Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bushnell RXS-250

Bushnell RXS-250

Was anyone here able to grab one before they vanished? Bushnell is now saying March restock, and that response was far greater than they planned for production wise. If this is the first your hearing of it check out the videos and limited reviews that are already online, also KC Eusebio has been running them for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by CanineCombatives View Post
    Was anyone here able to grab one before they vanished? Bushnell is now saying March restock, and that response was far greater than they planned for production wise. If this is the first your hearing of it check out the videos and limited reviews that are already online, also KC Eusebio has been running them for a while.
    I have one. I finally have some time behind it to where I’m comfortable writing it up.

Back in August, Bushnell held a media event at Gunsite to demo their new pistol mounted optics – RXS100 and RXS250. Several people from Vista Group and its companies were there, as were numerous current gun writers. I was there to run the range / defensive firearms side of the three-day event. Jessie Harrison and KC Eusebio, both Bushnell sponsored competitive shooters, were there and handled competitive shooting instruction.

For the event's duration we had a Gen 5 Glock 17 MOS with a Bushnell RXS250 mounted to it. They were zeroed for 15 yards when they arrived (that was at our request, see the Sig Sauer PMO instructor class thread).

These have a 4moa dot with ten settings, the up button is on the left-hand side of the housing, and the down button is on the right. The factory says it has a 50K hour battery life with a top-loading CR2032 battery. The elevation and windage are 1moa per click. With Rx lenses, it has a thinner vertical line popping out the top. With un-aided eyes, it looks like a weird asterisk. I'm just trying to describe its clarity.

There were nineteen of the Glocks set up the same way for the event - fourteen for gun writers and Vista Group staff, two for the pro shooters, and three for the Gunsite instructors.

Federal shipped out 10K rounds for the event, and they finished up with noticeably less than 2000. Those 8000 rounds weren't evenly split up among all of us. Some shot a lot more than others. Maybe I fired 300 rounds, and that was mostly in demos.

We found one problem – when the batteries were installed, not all of the caps had been tightened correctly. They loosened up, and the dots went out. They were tightened correctly, and the dots stayed on. Other than that, I did not see any electrical or mechanical failures with any of the optics in use. None of them appeared to loosen up at the mounts.

One of the engineers was present, and I was able to talk with him. They aren't trying to beat Trijicon or Leupold or Aimpoint or Holosun with either of these. They are trying to get name recognition and set the conditions to take them on with their next offering(s).

I like the top-mounted CR2032 battery with a cap that has a single slot – think dime – in it. The optic sits higher than the stock sights on the 17.5 MOS, rendering them useless.

The Up/Down buttons, sitting on either side of the housing which is flared, are easy to reach and use. However, they are wide enough that I had to take the Dremel tool to the inside of the hood on the holster I was using – 6354DO. We were using Blackhawk T series holsters that did not have an optics hood during the media event.

The housing has a forward angled hood protecting the glass – while everything else in common use is vertical or rearward. The forward angle keeps the gun from consistently seating in the 6354DO. Not an issue in a class, potentially a problem on the street. It is not an issue with an open-top rig like a Raven Phantom, especially the Roland Special Fight Club version.

The top of the housing is flat, straight across – not rounded like the Leupold or sunken like the Trijicon. This has not been a distraction when shooting it. I prefer the straight line to other optics' rounded tops when using the housing as an in-extremis sighting reference. I taught using it that way. The straight line was the first thing that stood out to me when I removed it from the case.

With the current ammo situation, I wasn't going to run rounds through a gun I'm not currently carrying just for the hell of it. So, it has sat for a bit.

This past week I took Sage Dynamics' Low Light Encounters instructor class. With a listed round count of 700 rounds, I decided to use it. I shot about 450 in the class. So, I've now got between 750-800 rounds through it. Not enough to give it a strong recommendation, not sufficient to recommend it for duty. However, it has lasted through more rounds than a couple of the early RMRs I had on a duty gun.

Name:  IMG_7384.jpg
Views: 2064
Size:  49.1 KB Name:  IMG_7382.jpg
Views: 1812
Size:  35.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_7385.jpg
Views: 1631
Size:  46.7 KB Name:  IMG_7383.jpg
Views: 1516
Size:  33.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_7390.jpg
Views: 1584
Size:  18.3 KB

Hope this helps.

What a great writeup, thank you Eric.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    What a great writeup, thank you Eric.
    You're welcome, sir. Much appreciated.

Wonder how much time needs to pass for them to feel they achieved the name recognition and set the conditions for the next version, which I assume will be the model they intend to take on the established players with.

Wonder how much time needs to pass for them to feel they achieved the name recognition and set the conditions for the next version, which I assume will be the model they intend to take on the established players with.
    Couldn't tell you.

I did forget to mention this uses the Leupold DPP footprint rather than the Trijicon RMR style.

I would say they just need to have a decent product at a good price point that is widely available. Obviously, testing by gun forum owners is paramount
    #RESIST

How has the RXS-250 held up? It seems like the options with the DPP footprint are limited to very tall (DPP) or very wide (R1P) optics.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Looks to be available on the Bushnell Amazon store.

https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-RXS2...ef_=ast_sto_dp
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    How has the RXS-250 held up? It seems like the options with the DPP footprint are limited to very tall (DPP) or very wide (R1P) optics.
    I have not shot it since the Cowan class earlier this year. So I won’t be any help there.

User Tag List