Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Explosion in Nashville, TN

Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    I think you are probably right. Reports of giving away stuff and saying he had cancer and playing a song about being lonely are making me lean toward flashy suicide. May have been the site of a bad date or getting stood up or something who knows. I would have expected a manifesto of some sort if it were politically or conspiracy motivated. If I were pissed people were partying the bars with music and everything are just around the corner. This street is mostly restaurants not the main party scene.
    Reminiscent of the Marvin Heemeyer incident. His situation might be a bit different in that he specifically targeted those that he felt had wronged him, but I think his end goal wasn't to hurt innocent parties.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    So...maybe it's not as surprising to everyone as it is to me, because you can learn literally anything online, but the fact that some damn nobody in middle America just puzzles out how to build a fucking IED changes my view of what grave extremes I ought to be training and preparing for.

More tourniquets are on route to my apartment.

I really ought to take a TCC first aid class.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Absolutely take a TCCC course. You'll be glad you did.

So...maybe it's not as surprising to everyone as it is to me, because you can learn literally anything online, but the fact that some damn nobody in middle America just puzzles out how to build a fucking IED changes my view of what grave extremes I ought to be training and preparing for.

The Army manual for many topics, like improvised munitions, can be found online for download. That also includes combat life saver, TCCC and others. Some manuals you find may be older, but the internet is an amazing resource for information.

More tourniquets are always good. They make great presents or accessory presents if your SO picked the main present.

In industrial settings you learn that lots of things want to blow up, the hard part is stopping them.

Take a TCCC course if you can. IIRC you're a medical guy, but I ended up in a situation a few months ago where I had to direct the first aid being done on me and having those lessons be fresh was essential with the pain and the shock clouding my mind and scared dumbasses doing the work.
    Last edited by MickAK; 12-28-2020 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Anti-modernity causes...
    WTF is an anti-modernity cause? Is that woke-speak for someone who's read the constitution?!

And am I the only one who's read Ted's manifesto?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    WTF is an anti-modernity cause? Is that woke-speak for someone who's read the constitution?!

And am I the only one who's read Ted's manifesto?
    It’s just another descriptor for neo-luddites, people who hate technology and think it’s harm outweighs it’s benefits and/or that it will destroy humanity.

It has fuck all to do with reading the constitution and privacy issues. You’re thinking too small. Economics, culture, and even the future form of humanity for starters.

Ted Kaczynski is neither the origin, nor the sum of the neo-Luddite movement.
    Last edited by HCM; 12-28-2020 at 08:45 PM.

Having built 6 type of IED circuits myself, they're not terribly hard provided competent instruction on how/why stuff works. I could build a simple victim-initiated IED from memory without much worry....a command initiated or timer initiated I'd be less confident in building a good one, and it'd certainly take a lot of practice runs before I felt comfortable building it "live".

Most of the IEDs employed in GWOT were made by people with zero training/background using instructions in newsletters, hence why it wasn't uncommon for random Jihad Johnny houses to go boom on accident (same with domestic terrorists, see lower Manhattan/Weather Underground).

With the bomber's apparent background, IED circuity would be pretty simple for him.

Especially so, given the NAEMT TCCC/TECC for medical providers isn't "first aid". It's an ALS level certification course going over fluid resuscitation, drug administration, emergency airways, etc.

I would think that you could get CEUs from it, though I never looked into that from the RN perspective.

ETA: Now you're getting me all excited for training next week. My PA and I are going to do a dry-run of our blood transfusion plan, we've been diving into THOR with vigor
    Last edited by TGS; 12-28-2020 at 08:05 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    In industrial settings you learn that lots of things want to blow up, the hard part is stopping them.
    Amen to that! About 2 years ago I spent a good part of the year demo'ing out a clothing printing factory. It was the most comprehensive gathering of explosion-proof lighting and switches I've come across to date. I stripped them all and bought them as scrap...when / if I get some slow time, I probably have $20k worth of that stuff to clean up and resell, and that's figuring them going for pennies on the dollar compared to their new costs. A dual-tube explosion-proof fluorescent light fixture goes for $1k-$3k new depending on brand and where you buy. I think I have 50 of them here? Or so. Plus piles of related switches, j-boxes, a big breaker box or two....it's really pretty cool stuff, has a real art-deco look to it.

Take: CPR and Stop the Bleed. 90% solution to stuff you can do stuff about.
    Next option: TCCC/TECC, NOLS Wilderness First Aid
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

You can hardly find classes because of covid. North American Rescue has videos.
    https://www.narescue.com/education/e..._store=default
    They also offer Substantial discounts to multiple groups. Vets police medical etc etc.
    I use HSA to buy mine.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

User Tag List