Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I the only guy that doesn't like the Gen5 trigger?

I wouldn’t say my Gen 5s got mushy, but more like a lot of drag and grit. I had one 19 that developed a 3 stage trigger. The firing pin block was causing a hiccup in the take up.

Maybe they need to be kept real clean? I don’t clean a lot. Just add lube unless it looks really bad. I’ve also put in the Lone Wolf channel liners. They are a lot smoother than the Glock channel liners and I think that helps a little. I haven’t polished the spring cups but I imagine that’s another good area to hit.

I don’t mind it. Glock triggers are fine even when they are bad ones. It’s more just that I like to tinker and see what changes can be made and what effects they have.

I may try a Gen 5 Johnny Glock trigger in one of the guns just for fun. My theory is that since the Gen 5s seem to have much tighter tolerances, the parts stack up and create more drag. I imagine with some type of aftermarket trigger that’s polished real well, you’ll eliminate any of these negative tendencies that seem to creep in to the gen 5s as they get more rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    I've owned two Gen5's...one of the first G19's and a recent G17 MOS (both since traded away).

I've also owned Gen4 guns (also long gone) and always find myself coming back to the Gen3 or Gen2's. They just seem to fill my hand right and have great triggers.

I have finally just come to accept I MUCH PREFER the factory Gen2/Gen3 triggers (Gen4 had the stupid bump on the trigger bar).

I want to give MRD another chance on a Glock. I'm pondering trying to find an old Gen2 or one of the repro-P80's (if I can find one).

Thoughts?
    Next time LMK, I’ll trade you my Gen 4’s for a Gen 5 all day long...

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    No, I had the same conversation with a coworker this week.

Although I have no data to support it, I feel like I prefer gen 3 or 4 triggers.

In my mind, it comes down to how you handle the trigger.
    If you attack it in one constant press, such as a revolver, then you will probably prefer the Gen 5. If you want to prep the trigger to the utmost before firing, then Gen 3 or 4 seems better for staging.

All that said, I haven't noticed enough of a difference on B8s at 25 yards between a 19.4 and 19.5, both stock except sights to say for sure.
    It seems I’ve shot more pretty B8s with a Gen 3 or 4 minus/KKM combo than others but I haven’t made a science out of it. I really like my current G45 and 19X triggers and run like a DA press they have been great for getting good hits under time pressure vs pure slowfire.

But those anecdotal hunches aside I think they’re all similar enough I might find more differences between individual specimens across Gens than a general rule about a Gen. One son has a Gen 4 G19 with the heaviest roughest minus trigger of any Glock I’ve tried and the other has a Gen 4 G19 with perhaps the very best I’ve ever felt.
    The bad one got a special inspect and upgrade on a trip to Smyrna and the tech on that one reported he tried multiple swap outs of everything relevant without discernible changes. He acknowledged that was a rough one alright.

Overall I have grown pretty fond of the triggers in general. I like 1911 triggers and good wheelie triggers but in striker guns I like the Glocks just fine.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    The only thing that ever really bugged me about Glocks early on was the blocky feel in the hand. But I got so used to it, that when the smaller grip came standard on later models, it felt unnatural and I had to install one of the backstraps so it would feel right again. Otherwise it felt, to use a technical term, "squirmy".
    Blockiness is a feature not a bug.

And I shoot Gen 5 triggers best due to their general squishiness.

Yep.

The flat sides makes the Glock index and track better than more ‘ergonomic’ grip shapes.

If the triggers stayed smooth and mushy they’d be great. I like smooth mush/creep. Gritty mush not so much.

The same as most here, I leave ‘em stock and don’t go chasing a better trigger. As long as it works and the safety stuff works, I carry it.

Can’t say that I’ve noticed much difference in the few Glocks I’ve messed with as far as generational triggers. A Gen 5 with a Lone Wolf 3.5 connector is pretty nice though. I’m leaning towards getting an Apex Action Enhancement Kit though, because I got to try one and it’s pretty nice. Smooth break, short reset and nearly no overtravel.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    I've owned two Gen5's...one of the first G19's and a recent G17 MOS (both since traded away).

I've also owned Gen4 guns (also long gone) and always find myself coming back to the Gen3 or Gen2's. They just seem to fill my hand right and have great triggers.

I have finally just come to accept I MUCH PREFER the factory Gen2/Gen3 triggers (Gen4 had the stupid bump on the trigger bar).

I want to give MRD another chance on a Glock. I'm pondering trying to find an old Gen2 or one of the repro-P80's (if I can find one).

Thoughts?
    No, your not. Been shooting Glocks since 94'. My original gen 2 guns are still the best shooting/triggers on any Glock's I've handled. They have crisp walls that are predictable. Have a couple of gen3 guns that have good triggers and a couple that do not (creepy and mushy). The gen 4 is the worst in inconsistency across individual guns from what I've seen. Have a G22 gen4 that I have tried all kinds of combinations of stock parts to no avail and have settled on it's very creepy long pull as being a mini-DAO type pull. I can still get very good accuracy in slow fire with it but not my preferred type of trigger. It feels pretty much like the gen 5's that I've handled. It comes down to what you like/prefer in triggers. If a long, slow, rolling break is your thing than the gen 5's are great. I have tried to come around to gen 5's, because I like Glocks, but every time I feel the trigger its a no go for me. They do appear to be the most consistent triggers, gun to gun, of any of the generations. Also, I have heard that the gen 5 triggers actually get grittier instead of smoother once they have a couple thousand rounds through them.

Different sized frames but my Gen4 G17 is a better shooter than my Gen2 G19...and may be the most accurate of any Glock I have fired to date. (Shooting them since 1987 or 1988.)

I think there are too many variables to make a definitive statement for the entire line of any particular generation. In my case, it's probably how the gun fits my hand, the added barrel length, its weight and how it recoils.

That said, I like 'em all and have no intention of getting rid of any of the generations, especially since the Gen 2 and 2.5 were what I carried in the service of Uncle and have sentimental value on top of their continuing capability as worthy firearms.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

No love for Gen 1’s?

Name:  1CC4C814-2B98-4A10-9A85-89BA97A6888F.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  43.4 KB

(Photo taken at National Firearms Museum, Buffalo Bill Center of The West, Cody WY)

On topic:

I’ve shot my early Production G19.5 about 6,500+ rounds. Some of that was with an Overwatch trigger and trigger bar. I have upgraded to the latest TMH, but currently have the original parts back in. Same trigger, connector, same striker block, etc. I don’t have any noticeable grind or drag, but I’ve taken it apart and put it back together many times looking for binding in the action. Part of the attraction of a Glock for me is even a fumble-fingered guy like me can work on them with a punch and roll of duct tape.

I’ve had two slimline Glocks, both triggers were fine. I just bought a G34.5 and the trigger was also fine, really.

I guess I accept the feel of a Glock trigger since I like the fact it’s partly tensioned, and you have to move it 1/2” to release; as opposed to my VP9 which IIRC had 1/4” of travel.

I do like all the other Gen 5 stuff, as was said earlier, too.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    IME internals' tolerances play as big if not bigger part in the equation as part design/generation.

From the samples I had:

• Gen 2 with a total heavy crap trigger and a wall you needed a sledgehammer to break through.
    • Multiple examples of smooth rolling break Gen 4s (with Gen 3 trigger bars).
    • One Gen 4 that refused to improve with $5 worth of patience in 25c trigger jobs. Only cured it with an SSVI Tyr trigger on a--strangely--Gen 4 trigger bar.

I stayed with only hand polishing. All stock dot connectors, all stock springs, because I never wanted a lighter or shorter trigger, just a smoother one with a rolling break.

Recently ordered some Apex plungers, but my guess is they may work better in one combo and not in another.

I've considered NP3ing the part combos I've found to already work to my liking, for the extra butter.

TLDR: Lesson learned was to treat each Glock as it's own animal, swap and (responsibly) polish the different examples of the same stock parts until achieving a combo that gives you the reasonable (Glock like, not 1911 like) characteristics you're looking for.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

User Tag List