Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only guy that doesn't like the Gen5 trigger?

Not a Glockfan here... or much of a Glock expert either, but earlier this year I got to dry-press a G43X belonging to one Larry Mudgett, who IS a Glockfan, and whose Glock was entirely stock, and I found it to be the finest stock Glock trigger I’ve ever pressed. Almost as good as my VP9’s.

A clear improvement over previous examples I have handled.

The triggers in my 43s and 48s are a lot different than the ones in my Gen5 17s.

The triggers in the small frame guns are a lot smoother with a heavier, crisper break.

I don’t generally prefer crisp in handgun trigger, but the Gen5 17s are unpredictable enough that I can slow fire the little ones better. Like sometimes it pulls smooth, sometimes gritty, sometimes it’ll actually pop before it drops the striker, sometimes it lets off crisp, sometimes it creeps off and makes you dip the front sight.

I start the trigger press with my finger off the trigger and smash through all of it. It’s the only way to shoot a Glock IME.

I liken it to a wildly exaggerated Geissele SSA trigger.

Absolutely Garbage for precision, just fine for ripping rounds off.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    The triggers in my 43s and 48s are a lot different than the ones in my Gen5 17s.

The triggers in the small frame guns are a lot smoother with a heavier, crisper break.

I don’t generally prefer crisp in handgun trigger, but the Gen5 17s are unpredictable enough that I can slow fire the little ones better. Like sometimes it pulls smooth, sometimes gritty, sometimes it’ll actually pop before it drops the striker, sometimes it lets off crisp, sometimes it creeps off and makes you dip the front sight.

I start the trigger press with my finger off the trigger and smash through all of it. It’s the only way to shoot a Glock IME.

And that is the magic of the Glock. Objectively less than ideal in so many ways, but when you shoot action competition games or defense oriented drills, and look at the points and the timer, the Glock punches way above its weight.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    ...the Glock punches way above its weight.
    And takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I am not happy with the Gen5 trigger, but, I never really loved the Gen4 or Gen3, either. The Glock trigger is what it is. That is one reason my Glocks are relegated to the safe, now, in these days of isolation, as I need live-fire confirmation, with Glocks. Dry-fire ain’t enough. (Long-stroke DA is my least-perishable trigger skill set, and so I have been revolving-around, lately.)

I am, of course, able to tell the difference. Each Glock generation means another adjustment.

One of my Gen4 G19 Glocks, a MOS, had a dismal trigger, the worst of the lot, Gen3, 4, or 5. When I started trading-off my G19 pistols, this year, it was the first to go. (Compact Nines vex my aging hands.) The Gen4 G17, that I bought in 2015, to be my duty pistol, was quite nice, out of the box. The next Gen4 G17 that I bought, to be the spare, was not nearly as good. So, my sample of six Gen4 Glocks, G26, G19, and G17, have been all over the place.

My only Gen5 Glock, that I bought new, as-delivered from the factory, is a G19x. I later added a Gen5 G17, but got it pre-owned, and it was a Wilson Combat G17, so its trigger may have been cleaned-up while at WC, but, notably, its trigger is very much like that in the G19x.

It is difficult for me to remember the triggers in the Gen3 Glocks I bought during the 2002-2004 time that I first bought into Glock, when I used a pair of G22 duty pistols. I phased them out, in 2005, after switching to SIGs. I bought a pre-owned Gen3 G17, in 2012, with a quite sweet trigger, by Glock standards. The parts appeared stock.

My best Glock trigger, is in a Gen3 G17C, acquired relatively recently, but it should be, as its first owner had sent it to Robar for the full meal deal.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I prefer the gen5 triggers to any other Glock trigger in both stock form and modified. I find them more forgiving and shootable than previous generations, and I can get them lighter modified while still being more reliable on most primers without needing an aftermarket striker.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    And that is the magic of the Glock. Objectively less than ideal in so many ways, but when you shoot action competition games or defense oriented drills, and look at the points and the timer, the Glock punches way above its weight.
    Do many people shoot Glocks in competition with stock triggers?

@Rex G interesting observation about the long DA pull being least perishable - I think I find it so also. A few months ago I was surprised to see pretty decent DA wheelie hits after a couple years of not firing a shot out of one.

@Gio - "more forgiving" is I think a good way to put it.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I prefer the gen5 triggers to any other Glock trigger in both stock form and modified. I find them more forgiving and shootable than previous generations, and I can get them lighter modified while still being more reliable on most primers without needing an aftermarket striker.
    I concur.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post

I agree 100% with you on this. I wouldn’t say I love my 43x and 48 triggers but they are much better than any of the Gen 5s I own. I still have to really think about the trigger press on my G45. I don’t on my 48. If fact, out to 15 yards I often shoot better groups with my 48.

Someone put a slimline trigger in a 17 for me and I’ll stop bitching (mostly) about Glocks.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List