Thread: Small rifle magnum primer question

Small rifle magnum primer question

I have several thousand CCI No. 450 mag small rifle primers. When I bought those I didn't realize they were magnum primers. I'm loading 55-62 grn bullets using .223 data and AR Comp powder. I recently switched to Win 748 because AR Comp disappeared but still have a few pounds of Comp left that I will load.

My Hornady manual never mentions 450 mag primers in any of the load data, but my Speer manual does for Win 748 and a few others. Is that because it's ball powder and not stick? Will there be a problem if I use those mag primers with AR Comp being a stick powder?

I might be over thinking this but would like some opinions.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

You should have no problems. If anything the mag cup will be less likely to suffer a slam fire.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

If the data calls for standard SR, then you might drop the charge a little bit. I exclusively use SRMs in 6.5 Creed for accuracy. When I finally run out of regulars, I'll probably use them in .223 as well just to cut down on supply.

Allegedly, CCIs #41 primer is a "desensitized" CCI 450 primer. By desensitized, the legs of the primer anvil are slightly shorter than the 450s to reduce the potential for slam fires. This link will get you started on the trail to validate this statement, I've seen other references to it, but after following the trail on the subject for awhile I was ready to concede the point. I believe the original article that covered this was by John Barsness in Handloader some years back. See what you think, if true you should be able to use #41 primer data.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting...native.191818/

They will be fine in an AR but may be a little thick for the firing pin in some bolt actions.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Thanks all. I'm using them in a bolt rifle and a Mini 14. Sounds like it will work.

I hate having to change powders and primers.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Why does CCI make small rifle magnum primers? The only data I found using them was .222 Magnum.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Why does CCI make small rifle magnum primers? The only data I found using them was .222 Magnum.
    They are super popular with the Benchrest and PRS crowd. I use them in 6X47 Lapua and 6BR, and in recent years Lapua and some others have introduced small pocket brass in calibers like 6.5 Creedmoor.

There are several good reasons to use small primers. They provide low standard deviation and the web of the brass is stronger than brass with large primer pockets, allowing for higher pressures and longer brass life.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    I use CCI450s all the time in AR loads. As stated earlier they seem to be "the" primer for PRS small rifle primer applications. Interesting drift - as CCI450s seem hard to get right now, multiple PRS competitors stating they may use LRP based cartridges in 2021 such as 6XC, 6mm Creedmoor, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    They are super popular with the Benchrest and PRS crowd. I use them in 6X47 Lapua and 6BR, and in recent years Lapua and some others have introduced small pocket brass in calibers like 6.5 Creedmoor.

There are several good reasons to use small primers. They provide low standard deviation and the web of the brass is stronger than brass with large primer pockets, allowing for higher pressures and longer brass life.
    I learn something every day.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List