Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: One hand recoil control

I heard this explanation at a class with Tim and found it compelling. Haven't had a chance to really work on this outside of class but I did notice an improvement in how the gun returned to target during the class.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyesquared View Post

I heard this explanation at a class with Tim and found it compelling. Haven't had a chance to really work on this outside of class but I did notice an improvement in how the gun returned to target during the class.
    Stepping *completely* away from shooting for a sec, I do not believe that the above method is conducive to the long term health of your thumb.

Although it may well help stabilze a pistol.

I say this not as a shooter, but as a person that teaches people how to use their hands for complex tasks while concomitantly avoiding injury from repetitive motion.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

That's interesting. I do flag my thumb to stabilize the gun (but don't pinch inward). See this post for example. Admittedly I don't shoot as much SHO and WHO as I should, but my thumbs haven't felt any strain. What is your concern about this technique?

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Stepping *completely* away from shooting for a sec, I do not believe that the above method is conducive to the long term health of your thumb.

Although it may well help stabilze a pistol.

I say this not as a shooter, but as a person that teaches people how to use their hands for complex tasks while concomitantly avoiding injury from repetitive motion.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    That's interesting. I do flag my thumb to stabilize the gun (but don't pinch inward). See this post for example. Admittedly I don't shoot as much SHO and WHO as I should, but my thumbs haven't felt any strain. What is your concern about this technique?
    Flagging without sideways pressure (up, using the abductor pollicis longus) is different than using the first dorsal interosseous to try and retain/absorb shock from a recoiling gun using pressure from the dorsal side of the thumb.

In plain english, the thumb isn’t designed to apply force backwards, away from the palm and across the back of the hand. Flagging, or cocking the thumb up using the longer tendons/extensors in the back of the distal forearm isn’t all that robust either, relatively speaking, but it’s strong enough to provide structure. Ultimately, the thumb is designed to flex towards the palm, and for opposition (go figure). Like gripping a revolver stock.

Pushing the MCP joint forward and around the left edge of the backstrap (assuming right hand only) onto the grip (towards the target) uses flexion mechanics and the thenar eminence group, which is how the thumb is designed to lock into the hand/oppose the fingers/apply considerable pressure.

Now, none of this is to say that the guy in the video couldn’t shoot rings around me SHO or WHO; nor is this medical advice. I’m a musician, not a doctor. I’m sure there is a hand surgeon on, or friendly to, P-F who can elucidate further. All I’m saying is that if one uses the “abduction pinch” mentioned in the above video, just make sure you have the constitution to handle the long-term abuse, so you don’t become an old guy hanging around forums talking about how years of shooting 1911s has fucked up your thumb.

Again, my anatomy knowledge, such as it is, starts at the wrists, and goes out away from the body from there, by way of both vocation and avocation. So caveat emptor.

But that’s an anatomically fucked up way to use the hand, in the abstract. Might work, though, while it holds up.

I prefer the direction that Seeklander (also a FAM dude) is heading, further upthread.

JMO.

I
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

One hand recoil control

@Totem Polar, awesome explanation. That makes good sense. Pistol-Forum never ceases to amaze.

When I flag my thumb, there isn’t much tension. It’s sort of a shape change, not a grasping action. Also, unlike some people recommend, I don’t grip the gun that hard, but focus on wrist lock.

Matt’s take was practically opposite: more upright stance, same nose over toes and upright head posture as in two-hand shooting, but with the elbow bent, and the sights canted outward.
    Interesting. Can you expand on the sight cant? Feels weird on the wrist.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Interesting. Can you expand on the sight cant? Feels weird on the wrist.
    Exactly as Seeklander advocates, except that Seeklander keeps the gun in place and drops his elbow behind the gun—which necessarily changes the elbow/wrist alignment slightly (since the elbow moves but the wrist that’s connected to the gun doesn’t).

If you do exactly what Mike recommends, but keep the wrist fixed, you will end up with the top of the slide angling slightly out 5-10 degrees (max). Make sense?

It feels weird, but there’s no fighting the gun—it tracks straight up.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    @Totem Polar, awesome explanation. That makes good sense. Pistol-Forum never ceases to amaze.

When I flag my thumb, there isn’t much tension. It’s sort of a shape change, not a grasping action. Also, unlike some people recommend, I don’t grip the gun that hard, but focus on wrist lock.
    I don’t see anything in your skeletal alignment that would cause me to comment in a music lesson.

Looks like you have some serious sympathetic flagging in your off hand, unless there’s a really weird photographic effect going on.

Also looks like the slide energy is going directly down the long bones of your forearm—which I would consider good.

When shooting SHO, I do flag my thumb and place slight inward pressure against the gun. However, I think of it more as positional than muscular.

From the web: "The abductor pollicis brevis pulls the thumb away from the index finger", which I am definitely doing via a "thumbs up" action. For me, it prevents twisting and stabilises my grip.
    Taking a break from social media.

One hand recoil control

I don’t see anything in your skeletal alignment that would cause me to comment in a music lesson.

Looks like you have some serious sympathetic flagging in your off hand, unless there’s a really weird photographic effect going on.

Also looks like the slide energy is going directly down the long bones of your forearm—which I would consider good.
    LOL! I saw that in the video also. I think it must have been from visualization of the second string, which had WHO. Subconscious CF was getting ready for the next thing. Ideally I would not have that excess tension.

User Tag List