Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I the only guy that doesn't like the Gen5 trigger?

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Just curious...... From a combat perspective would a particular generation or generations make a difference in the outcome of a social even?

Would a particular generation change the outcome of a competitive event?
    Don't know anything about combat and social events.

Competition: some professional Glock tuners commented that earlier generations lend themselves better to trigger modifications and improvements, so maybe in a highly modified realm earlier generations have advantages.
    In addition, confidence is a big part of competitive performance so if someone feels that they have a better trigger, that may change how aggressive they are etc.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I really don't get too worked up about any of them.

The Gen 3s is where I have stopped buying (at the moment) as my current needs are met.

A 17.2 with a Brownells optics cut slide, 19.3s, 34.3 (the 34 is my favorite iron sighted model) and a couple of 3rd Gen .45 ACPs all meet my needs. If I need more accuracy than the stock barrel can provide, a custom barrel makes sense. The Gen 5 primary draw for me is the reported accuracy, but I don't see picking one up any time soon, unless a really great deal is come across.

The 17.2 I have seems to be Goldilocks in terms of a proper trigger for street professional/street work. It is probably is the 4# range, which is fine. That gun has a lot of good things going on with it.

Not super fancy, it just works.

I've owned gen 2 and gen 3 Glocks in the past and I think the gen 5 triggers, and the gen 5 guns in general absolutely dunk on all the previous generations, and it's not really even close in my opinion.

The mag well, the increase in accuracy of the Marksman barrels, the lack of finger grooves, actual useable grip texture, smooth-ish triggers with a clean break and reset, and positive ejection are all real improvements that Glock made. Put forward serrations on all the models and remove the half moon cutout on the front of the grip and that takes the gen 5 from 95% to 99.9% perfection.

^ I fell in love with the smooth, clean Gen5 trigger in ‘17.

I’ve owned a few of them and they don’t stay that way. They get gritty and unpredictable after a couple cases of ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Just curious...... From a combat perspective would a particular generation or generations make a difference in the outcome of a social even?

Would a particular generation change the outcome of a competitive event?

This is only from my perspective.

When you show up some place, you go get issued your gear, including weapons. In the case of pistols, it really does not matter much what it is to a degree. You sign for your stuff. You go run a qual (sometimes) and go to work. What you are given really has very little to do with anything, and they have very little to do with the big picture. You are the guy who affects the outcome. The hardware (as long as it runs right) does not, and it is just a tool. Just stick the thing in your belt and go.

You could get issued a Bongo truck or a Suburban. How you use your tools will determine success or failure

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post

I’ve owned a few of them and they don’t stay that way. They get gritty and unpredictable after a couple cases of ammo.
    I’ve owned two different G19.5 guns. I sold one with about 6k rounds through it earlier this year to fund a G26.5. The trigger was still as smooth as it came from the factory. I still own the other one and it has about 3.5k through it. The trigger is even better than it was when I first got it. No grit to speak of. How many cases of ammo are we talking?
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    This is only from my perspective.

When you show up some place, you go get issued your gear, including weapons. In the case of pistols, it really does not matter much what it is to a degree. You sign for your stuff. You go run a qual (sometimes) and go to work. What you are given really has very little to do with anything, and they have very little to do with the big picture. You are the guy who affects the outcome. The hardware (as long as it runs right) does not, and it is just a tool. Just stick the thing in your belt and go.

You could get issued a Bongo truck or a Suburban. How you use your tools will determine success or failure
    This has always been my point of view and why I never get involved in these debates.

I was issued a couple of firearms in the early 80's at my first post of duty...and continued to receive and make due with issued gear for the next twenty something years, regardless of assignment or locale. Had no input into the selection process, but for what I personally purchased and was allowed to qualify with...until that option was removed sometime in the mid to late 90's.

My job was simply to be competent with anything assigned to me, and to keep it maintained. I never had a problem doing that, despite liking some firearms more than others.

And so it goes.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post

I’ve noticed that too. They get worse rather than better for some reason.

I’ve got them going pretty decent with minus connectors, 5lb striker springs, and reduced power plunger springs but it’s a weird thing.

As many have already said, figuring out which Glock trigger is best is like figuring out which Dem is best fit to be president. There’s really not any great choices.

That said, I’ve got a Gen 2 G17, have shot a few Gen 3 17s/19s, have a couple Gen 4 19s, and have a Gen 5 17. My favorite is my G17.5. But I also make the same exact modifications to their triggers regardless of their generation. Minus connector, gen 3 smooth trigger bar (unless it’s a Gen5), and very light polishing on contact surfaces. That’s it.

My Gen 4s are probably the worst as they’re generally heavier and grittier despite having 10s of thousands of dry presses through them as well as thousands of rounds downrange. My Gen 2 is better. Smooth take up then a distinct break, very workable. My Gen 5 is hands down the best. Smooth all the way through and the break is just a nice rolling crescendo that’s super predictable.

At the end of the day I still much prefer to shoot my 92G with a D spring.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    Quote Originally Posted by pew_pew View Post
    I’ve noticed that too. They get worse rather than better for some reason.

I’ve got them going pretty decent with minus connectors, 5lb striker springs, and reduced power plunger springs but it’s a weird thing.
    I have only read about this on PF. However, this seems to be a place where people actually shoot and use their guns hard so I wouldn't be surprised if an issue popped up here first.

So far my Gen 5's have not changed, but I have lower round counts than I normally would because of the continued ammo shortage.

The local PD that services my school switched from 1911's to Glock Gen 5 17's and 45's. I work with a couple of guys regularly that are also on the SWAT Team. They shoot quite a bit as they still have access to ammo. I asked them about the Glock trigger getting mushy last time they were by and they have not seen this in any of the the guns used by team members. This was the first they had heard about this, so they were going to ask around for me.

I will catch up with them again after the new years and hopefully will have some additional information. Initially they were not very happy with the switch, but now they are extremely happy with their Glocks. They switched because it was becoming more difficult to service their 1911's and there was more options for holsters and support gear.

I am really liking my Gen 5's so far and I am hopeful that doesn't change as I get more rounds through them.

User Tag List