Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Using an AR in .22 as part of a training program

Using an AR in .22 as part of a training program

The year I shot PCC in USPSA, I found that the carbine helped my eye speed with pistols. Since then, I have shot Carry Optics in USPSA and the PCC just occasionally as a second gun in Steel Challenge. With 9mm so scarce in 2020, my PCC shooting has pretty much ceased.

Another forum member, Talionis, just told me that he believes that regular shooting with a Tippman .22 AR was behind an excellent finish in CO at a USPSA area match this year. I decided to try incorporating a .22 AR into regular USPSA pistol practice sessions, to improve eye speed and help maintain carbine proficiency. The plan is to arrive with four loaded 25 round magazines, and shoot them some time during my pistol session. Will try this for a month or so and then evaluate whether to continue.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have a 15-22 pistol on hold ‘cause it’s fun and for my kids. Personally, I’ve sold 2 other 15-22’s in the past as I found them to be of little value in developing carbine skills. Frankly, I prefer dryfire and get more out of that than actually shooting a .22 AR. Sight/target acquisition, reloads, transitions, malf clearance, positions, etc can all be done well dry.

From a gaming perspective, I did find some value in using the .22 for multiple target array transitions.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I also shot my MPX today and didn’t notice much difference between it and the .22 AR when shooting USPSA target arrays.

The biggest problem with the 15-22 for me is weight. The factory rifle is so light you can swing it onto a target as quick as possible and still stop on a dime. Adding a heavier stock(EMod) and a piece of black iron pipe under the handguard helped immensely.

My number one goal was to see whether shooting the .22 AR at faster speeds on USPSA target arrays can speed up my pistol speed. Thinking about this, I decided to start my pistol practice with the .22 AR to try to influence my pistol shooting that followed.

These are my first two arrays upon each it the range.

I followed it up with two more of these arrays, and then went to my CO pistol. Sure enough, I immediately felt more impatient, and it translated into faster shooting. Definitely will be playing with this more.

The M&P 15-22 I have is an older one, and it seems like it become unreliable as it heats up. Not sure whether the greater weight of a Tippman would be better, or the lighter M&P, but I mostly want something that is reliable.

You mentioned returning your pistol M&P 15-22 to S&W for warranty, so which Tippman did you order & what about optic selection for any of these?

Quote Originally Posted by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor View Post
    You mentioned returning your pistol M&P 15-22 to S&W for warranty, so which Tippman did you order & what about optic selection for any of these?
    I am still trying to sort out hardware and have Tippman and S&W models inbound to see what I think. I have been using a SRO 5 moa since that is my most common pistol optic.

Right now they seem to be vaporware, but have you considered trying the Nelson Precision slide for a G44 to use a rimfire pistol? Wouldn't the lack of recoil and lighter weight equal faster transitions and give you that feeling of impatience you mentioned when using your regular pistol?

https://www.nelsonprecisionmfg.com/p...em-style-slide

Article: https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...ck-44-pistols/

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Right now they seem to be vaporware, but have you considered trying the Nelson Precision slide for a G44 to use a rimfire pistol? Wouldn't the lack of recoil and lighter weight equal faster transitions and give you that feeling of impatience you mentioned when using your regular pistol?

https://www.nelsonprecisionmfg.com/p...em-style-slide

Article: https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...ck-44-pistols/
    I have been using a Glock 44 for iron sight proficiency, but it does not do for me what the carbine does, as I shoot my CO pistol faster than the 44.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    It will be interesting to see where this thread goes. I’ll add my opinions/experience.

10 years ago I built up a trainer AR with a dedicated upper to use as a training rifle when I had enough time to shoot a bunch and wanted to save cost.

My findings were mixed. First the weight and feel of the rifle was not a problem and was a good analog for full caliber rifle. Manual of arms was a mixed bag. The basic functions were a good analog but it was not a good trainer for rapid mag reloads due to the magazines. I tried to use the CMMG magazines and adapter that would allow for proper bold hold open function, but it proved to be far to unreliable to provide any positive training.

One thing that I noticed was that after spending a lot of time with the trainer rifle I would immediately be quite startled by the blast when switching over to 556. It would take a few rounds for me to get used to the blast again. I will admit that I am more sensitive to blast/recoil than the average person so it might not be an issue for most.

The biggest issue I had was with reliability when was more a function of my particular gun than the concept. In the end, after having my first kid my time available for range training quickly evaporated and I decided it was better to forgo the 22 trainer and shoot full caliber ammo with the limited range time I had.

The recent events have had me to revisit using my 22 AR as a training gun as who knows how long it will be before we see affordable and available 556/223 again. I *think - knock on wood* I have finally gotten it to run well and can use it in drills that do not require rapid magazine changes.

User Tag List