Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: Spare carry mags? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_J View Post
    I get the whole idea, but how realistic is it... Maybe if you live in an area with high crime. But even if you do, what are the chances of not only firing your pistol, but having to reload it? It's the 0.001% chance of being in that situation that has redefined carry essentials. I watched the new TFB video about the Glock 43 vs. 43X vs. 48 and they say having a grip that's .75" longer is no big deal because it offers much more ammo capacity.

I think being able to conceal it in the first place is where you should start, not with capacity.

With lots of videos where Navy Seals give you their opinion on EDC items and how many mags you should stow in your belt, I think it has led many people thinking you need to be prepared for 10 guys trying to kill you like we are living in a John Wick movie.
    Thanks for asking the question in pursuit of a knowledge gap you have self-identified. This is something most our egos detest, particularly in a public setting, and I applaud you for doing so.

Below is a link to another post which may provide you more (albeit repetitive) opinions and information.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    "True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost." -Arthur Ashe

Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

...Looks like several good options were posted above, Tom's Koala from DSG https://darkstargear.com/product/koala/ as well as the fabric-approach Snakeeater and PHLster. I'll look into these in January, but I think this will work.
    Went ahead and ordered a lefty Koala for my G48. In orange, of course. I guess I will end up looking like a momma Kangaroo after all. One wonders if there is any connection in the name that Tom chose? heh.

And I needed some lemonheads anyway. @orionz06 (and @blues thanks for the helpful PM).

Having too many bullets on you is like having too much cash.

Realistically I carry a spare 19 rounder because it makes my appendix setup appear more symmetrical. It is no big deal to carry a spare magazine on top of a pistol.

It's been six days since the OP logged in, just saying.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    How many rounds for a dead horse, you are saying?

The how many rounds, 5 is enough, extra mag discussion will never die until we carry phasers. Or Joe says he agrees with the gun folks who decry too many rounds and bans them high cap evil guns. He will quote many gun folk to make his point.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    It's been six days since the OP logged in, just saying.
    I'm going to up my troll score to 9/10.

I thought y'all/we were better than this...
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    I'll take the bait.

More than a few of those speak more about lack of training/discipline/marksmanship (or, assuming all of those were in place, fear response in the un-inoculated) than anything else.

the headline is misleading as hell (no surprise when one has an agenda). "People Have Had To Fire Ten Or More Shots" should read "People Have Fired Ten Or More Shots".

And even that speaks volumes. We can't actually come up with any "had to" scenarios so we have to resort to reporting on the "spray and pray".

Curious to know how many of them reloaded vs fired what was in the gun. At least one says "rifle".
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I'm not smart enough to follow all this nuanced back and forth, but I'm going to stick with my strengthened resolve to carry an extra mag even though I'm sure I'll never need the 14 in my EDC. At my age I've haven't needed a seat belt or a spare parachute (well, I've never jumped out of a good airplane so there is that). I didn't carry a spare mag in CA because the risk of a Karen calling 911 upon seeing an accidentally flashed gun or mag was so much greater than needing a spare mag. Idaho is, to say the least, different.

Site Supporter
    At my age, I've been in 4 could have killed me accidents (not my fault) and the seat belt certainly help me and my kid. I've been hit by lightning. It's not a problem to carry an extra mag with some care about concealment.

Never used the fire extinguisher but it sits on the floor if needed. There are two levels of posting this sort of thing. One is a legit question on carry gear. The other is to make some point and stir up the hornet's nest for Internet amusement and seeking attention.

I will be going out now with a semi and extra mag, probably not have to use it. More likely to use my seat belt. BTW, I carry some aspirin in case my ticker decides to go south. Been there on that also.

User Tag List