Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NAA Black Widow (as a single action deep conceal BUG)... rapid fire.

NAA Black Widow (as a single action deep conceal BUG)... rapid fire.

I don't have video or pictures of the targets, but I can take them next time I'm out at the range if anyone is interested.

With the "John Woo" double gun experiment that was interesting to me regarding weak hand point shooting ability, even when distracted and concentrating on other things... I started doing drills with AIWB semi-auto primary and weak hand back pocket revolver backup.

The drill looked something like this:
    Concealed draw from AIWB P365 and then reload to strong hand only... and then while continuing to shoot dry strong hand, reach for weak hand J-frame revolver and fire that from retention when primary goes dry (no down time).

It's kind of a multipurpose drill and I am still working on it.

But instead of the J-frame, I thought about doing it with a NAA Mini (Black Widow edition).

Historically, for me it has been super slow with the single action... but decently accurate.

Dustin Ellerman used one to consistently hit 100yds. I went to the range and could pretty easily do 25yards to a QIT silhouette (max length of the indoor range).

So then I searched and found this video:

And got the idea of weak hand only thumbing hammer while holding the trigger.

Kind of like this.... but way slower, lol.

It was actually decently quick on follow up shots and decently accurate. I never thought I would bring out the NAA again, but it has some definite ergonomic advantages as a BUG with regards to printing and concealment. The caliber is wimpy, but as a "get off me" contact distance revolver... maybe....

If people are interested in seeing the freestyle, strong, weak BUG drill or the thumbing NAA, let me know. If people don't care, then carry on!

Site Supporter
    I'd like to see it! I had a 1 5/8" 22 mag which I put the rubber slip on grips. For grins, I shot the old TX CHL bottle target protocol. Here's a picture. I enhanced the holes:

Name:  naa.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  28.3 KBName:  naa.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  28.3 KB

3 yards, 20 rounds

1 shot, 2 seconds, 5 times
    2 shots, 3 seconds, 5 times
    5 shots, 10 seconds, 1 time

7 yards, 20 rounds

5 shots, 10 seconds, 1 time
    2 shots, 4 seconds, 1 time
    3 shots, 6 seconds, 1 time
    1 shot, 3 seconds, 5 times
    5 shots, 15 seconds, 1 time

15 yards, 10 rounds

2 shots, 6 seconds, 1 time
    3 shots, 9 seconds, 1 time
    5 shots, 15 seconds, 1 time

I also shot it with a NAA 22s - a tiny gun, and got about a 130. I didn't keep the picture or its lost in the world of files on an old Mac.

I shot the 22 mag in an indoor range between two lane dividers and it was the loudest damn thing. I thought it blew up. I felt a pressure wave hit my face and under my glasses. I slammed my eyes shut automatically. I never really carried the guns. I did put the 22S in a suit pocket once, just because.

I did put shot shells in the 22 Mag in my pocket for when I was walking to blinds in the Hill Country.

Sold both of them. I don't see the point of the large ones like the Black Widow as you are getting into J frame territory but I applaud buying them for grins or some secret agent deep concealment.

Like the videos!

About 0.65s weak hand splits
    About 0.42s freestyle fanning

Was just for fun but makes it a little more viable for rapid fire deep BUG.
    Not suggesting AT ALL that this is best practice. But if that’s what you have as a backup, it’s an option.

Name:  B7AEA50C-43AC-4112-A1A3-6A06829A4DD2.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  21.4 KB

5 shot group at 25 yards.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Lots of potential issues, of course. That said I know a case were a fellow palmed one until very near the bad guy holding a hostage and dropped said bad guy while he was still in the OODA loop.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I'd like to see it! I had a 1 5/8" 22 mag which I put the rubber slip on grips. For grins, I shot the old TX CHL bottle target protocol.

Like the videos!
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Lots of potential issues, of course. That said I know a case were a fellow palmed one until very near the bad guy holding a hostage and dropped said bad guy while he was still in the OODA loop.
    With the PCP threads I thought I would try a Black Widow on the GlockTalk Jan challenge.

With some practice I think I can do it more consistently.

I can’t do it from concealment without a LOT more work.

Site Supporter
    Got to try that with the NAA 22S! While I shot decently with the NAA 22 mag/lr - I couldn't hit a barn with the short. It is an adorable, palmable gun though. One thing I found though with it, is that it stuck in its pocket holster. Since it was a just a fun gun, never really examined options for its carry.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Got to try that with the NAA 22S! While I shot decently with the NAA 22 mag/lr - I couldn't hit a barn with the short. It is an adorable, palmable gun though. One thing I found though with it, is that it stuck in its pocket holster. Since it was a just a fun gun, never really examined options for its carry.
    What pocket holster? I’ve used the “sticky” brand holsters and they seem to be a good balance. I’m not so concerned about retention in a single action hammer down gun.

Site Supporter
    Name:  short.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  68.0 KB

Don't know the brand, I think I got it off the NAA web site many years ago. The problem is the cylinder rear edge catches on the internal seams of the holster, taking a good deal of wiggling to get the gun out. I wonder if this small a gun would disappear inside the DeSantis and other sticky models that seem to be for the LR and Magnum guns.

Since this isn't a serious gun - haven't really worried about it. Haven't really carried it as a BUG. It was just a fun gun. Maybe I should rethink it. I toy with a getting a 22 LR/Mag again as a bug. I dunno.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Site Supporter
    Hamre Forge is making a "Mini Hook" that may help with rapid fire and deep concealment.
    From their website: "The Mini Hook is only available for the NAA Mini 22lr and all 22 Magnum models besides the Sidewinder and the Ranger."
    Picture from Instagram:
    --Jason--

User Tag List