Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I the only guy that doesn't like the Gen5 trigger?

Student
    Having casually plinked with other people's Gen 2 to 4, owning and occasionally shooting an Apexed M&P9 1.0 and voluntaried 320, and then finally starting serious learning on a P10C and a G45, I can't honestly say I noticed anything significant between any of their triggers. The differences between different double-actions, however, have really stood out to me.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    The older I get, the more I like my guns stock. Recently, I have begun removing most of the doodahs and returning most of the factory parts to my handguns. I'm good with a factory Glock trigger, but have been shooting them for quite a while. I agree with Blue on this one; I want it simple and I want it to go bang. I would be willing to bet that almost everyone on this forum shoots better than me and I am OK with that. I tend to use my handguns for hunting, camping, and hiking and care more about absolute reliability and safety over split times. I have a few Gen 5's and do like those triggers better than my Gen 3's.

I am not knocking anybody for their modifications, just commenting on my regression or perhaps progression from age.

For me, the Gen 5 trigger is an improvement and a gun I can keep almost entirely stock. That is a big win for me.

Just curious...... From a combat perspective would a particular generation or generations make a difference in the outcome of a social even?

Would a particular generation change the outcome of a competitive event?

Am I the only guy that doesn't like the Gen5 trigger?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If we are having a candid conversation, if you want a great trigger, you don’t buy a Glock.
    This right here. You don’t buy a Glock. You buy a 1911 and pay a reputable Smith to work it.

I guess I’m weird, I’ve tried Glock multiple times and sold them all for a myriad of reasons already mentioned. I bought a 17.5 specifically for GSSF matches and it’s the first Glock I can actually tolerate enough to say that I could learn to like them if I had to.

My last one was a 34.4 MOS bought used but pristine off of a tactical Timmy. I took it to the range, fired a mag, didn’t believe it and fired another just to make sure. That thing had a 2.25lb trigger all day long that broke cleaner than my tuned TRP. I took it home and yanked out all of the ZEV Ultimate parts and springs, put them in a bag and sold them online. Then installed all new factory Glock parts. I would have never had any confidence that it was close to being safe with the ZEV stuff in it. That’s not a slap on ZEV as I’ve no idea who installed it and their qualifications. After that it had the absolute shittiest trigger on the planet. High Point has never produced a trigger that shitty. No amount of polishing or disconnector tweaking and swapping without compromising the factory coatings would fix it, so I sold the gun.

The 17.5 feels like nirvana in comparison. The lack of repeatability in Glock and S&W M&P triggers from gun to gun is maddening. H&K doesn’t seem to be a crapshoot so why can’t the ones that are everywhere show some consistency?

Every Gen 5 I’ve shot has had better triggers than any previous Gen Glock that I’ve ever owned or handled. All the rest of the .5 updates are just gravy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I had the same conversation with a coworker this week.

Although I have no data to support it, I feel like I prefer gen 3 or 4 triggers.

In my mind, it comes down to how you handle the trigger.
    If you attack it in one constant press, such as a revolver, then you will probably prefer the Gen 5. If you want to prep the trigger to the utmost before firing, then Gen 3 or 4 seems better for staging.

All that said, I haven't noticed enough of a difference on B8s at 25 yards between a 19.4 and 19.5, both stock except sights to say for sure.

Site Supporter
    As long as the brass doesn't hit me in the face, I don't care which model if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Gen 5 is the best out of the box trigger in a Glock I've experienced. Never fired a Gen 1. Maybe after eleventy-bajillion dry fires the Gen 2s are as good as some of you seem to recall, I recall it more like stirring a bucket of sand with a broken boat oar.
    I don't just recall the Gen 2, I own one. Glock triggers have always sucked but I like the clean lines and how the gun fits the hand so I have held on to it.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I prefer the Gen 5 Glocks and their triggers to all previous models. I like them even better after a little work.

Surprisingly, I’ve gotten little trigger time on the Gen 5s, assuming of course the 43 and 48 don’t count. Speaking of which, my 43 and 48 triggers were so sharp and uncomfortable, I couldn’t sand them enough to make it right. They both sport Apex triggers now.

The 43 has the Apex trigger component only, everything else as it came from the factory. It made the pull feel so much better, even though it’s clocking in 1/2 pound heavier.

I don’t think it’s so bad to have a reasonable amount of trigger cleanup by someone competent. No one bats an eye at someone getting an LTT Beretta or a 1911 from a reputable smith, both are essentially guns with trigger jobs. I guess the problem with Glocks is basically everyone can work on a Glock, but not everyone should work on a Glock.

The only thing that ever really bugged me about Glocks early on was the blocky feel in the hand. But I got so used to it, that when the smaller grip came standard on later models, it felt unnatural and I had to install one of the backstraps so it would feel right again. Otherwise it felt, to use a technical term, "squirmy".

I've never been bothered by the triggers as received, various mandated NY triggers etc.

I guess I can thank my parents for not spoiling me and being content with what I had.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List