Thread: Extra-Small Powder Bar for Dillon 550

Site Supporter

Extra-Small Powder Bar for Dillon 550

I'm thinking about getting one of these since the majority of my loads are in the 4.5-6 grains of BE-86 range. Has anyone tried this with low-volume loads, and if so, was there a benefit?

Are you having issues with the standard small bar?

I loaded 3.8 grains of Clays for many years on a Dillon 550 with a small bar and never had an issue.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    I use the small charge bar with be-86 with no problems. I installed the unique tech micro meter when I setup my press.

I don't know the relative density of BE86 but I am loading as little as 3.1 grains real Bullseye with the standard pistol bar.
    3.4 grains HP38 likewise.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    I wasn't having problems, just wondering if there was an improvement in metering. I've loaded lots of .38 wadcutter with 2.8 grains of Bullseye with no problem.

I've also not found a reason to buy the smallest bar with my Dillons... going down to ~3 grains or so in some 147gr 9mm loads. I think it is mostly intended for sub 3 grain loads in things like .32 ACP etc.

Have no issue loading 3.3grs HP38 for 147gr Xtreme RN plated, nor any issue loading 3.5 grs of the same powder for 158gr 38 spl lead loads.

User Tag List