Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red dot on a lever action

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I don't know if it will ever come to market, but I had the chance to use a Marlin 1894 in .44 Magnum with a prototype Aridus CROM and it was a splendid little package. Lightweight, handy, easy to shoot, and when stoked with .44 magnum ammo, plenty potent.

As busy as Aridus has been I don't know if they'll have the breathing room to make it, but it's splendid.
    When I emailed and asked “can I give you a credit card number so you can drop an 1894 CROM in the mail as soon as they are ready?” He very kindly told me told me they didn't have the bandwidth at the moment to even guess when it would come to fruition.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    What rail is that? WWG?
    Looks like an XS rail.

https://www.xssights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=8282
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    What rail is that? WWG?
    XS Leverail

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    I have a Marlin 1894 CSS (a poorly-executed example made just before the North Haven plant closed) with a 1" Ultra-Dot in Burris QD rings on the rear half of a cut-off XS LeverRail. The Ultra-Dot rides just ahead of the XS rear ghost ring, as I wanted a belt-and-suspenders setup. It works well enough for what it is, but it isn't really anything to get too excited about. That is all that remains of my earlier adventure with red dots on leverguns.

For about 10 years I was a rabid proponent of the .357 Magnum 16" or 18" barrel levergun as a utility carbine, but my eyes' accommodation aged out to where front sights became a suggestion, and despite my wishes, a ghost ring rear plus a ghost post front made for ghost accuracy. Unfortunately, the optics mounting solutions at the time were nothing to write home about - neither were some of the red dots - and after a good deal of money and time were spent, I essentially said to hell with it and adopted a 16" AR with enough picatinny rail to mount any optic from spotting scope size on down... and room for a weaponlight, laser, sling mount, and QD kitchen sink left over. (The bayonet mount was useless icing on the cake.)

When my right eye needed retina work last year and did not heal correctly, that pretty much removed any longarms without optics - other than shotguns - from the scene, and I have since found that the right LPVO scope is as good or better than a red dot for me. They tend to greatly "awkwardize" a short levergun, though.

(sigh)

There are no free lunches in the firearms world of un (viejo) gato naranja.
    A 1-3 weaver in a low mount on a marlin is a pretty handy combo

I have a Marlin 1894 CSS (a poorly-executed example made just before the North Haven plant closed) with a 1" Ultra-Dot in Burris QD rings on the rear half of a cut-off XS LeverRail. The Ultra-Dot rides just ahead of the XS rear ghost ring, as I wanted a belt-and-suspenders setup. It works well enough for what it is, but it isn't really anything to get too excited about. That is all that remains of my earlier adventure with red dots on leverguns.

For about 10 years I was a rabid proponent of the .357 Magnum 16" or 18" barrel levergun as a utility carbine, but my eyes' accommodation aged out to where front sights became a suggestion, and despite my wishes, a ghost ring rear plus a ghost post front made for ghost accuracy. Unfortunately, the optics mounting solutions at the time were nothing to write home about - neither were some of the red dots - and after a good deal of money and time were spent, I essentially said to hell with it and adopted a 16" AR with enough picatinny rail to mount any optic from spotting scope size on down... and room for a weaponlight, laser, sling mount, and QD kitchen sink left over. (The bayonet mount was useless icing on the cake.)

When my right eye needed retina work last year and did not heal correctly, that pretty much removed any longarms without optics - other than shotguns - from the scene, and I have since found that the right LPVO scope is as good or better than a red dot for me. They tend to greatly "awkwardize" a short levergun, though.

(sigh)

There are no free lunches in the firearms world of un (viejo) gato naranja.
    I'm living that too, red dots are nice but LPVO is much more versatile and usable for my beat up eyes. And that 3X (or more) is extra help when I need it. And I do need it.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    A 1-3 weaver in a low mount on a marlin is a pretty handy combo
    This is probably true. Once the barrel length gets to 20" or more, the compact scopes - at the time, what I was halfheartedly tinkering with were considered "shotgun" or "dangerous game" low-magnification variables - are not bad as long as the mounts can be kept reasonably low. The red dots just seemed like they were a better answer on the 16" and 18" carbines since with 2 MOA dots they were more-or-less adequate out to the ranges that the gun and the operator (me) were still useful.

I was at that awkward stage where a guy physically ages past being able to use and enjoy certain firearms and frustration did set in. If I live long enough to see it happen, A new Marlin 1894 CSS - one with better QC - and something like a Vortex Viper or Steiner LPVO with illuminated reticle might be fun to play with in my retirement years.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    And that 3X (or more) is extra help when I need it. And I do need it.
    I gave a range demo to a young gal (she was around 40... it's all relative) a few years back, and she thought that an optic made shooting so easy that it was like cheating. I was tempted to tell her to just wait another ten years and she'll be cheating her butt off as well as spending good money to do so, but I suppressed the urge.
    gn

A new Marlin 1894 CSS - one with better QC - and something like a Vortex Viper or Steiner LPVO with illuminated reticle might be fun to play with in my retirement years.
    Quoting myself is gauche, but...

Suddenly I want a Marlin 1894 CSBL so that I can put a surplus Aimpoint Micro or an illuminated LPVO on it. Can/will Ruger make it happen? In my lifetime? If so, I can see this being "the rifle that old tomcat always used after he retired."
    gn

Site Supporter
    My first Shooting mentor, Maj. Doug Smith, USAR (Ret.) (RIP) was a lever action fan when he and Cooper discussed what would be "dubbed" the Kansas City Special ( Lever Action Rifle-Pistol Caliber) in the 80's.

IIRC, he first used a Bushnell Red Dot on a piece of rail that was likely soldered in place by a local gunsmith. Ultimately, he went all in with XS sights/rail and an Aimpoint.

For years, it was his preferred travel gun because it was a very flat package that would go anywhere and was minute of man accurate with any load for as far as he could see.

https://www.scoutrifle.org/index.php?topic=5935.0

"We have had various people write in to tell us how much they admire that version of the venerable Winchester Model 94 which is now made to take pistol cartridges. This seems to us a piece of bad terminology by the Winchester people, who used to call the lever-action carbine for the rifle cartridge the M94 and the lever-action carbine for a pistol cartridge the M92. Both of these instruments serve a valuable purpose in today's peculiar society, wherein the instrument is deemed by our lawmakers to possess a will of its own. The old Winchester lever guns, drastically more efficient than any AK47 or Uzi, still possess a rather innocent air, and they have not yet been discovered by our legislative oppressors. But one should not confuse a piece which takes a rifle cartridge with a piece which takes a pistol cartridge. We announced previously that we will henceforth refer to the M94 30-30 as 'The Brooklyn Special.' Now, however, in honor of one of our customers in Kansas City who uses the 94/92 in caliber 44 Magnum, we refer to this piece as 'The Kansas City Special.' " (1989)
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    My first Shooting mentor, Maj. Doug Smith, USAR (Ret.) (RIP) was a lever action fan when he and Cooper discussed what would be "dubbed" the Kansas City Special ( Lever Action Rifle-Pistol Caliber) in the 80's.

IIRC, he first used a Bushnell Red Dot on a piece of rail that was likely soldered in place by a local gunsmith. Ultimately, he went all in with XS sights/rail and an Aimpoint.

For years, it was his preferred travel gun because it was a very flat package that would go anywhere and was minute of man accurate with any load for as far as he could see.

https://www.scoutrifle.org/index.php?topic=5935.0

"We have had various people write in to tell us how much they admire that version of the venerable Winchester Model 94 which is now made to take pistol cartridges. This seems to us a piece of bad terminology by the Winchester people, who used to call the lever-action carbine for the rifle cartridge the M94 and the lever-action carbine for a pistol cartridge the M92. Both of these instruments serve a valuable purpose in today's peculiar society, wherein the instrument is deemed by our lawmakers to possess a will of its own. The old Winchester lever guns, drastically more efficient than any AK47 or Uzi, still possess a rather innocent air, and they have not yet been discovered by our legislative oppressors. But one should not confuse a piece which takes a rifle cartridge with a piece which takes a pistol cartridge. We announced previously that we will henceforth refer to the M94 30-30 as 'The Brooklyn Special.' Now, however, in honor of one of our customers in Kansas City who uses the 94/92 in caliber 44 Magnum, we refer to this piece as 'The Kansas City Special.' " (1989)
    Interesting. I knew Jeff Cooper's thoughts on the 94 Winchester in .30-30, but did not know about the .44s.

I once owned a Winchester 94 in .44 Magnum and that thing was quite effective on various targets, but I foolishly traded it away for something new and shiny. When I took up the short levergun cause later on, I had decided to cull the cartridge inventory and went with the .357 Magnum. I had some regrets off and on about abandoning the larger bore for the .357, but ultimately, it was the better choice for me and I got a number of years of enjoyment out of the things. With an optic that cooperates with my eyes, I still have confidence in the effectiveness of .357 carbines, though I have not done much with the one that remains here at Casa del Gato.
    gn

User Tag List