Thread: 300 Blackout Subsonic 110 Z-Max/V-Max and Trailboss

300 Blackout Subsonic 110 Z-Max/V-Max and Trailboss

I have a bunch of 110 grain .308 Z-Max bullets and some IMR Trailboss so I loaded up one round to test out. I just threw 5.0 grain in the case, which is .1 grain above minimum. I did not crimp the bullet. I shot it into a brush pile and it was pretty quiet, but there was not enough umph to eject the case. Hodgdon says that I can go up to 6.2 grains and with a crimp I think it will eject.

This is going to be fun.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    I have a bunch of 110 grain .308 Z-Max bullets and some IMR Trailboss so I loaded up one round to test out. I just threw 5.0 grain in the case, which is .1 grain above minimum. I did not crimp the bullet. I shot it into a brush pile and it was pretty quiet, but there was not enough umph to eject the case. Hodgdon says that I can go up to 6.2 grains and with a crimp I think it will eject.

This is going to be fun.
    I would hate for this to be successful because I have 5-6lbs of TB on the shelf and a 114gr 32cal mould that makes bullets ideal for 30cal rifle if sized down to .309. I'd hate it because I'd be *forced* to buy a 300BO upper for my AR and try your load with a cast bullet.

ETA: Or a 300BO Ruger Ranch rifle!

Chris

Take a look at this video for a cast load.

Site Supporter

Thanks! I like the green powdercoat.

Chris

Site Supporter

Hmm. I have round balls for my .36 Navy repro. Wonder how those would should from a .38 Special.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Hmm. I have round balls for my .36 Navy repro. Wonder how those would should from a .38 Special.
    000 buckshot pellets over about half a grain of Bullseye make a great popgun load out of a snubnose j-frame. Literally about as loud as a cap gun, but no power at all (merely dented some old sheet metal)j.

Chris

Failure and Success!

I could not get the rounds to cycle. I am running an H buffer in my lower and I think that is to heavy to allow the gun to cycle. I am going to retire the project for the AR and continue it for my contender barrel in 7.62 x 35R project (300 BO Rimmed). I need to get my barrel cut for the suppressor, but it should be great!

Some 300 BLK rambling:

I am a glutton for punishment. I loaded a case full of Trailboss and put a 125 gr Sierra Pro-Hunter on top. It was nice and quiet, but it did not cycle the action.

I am having a heck of a time finding ASR compatible mounts for Omega 36M. OpticsPlanet said it was in stock, but when I put in the order they emailed me and said it will be 3 weeks before it ships. Frustrating.

I found a local gun plumber to thread my 7.62 x 35R so I can put the SilencerCo ASR mount on it. The labor for getting the barrel threaded is less than the ASR mount costs.

Still messing around with the 110 Z-Max bullets. I loaded 17.8 grains of Ramshot Enforcer. It cycled just fine, but boy it is definitely super sonic. I should have put ears on when I test fired it it. Next time I will.

User Tag List