Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Explosion in Nashville, TN

Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    True. I’d even say it’s a superhighway interchange.

But to continue your analogy, if this is the best they can do they are going the wrong way down a one way street.

This person or group shows a fair level of sophistication for a domestic incident. The complexity of the device itself, including the creepy announcement, shows a fairly high level of technical capability compared to the average attempt. But IMO it’s clear from the limited images of the blast site that there are mountains of evidence producing material and that they either underestimated our abilities or don’t plan to live long. I spent 10 years working CIED from the national policy level to the streets of Ass-crackistan. You have a better chance of getting away with a bank robbery than placing a device like this in an domestic urban center.
    I’m quoting, because “liking” doesn’t express enough like.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I'm sticking to my rule about these kind of incidents- 24hrs for all the "what happened" to roll in, and another few days before the "who and why".

And I don't discount the possibility that "my side" just might be behind it.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    True. I’d even say it’s a superhighway interchange.

But to continue your analogy, if this is the best they can do they are going the wrong way down a one way street.

This person or group shows a fair level of sophistication for a domestic incident. The complexity of the device itself, including the creepy announcement, shows a fairly high level of technical capability compared to the average attempt. But IMO it’s clear from the limited images of the blast site that there are mountains of evidence producing material and that they either underestimated our abilities or don’t plan to live long. I spent 10 years working CIED from the national policy level to the streets of Ass-crackistan. You have a better chance of getting away with a bank robbery than placing a device like this in an domestic urban center.
    I'm well aware of the capabilities, but keep in mind some of those capabilities are not available in a CONUS LE setting under normal circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I'm well aware of the capabilities, but keep in mind some of those capabilities are not available in a CONUS LE setting under normal circumstances.
    Does the FBI/ATF have access to the capabilities? Genuinely curious as I know nothing about this stuff

I might eat my words on this, but this is my lane.

This isn't really an efficient way to disrupt the wider communications network vs some alternate targets in the area. I suspect my AT&T counterparts are having a bad day but this isn't going to bring down "the internet". I won't elaborate but there are other places within a few minutes drive that would be better for that.

Possibly ruining AT&T's vacations specifically is the target.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    Does the FBI/ATF have access to the capabilities? Genuinely curious as I know nothing about this stuff
    Do some open source searches on how IEDs and IED makers were traced in Iraq and then think about what parts of that would require legal process or be usable in a courtroom CONUS vs what is technically possible.

I'm not against any of it for .MIL use, there is no reason for the .MIL not to have every advantage OCONUS.

That's as much as needs to be discussed on an open forum.

Besides, a lot can be accomplished CONUS via old school cop "grind" type investigation - that's how the Austin bomber was identified.

Site Supporter
    If this was posted upthread, I missed it, but FAA halts flights at Nashville:
    https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyl...sive-explosion

Lots of carbon visible after the explosion. Doesn’t appear to be any damage to the street at all. Gas bomb?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

The AP is reporting on Twitter that human remains have been located in the debris.

https://twitter.com/@twitter/status/1342595801541976065

Apparently has disrupted 911/EMS services in parts of Tn, Ky, and Alabama.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Tag List