Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: 10 round Firearms

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’m going to put this out there, and half expect to be pummeled for it.

Before I was medically invalided from my semi sworn position with the county I was having a discussion with one of our deputies. He’s a good enough guy, a typical modern day cop - young, former .MIL, not a shooter. This wasn’t long after IL finally got CCW and he just had his first encounter with a traffic stop and civ carry. The motorist did everything I consider to be right - IL doesn’t have a requirement to notify, but most of us who aren’t “muh rights” types know that handing over your FCCL with your DL on first encounter is a good way of defusing a potentially stressful situation. He was curious, and asked the guy what he was carrying, and was somewhat shocked to hear it was basically the same as what the deputy himself had - a G19 and two reloads.

When we were talking he (the deputy) mentioned to me that he expected something like what I most often carried at the time - a Shield IWB and no reload. He wasn’t suspicious of the G19 carrier, but kept coming back to the perception that the guy was “loaded for bear.” I did my best to try and get him thinking that the carrier was just being prepared (he was heading into one of the rougher areas of the largest city in the county) but don’t know how successful I was - he kept coming back to the fact that he himself “only” carried a G26 off duty.

My point is that there is a perception issue in play with many LEOs. Yes, I will upgun when I feel the need, but it seems like the average law dog can understand the desire and need for a civ to carry something for defense - but a big rig can raise their eyebrows. In a way, choosing a smaller defensive handgun is a form of Gray Man.
    This is also true in the knife world...especially if you carry something in the large-ish category.

Or, leaving pocketknives out of it...something like the Clinch Pick or Push Dagger...or...sap or other striking implement...even where legal...will elicit a similar response.

LEOs, like anyone else, are part of the larger herd, and react similarly to seeing what they consider outside the norm.

If I'm honest, I'd probably have a similar reaction internally, even if not expressed, during a stop. I don't think it's abnormal or unusual.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

...My point is that there is a perception issue in play with many LEOs. Yes, I will upgun when I feel the need, but it seems like the average law dog can understand the desire and need for a civ to carry something for defense - but a big rig can raise their eyebrows. In a way, choosing a smaller defensive handgun is a form of Gray Man.
    As I believe are "obsolete" guns like revolvers.

In the dark and distant past, when I used to ride too fast at times on my motorcycle, I was stopped on two occasions in Az. This was before legal civilian concealed carry, if you wanted to be legally armed, it was open carry, or nothing. In both those traffic stops the officers didnt know how to check or clear my Colt Single Action Army revolver without me giving directions, then the response to the nickel 4 3/4" 44 was "Is this a real Colt?", "Wow cool!". I dont carry an SA as much lately, but if I had another Colt I probably would.

I suspect that in todays age, most revolvers would get similar reactions.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    During a traffic stop for 62 in a 55, I had my M9 in a JMCK wing claw 2.5 AIWB holster with a matching mag in its own IWB carrier. Mecgars so it was 18+1 in the gun and 18 in the second mag.

I knew I was speeding, admitted as much, provided my CHL with my DL.
    Officer raised an eyebrow and asked if I was carrying right now. I said yes and it's holstered on my person.
    He asked me to show him without touching my weapon and I complied. His eyes got kind of big when he saw that an M9 and a second mag could disappear under a button up shirt like that.

'You expecting trouble?'
    'No, Officer, but trouble likes to find us in this town no matter how much we try to avoid it'
    'You ain't kidding, but that's a lot to carry'
    'I'm in the Army, so these Berettas are second nature to me. it's a big bastard but it's what I know best'
    'Oh, that makes sense... I'll be back in a minute'

Came back with a written warning for 7 over and told me to stay safe.

So, to that end, I figure any veteran or military folks can justify a Beretta 92/M9 or Sig P320/M17/M18 much the same way, and it'll 'make sense' to most cops.

Of course, I say this now that I've transitioned to an HK45C for 95% of my carry, and am seriously considering going all the way back around to my G19's.

Site Supporter
    Very late to the party. Moderately rambling.

10 rd world-no grandfathering of std capacity mags.

Short Term- Carry a 5 inch all steel 1911 8+1 wilson ETM mag and drive on.

Mid to long term- Buy another 1911 ( SA LB Operator or similar offering from Dan Wesson absent stumbling across a used gem) or 2 SW M&P .45s with an eye toward dropping in some apex trigger goodness.

While I own 10 rd Glock mags for my G19/G17/G34/G35, I do not think them particularly reliable, especially in 9mm.

I suppose I would also buy some 10 rd Magpul mags to see how they work too in my 9mm Glocks relative to the OEM ones.

Having said the above, like many on this thread, I have a 2 '' J frame and a 4'' K frame and could make due with the gear I have until I could get an IWB rig for the K frame if push came to shove.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    This is also true in the knife world...especially if you carry something in the large-ish category.

Or, leaving pocketknives out of it...something like the Clinch Pick or Push Dagger...or...sap or other striking implement...even where legal...will elicit a similar response.

LEOs, like anyone else, are part of the larger herd, and react similarly to seeing what they consider outside the norm.

If I'm honest, I'd probably have a similar reaction internally, even if not expressed, during a stop. I don't think it's abnormal or unusual.
    I got pulled over in the small college town in Alabama where I lived and was known by one of the younger cops there after as “that guy with the Benchmade”. It was just a mini-stryker, but still I found it interesting.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Very late to the party. Moderately rambling.

10 rd world-no grandfathering of std capacity mags.

Short Term- Carry a 5 inch all steel 1911 8+1 wilson ETM mag and drive on.

Mid to long term- Buy another 1911 ( SA LB Operator or similar offering from Dan Wesson absent stumbling across a used gem) or 2 SW M&P .45s with an eye toward dropping in some apex trigger goodness.

While I own 10 rd Glock mags for my G19/G17/G34/G35, I do not think them particularly reliable, especially in 9mm.

I suppose I would also buy some 10 rd Magpul mags to see how they work too in my 9mm Glocks relative to the OEM ones.

Having said the above, like many on this thread, I have a 2 '' J frame and a 4'' K frame and could make due with the gear I have until I could get an IWB rig for the K frame if push came to shove.

For a 10 round reliable Glock you have the choice of a G26, G48, G43x or a G30. Or cut down a 19 to accept 26 mags which I tried and it felt weird to me.

You do you, but I prefer to not end up with a felony conviction and like my asshole watertight. The place to battle this stuff is in the courts and legislatures.
    Good luck with that

Site Supporter
    I've interacted with TX law after three major accidents (not my fault) and it was obvious I had a Glock, extra mag, Delica, Surefire. No problems. One officer did take the Glock, unloaded it and put it in his car until we were done with all the accident stuff.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Or cycling the action of your pump action double barrel shotgun.
    AKA the Moe Szyslak:

Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    AKA the Moe Szyslak:

That's one of those new Kel-Tecs isn't it?

Edit to add: I bought a few 10 round mags for some of my pistols.

The answer to any 10 round mag question is Glock 26 any Gen.

User Tag List