaceable with a number of options.

I also have a Model 10 snub, and it's sights aren't. And let's not mention the 'sights' on my FN 1906 .25acp.
    Has your rear sight fallen off yet?
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    I suspect many people don't carry a spare magazine because of perceived or actual difficulty in concealing it. A big, blocky magazine, especially a double stack, seems obtrusive and obvious. I eventually found a 4LEOS magazine/handcuff holder that does a great job of concealing both items. While I typically carried handcuffs, I seldom clipped on a spare magazine unless in a soft uniform or operating the cruiser off duty.

Of course, in this day and age of personal communication devices, there's no excuse not to have a spare magazine with you. An odd bulge under the shirt can be explained as your work mobile phone.
    I don’t carry a spare magazine because I’m more likely to leave it somewhere or lose it than I am to use it. In 2020, the administrative hassle of leaving a magazine somewhere isn’t what it was 20 years ago. I can’t tell you how many car key fobs have been washed in pockets, etc.

Especially considering I have a small kiddo and a job where I can’t carry, I’m looking for the simplest carry solution and for me that’s a one clip AIWB tuckable holster with 12+1 capacity P365.

I have armor and additional magazines / guns in the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff S. View Post
    I’ve spent a lot of time and money becoming somewhat proficient at drawing and shooting a pistol, including magazine changes. Seems strange not to carry the tools I spend so much time trying to master.
    I am significantly faster and more accurate carrying a 45 oz USPSA competition gun in an OWB rig with multiple OWB magazine pouches. It’s still the gold standard I compare my carry gear against. But the better I got at USPSA, the better I got at everything else too.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I don’t carry a spare magazine because I’m more likely to leave it somewhere or lose it than I am to use it. In 2020, the administrative hassle of leaving a magazine somewhere isn’t what it was 20 years ago. I can’t tell you how many car key fobs have been washed in pockets, etc.

Especially considering I have a small kiddo and a job where I can’t carry, I’m looking for the simplest carry solution and for me that’s a one clip AIWB tuckable holster with 12+1 capacity P365.

I have armor and additional magazines / guns in the vehicle.

I am significantly faster and more accurate carrying a 45 oz USPSA competition gun in an OWB rig with multiple OWB magazine pouches. It’s still the gold standard I compare my carry gear against. But the better I got at USPSA, the better I got at everything else too.
    You're worried about losing a magazine some random place but you keep guns in your vehicle?

Site Supporter
    MAS wrote about possibility of a mag being released during a struggle. I think that he also wrote that during a struggle, the shooter might choose to jettison the magazine if he feared losing control. I think he made the point that if the pistol had a mag disconnect, then the other guy would end up with a non-functioning pistol. Further in this instance, a 2nd or backup handgun would be handy indeed. I'm fairly certain that I am quoting accurately but say "I think" out of respect. I wish not to put words in his mouth.

99% of pistol shooters dislike mag disconnects. I do not remove them and have found one to have value when traveling with young children. At night the chamber remained loaded, and I wore the mag. On the Smith 39 series pistols I taught myself how to defeat the disconnect when changing mags and keep the weapon hot at the same time. It is a trigger manipulation trick that I would not post.

In the old days we referred to J frames and dick specials as belly guns as in me to you. Few will spend needed time to master this group. Hence, their value is found in backup use. As a gun shop commando, I do not get roped into certain arguments. They include revolvers vs anything. AR's vs anything. 870 vs 590. 6.5 Creedmore vs anything. I say stupid shit like the .25 ACP is ok for suicide if you stick it in your ear, and it doesn't jam after the first shot. Or, "Go ahead and shoot him with bird shot. It'll make him leave." Or, "I don't remember the charge weight. I just fill up the case and seat the bullet." Sometimes to a college kid I'll recommend he buy a pellet pistol instead of a real gun. Sometimes I'm ornery.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    You're worried about losing a magazine some random place but you keep guns in your vehicle?
    Yes, that’s correct.

I’m concerned about ME losing a magazine some random place.

I’m not going to lose the gun in my vehicle.

It might get stolen, but I don’t care about that any more than I would care if they got stolen from the safe in my house.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Yes, that’s correct.

I’m concerned about ME losing a magazine some random place.

I’m not going to lose the gun in my vehicle.

It might get stolen, but I don’t care about that any more than I would care if they got stolen from the safe in my house.
    A safe in your house isn't remotely the same level of risk as a gun in your car. Are they secured in some fashion like a car safe? At least a cut resistant cable?

It's not so much the loss of the gun that should be of concern as the fact you're arming criminals in places where you frequent if it gets stolen.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    A safe in your house isn't remotely the same level of risk as a gun in your car. Are they secured in some fashion like a car safe? At least a cut resistant cable?

It's not so much the loss of the gun that should be of concern as the fact you're arming criminals in places where you frequent if it gets stolen.
    Yes, absolutely. My vehicle use pattern is probably different than a lot of people’s too.

Secured parking at work and indoor alarmed and secured garage at home. It doesn’t sit out anywhere else much.

User Tag List