Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: 10 round Firearms

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    My point is that there is a perception issue in play with many LEOs. Yes, I will upgun when I feel the need, but it seems like the average law dog can understand the desire and need for a civ to carry something for defense - but a big rig can raise their eyebrows. In a way, choosing a smaller defensive handgun is a form of Gray Man.
    Wait, so now we're suggesting a person carry a smaller, less capable gun in the off chance that they might get pulled over by a cop who might think that carrying a large or full size gun isn't reasonable? Why do you care what his personal opinion is concerning your carry choices? That makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. What's he gonna do, haul you in for carrying a Glock 19 instead of a Glock 43?

Personally I think the whole gRaY mAn thing has reached such levels of tactardom that it's lost it's meaning. It went from "don't do things and wear things that make you stand out like an asshole" to "I'm gonna buy these stealth grey 5.11 pants and Disruptive Grey™ Haley Strategic Flat Pack".

I don’t think it matters. Do what you want.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    This is also true in the knife world...especially if you carry something in the large-ish category.

Or, leaving pocketknives out of it...something like the Clinch Pick or Push Dagger...or...sap or other striking implement...even where legal...will elicit a similar response.

LEOs, like anyone else, are part of the larger herd, and react similarly to seeing what they consider outside the norm.

If I'm honest, I'd probably have a similar reaction internally, even if not expressed, during a stop. I don't think it's abnormal or unusual.
    Would the same reaction be present if the cops pulled sumdood over and saw a gym bag with a BJJ black belt and MMA gloves in the back seat? Or would that just more or less be regarded as a weird form of exercise?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Very late to the party. Moderately rambling.

10 rd world-no grandfathering of std capacity mags.

Short Term- Carry a 5 inch all steel 1911 8+1 wilson ETM mag and drive on.

Mid to long term- Buy another 1911 ( SA LB Operator or similar offering from Dan Wesson absent stumbling across a used gem) or 2 SW M&P .45s with an eye toward dropping in some apex trigger goodness.

While I own 10 rd Glock mags for my G19/G17/G34/G35, I do not think them particularly reliable, especially in 9mm.

I suppose I would also buy some 10 rd Magpul mags to see how they work too in my 9mm Glocks relative to the OEM ones.

Having said the above, like many on this thread, I have a 2 '' J frame and a 4'' K frame and could make due with the gear I have until I could get an IWB rig for the K frame if push came to shove.
    If a hard high cap ban comes that does not exempt LE, I will soldier on with my K and J Smiths when not on duty.
    I would then make learning the 1911 a serious undertaking.
    Probably my old Clackamas 5” Kimber with seven round mags loaded with ball until I can vet it with the small supply of Ranger T I acquired a couple of years ago. Have had no issues with about 1K of ball expended.
    I have an urge to locate a DAK P220 to try as a hedge in case the 1911 doesn’t work out.
    Would purchase some 10 round mags for the AR and spend some quality time with the Garand.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 12-29-2020 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Would the same reaction be present if the cops pulled sumdood over and saw a gym bag with a BJJ black belt and MMA gloves in the back seat? Or would that just more or less be regarded as a weird form of exercise?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    I can't say that would strike me as weird, but I have a bit of a Shotokan background from the 70's. I can't speak for any other LEO or former LEO.

It would alert me to the fact that I don't want to get anywhere near the ground with the guy, though.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I live in WV where basically anything goes gun wise, but spend time in PA due to family. Two years or so ago the PA agency that regulates hunting announced that they were going to allow hunting with semi-auto guns but didn’t specify anything else. I was in several gunshops where guys were stocking up on 5 and/or 10 round AR magazines and debating what the round limit would be for deer hunting. A month or so later the agency clarified that .22 semi autos would now be legal for small game hunting no change for big game hunting or birds.

Whatever you choose has as much chance of being wrong as right in the up coming brave new world. Too many round thingies in the clippy, too many calibers, too hollow pointy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    I've been thinking about the Biden-Harris ticket, the potential gun control bills and I've been wondering about a pistol and rifle that isn't likely to be targeted (IMO, it's gonna be about capacity and "assault weapon" features).

I'm thinking a G48, a lever action in 357/38 and a semi auto 12 gauge (a 1301 sans pistol grip).

What are your thoughts, what would you consider? Or am I being overly concerned about a '94 AWB-style bill happening again?
    I don’t think we really know what will happen. If you read the D platform, and believe the public statements made on the campaign, yes, I think the D’s will push hard for ‘sensible gun control’. Will they succeed in say making owning a G19 fifteen round magazine without a $200 tax stamp a felony? No idea. We’ll see. I live in FL, currently a very 2A friendly state. I don’t see much happening in my state to change that.

I can’t talk to long guns; I have no experience.

As a 5’6” guy, I’m better with smaller guns anyway, size M hands, etc. So coincidentally I’ve owned a few: Walther PPS M2 (sold, heavy gun for capacity), Glock 26.5. (never liked shooting it, and I think there are much better options these days ), HK P30SK LEM V1 (could not wrap my head around LEM), Glock 43X (too snappy), my wife’s P365 (too small, even for me) and my own P365XL (nice gun, but I felt it was too delicate for ccw).

I finally ended up with a Glock 48.

It offers the ability to have a SCD. It’s a Glock, meaning it is reliable, accurate, robust, easy to service, has cheap magazines, and is frustratingly hard to avoid shooting low and away. The G48 however is like this ‘just perfect size’ for me of skinniness, length and grip extent. It shoots +p like FMJ. I can nail 1” squares at 5 yards with ball ammo.

And has 10 round capacity.

So, yeah, I think the G48 is the way to go. Especially these days, whatever they bring. So much so, long term I will likely sell my current G19 and buy a second G48. I haven’t quite made that leap yet, but I can see it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Wait, so now we're suggesting a person carry a smaller, less capable gun in the off chance that they might get pulled over by a cop who might think that carrying a large or full size gun isn't reasonable? Why do you care what his personal opinion is concerning your carry choices? That makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. What's he gonna do, haul you in for carrying a Glock 19 instead of a Glock 43?

Personally I think the whole gRaY mAn thing has reached such levels of tactardom that it's lost it's meaning. It went from "don't do things and wear things that make you stand out like an asshole" to "I'm gonna buy these stealth grey 5.11 pants and Disruptive Grey™ Haley Strategic Flat Pack".
    I’m certainly not suggesting that you or anyone else do anything. I’m just stating what I have observed. But if you feel a G43 or G26 is less capable than a G19 as a defensive carry weapon in any way other than capacity, I don’t know what to tell you.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’m certainly not suggesting that you or anyone else do anything. I’m just stating what I have observed. But if you feel a G43 or G26 is less capable than a G19 as a defensive carry weapon in any way other than capacity, I don’t know what to tell you.
    I have big hands. My pinky wants to dangle off a G19. That's why I prefer the G17. Full firing grip. I can't get that with a G26 or G43 and it negatively impacts my ability to shoot the two finger Glocks. So yeah, it is more than capacity but I understand that not everyone will have the same problem.

I'm still curious though why the opinion of a cop that may never even pull you over has an impact on what you carry, considering both options would be legal. Would you let their opinion dictate your footwear?

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    I have big hands. My pinky wants to dangle off a G19. That's why I prefer the G17. Full firing grip. I can't get that with a G26 or G43 and it negatively impacts my ability to shoot the two finger Glocks. So yeah, it is more than capacity but I understand that not everyone will have the same problem.

I'm still curious though why the opinion of a cop that may never even pull you over has an impact on what you carry, considering both options would be legal. Would you let their opinion dictate your footwear?
    Why do you assume any cop’s opinion is driving my choice?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List