Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Children out sledding come across loaded gun in Malden (MA)

Children out sledding come across loaded gun in Malden (MA)

They located a loaded 380 semi-automatic pistol that was in the snow in the area where kids were sledding. No one was hurt and officers seized the semi-automatic weapon. They soon learned the owner of the gun had taken two runs with his kids down the hill nicknamed “Seven Bumps” before he realized the gun had fallen out of his holster and into the snow. Sources say the man has had his license to carry suspended by Medford police, the agency who issued it in the first place. Police have not yet ruled out the possibility of charging the man in relation to the incident.
    https://whdh.com/news/children-out-s...gun-in-malden/

Uncle Mike strikes again.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Heavy rain & near 60 degree weather since Thursday evening has completely erased over a foot of snow in CT. Sounds like a good time to check out the sledding hills for Uncle Mike's dropsies.

Children out sledding come across loaded gun in Malden (MA)

Good example of the challenges of CCW. I have holsters I trust for skiing, but not all of mine pass the test: will the gun stay put when I crash hard? Here are the best solutions I have found:

Safepacker

Ruger LCR pocket carry in a zipped pocket with nothing else inside.

What do y’all use for extreme sports retention with concealment?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Good example of the challenges of CCW. I have holsters I trust for skiing, but not all of mine pass the test: will the gun stay put when I crash hard? Here are the best solutions I have found:

Safepacker

Most of the time, just a complete over garment like my dead bird pants designed to go over what I’m already wearing.
    #RESIST

It’s a hard problem to solve using any of my usual holsters. I’ve gone on some long tumbling falls on skis, and I could easily imagine a gun coming out of an AIWB holster and slipping out of my jacket.

Aside: I wasn’t carrying at the time, but I once got into a hilarious fight with a snowboarder in the lift line. He had cut me off and I had some choice words for him in line. Then he shoved me. So I shoved him with the grip of my ski pole and he fell. Because snowboard. Then he kept trying to get up and fight me, and I shoved him down each time, with the pole, saying “Dude, stop fighting. I don’t want to lose my lift ticket.” Fortunately the lift attendant saw the whole thing and booted him.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Safepacker

I haven't been skiing in years (and thus, haven't actually used this), but the HPG Kit Bag(s) come to mind.
    Grab your gun and bring in the cat.

Quote Originally Posted by WeepingAngel View Post
    I haven't been skiing in years (and thus, haven't actually used this), but the HPG Kit Bag(s) come to mind.
    I don’t always eat it on a wooded hill trail, but when I do, I’m carrying one of those HPG bags.

As an aside, I like the HPG for bedroom duty, too: gat, reloads, extra flashlight, TQ, gauze & gloves, plus a spare set of contacts, all zipped up and hanging around. The other night, we thought the jeep car alarm was going off—it was actually a neighbor’s truck going off a few houses down the street, but it was nice to shrug the kit bag over a fleece, kill the porch light, and have a quick look outside to see what was up.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    I don't know if my mountain biking counts as extreme anymore (catching air? lord no . . ) but I've been running a 340 pd in the thigh pocket of some Race Face baggy shorts. The pocket is in a perfect location, so it's not bothersome. A fanny pack also works.

I think zipped in a pocket or a secure bag is a good way to avoid an embarrassing yard sale, or worse. Not a fast draw, but I've got a gun.

Chest rig with jacket zipped over it. Two small holes drilled in chest rig, either breakable twine (slows draw down undetectably but not that much more secure) or strong twine with zipper knot (slows draw down ~.5 sec IF you don't miss the pull on the zipper knot. If you do anyone's guess.) Neither are ideal but I don't know an ideal solution. Chest rig with jacket zipped up over it isn't exactly concealment by some definitions and there's no way to have your cake and eat it too.

User Tag List