Thread: Remington 514 Extraction Woes

Site Supporter

Remington 514 Extraction Woes

When I finally got a chance to shoot the Remington 514 I bought for my grandson's Christmas present, I found that fired cases didn't extract at all. I figured it was due to a dirty chamber so I hit with a bronze brush and Hoppe's but there was no improvement. The extractor moves freely but doesn't seem to engage the case rim. Loaded rounds will drop out of the chamber by their own weight so the chamber seems okay. Fingernail extraction is working for the time being.

Suggestions?

Do you have adequate tools to remove the extractor and spring to check them out? The spring may be gummed up or just toast, the extractor may be worn or chipped, and combine with the spring to cause the problem.

If either part look flaky, Numrich has some parts listed including a new repro extractor and new extractor spring. It doesnt say if the spring is original or repro, but that may not matter if it makes it work.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...rifles-rem/514

I had a 303 Lee Enfield once that didnt extract well. Removing the extractor, it had hard crud packed under it limiting how well it could grab the rim of the shell, once cleaned it worked again.
    Last edited by Malamute; 12-25-2020 at 01:14 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Malamute offers good suggestions. If you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner, they do a good job of getting stuff out of nooks and crannies without having to tear the bolt apart.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    @Malamute - I have neither the tools nor the skills to take the bolt apart. Looks like I may have to take it to a local 'smith.

ETA: The spring is present and working.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    @Malamute - I have neither the tools nor the skills to take the bolt apart. Looks like I may have to take it to a local 'smith.

If you look at the parts diagram on the Numrich site, its held in with a pin, then theres the extractor, plunger, and spring. Pretty simple as far as mechanical stuff goes. Main thing is not letting the parts escape when tapping out the pin with small hammer and punch or correct size nail. It may help the file the point of the nail flatter so it doesnt try to skate off the pin. Doing it in a place with fewer places for the parts to disappear into helps. Some try doing stuff like this in a large clear plastic bag. I just try to hold stuff together when they come apart, mostly successfully.

Edit: Oops, no, theres no pin, it looks like the extractor just goes in sideways to hold the spring and plunger in place. Pushing the plunger in with a small screwdriver tip, awl or wire may give room to pull the extractor out the side of its recess.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

FYI - a search for "remington 514 extractor replacement" yielded several returns for multiple yt vids on same.

User Tag List