Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: One hand recoil control

Quote Originally Posted by cracker View Post
    loknlod,
    that's right my recoil is doing the opposite of what it should, it is not recoiling toward the missing support but to the right of the target. this is at its worse shooting my M&P 40 compact.
    Gotcha. That is odd...

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think the primary consideration shooting one hand is trigger control, not recoil control.
    I agree, and I wonder if you're trying too hard to control it, and it's causing you to impart some odd directional forces on the gun. Maybe try loading the gun with a single round (in case you drop it) and holding it absolutely as lightly as possible to fire a round. Some slow-mo video (pretty easy to get with an iphone these days) and maybe even the Coach's Eye app would tell you a lot i bet. How's the recoil cycle when you shoot 2-handed?
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

HAD to shoot SHO for the reason I explain in the video.

Technique is simple, GRIP it like someone was going to steal it and work the trigger.
    I DO rotate the gun "inboard" and run my gun hand foot forward, as both improve how much
    energy I can put into the gun, thus reducing recovery from recoil.

Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

One hand shooting is by definition “abnormal,”....
    Brian Zins of course has a different take!

"After all it is a handgun, not a handsgun." (25 seconds into the video)

Quote Originally Posted by gomerpyle View Post
    Brian Zins of course has a different take!

"After all it is a handgun, not a handsgun." (25 seconds into the video)

I was using “abnormal” as used in flight manuals — there are normal procedures, abnormal procedures, and emergency procedures. Having been to the Rogers School numerous times, I have a great appreciation for what can be done with one hand, but there is a reason we try to shoot with two hands when possible.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Having been to the Rogers School numerous times, I have a great appreciation for what can be done with one hand, but there is a reason we try to shoot with two hands when possible.
    Completely agree. I was just saying in jest

Mason Lane set the benchmark for what can be done with one handed shooting.https://www.instagram.com/p/B3AvEemA_Ur/

One hand shooting is by definition “abnormal,” so it seems like you need to be able to shoot it no matter what position your feet are in. I think the primary consideration shooting one hand is trigger control, not recoil control.
    That point about feet position is a point KB has emphasized to me also. So I’ve stopped always setting up same side foot forward and randomized stance. And + 1 re trigger control supremacy.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    That point about feet position is a point KB has emphasized to me also. So I’ve stopped always setting up same side foot forward and randomized stance. And + 1 re trigger control supremacy.
    Most of the big misses I see when people shoot SHO/WHO aren’t from bad trigger control. It’s usually pre-ignition push from mis-timing the gun or trying to control recoil.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Most of the big misses I see when people shoot SHO/WHO aren’t from bad trigger control. It’s usually pre-ignition push from mis-timing the gun or trying to control recoil.
    You have hitting coach eyes I’m sure. I was amazed how much pro hitting coaches could see in my elder lads swing that dad coach me could not. 😉
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    You have hitting coach eyes I’m sure. I was amazed how much pro hitting coaches could see in my elder lads swing that dad coach me could not. 😉
    Maybe, but there's only so much you can do with a bad trigger pull. When the POI is a foot or more off at 10yds, down right (or left) that's probably from pushing down on the gun.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

An anecdote: I was taking a weekend class with former FAM/Agency green-badger Matt Graham, when we got to the one handed modules. I was, up to that point, an advocate of Ayoob’s stressfire punch approach; aggressive, karate-esque forward stance, support hand pulled back, etc. This technique tends to favor a bit of inward canting of the sight plane, as well, eg.:

Being a dan holder in Okinawan Goju-Ryu, I was comfortable with this approach.

Matt’s take was practically opposite: more upright stance, same nose over toes and upright head posture as in two-hand shooting, but with the elbow bent, and the sights canted outward.

Matt is necessarily very good at reading people, and he quickly noted—looking at me—that we might find it hard to believe, but that we’d see. On the way back to the line, Matt says to me “I want you to fire the first 3 shots your way, and the next 3 the way I just showed you.”

So the drill starts, and I’m in zenkutsu-dachi for shots 1-3, and the gun is tracking slightly up and to the left (I’m right handed, btw), per normal, but not much, because I’m all structured up. So I then stand upright, and let my arm bend and the gun roll out the other way, almost as if I’m holding a baby Hamster in my palm. I’m thinking “this is effete as fuck; nothing feels right about this...” but shots 4-6 happen faster, as the gun tracks straight up, and then falls right back where it was during trigger press. I hear Matt’s voice come in through the electronic muffs, with a single word: “Right?” And he’s already gone and working with the next student on the line by the time I can turn my head to make eye contact.

Matt is a buddy, and he knew he could teach me best by giving me a little shit, and the point was made. It shouldn’t work, but it does.

Add in making sure that the medial joint of the thumb (where it appears to connect with the side of the hand, at the web) is forward of the backstrap edge to mitigate the energy drain out the thumb/support side, and you have a surprisingly effective method for directing a handgun one-handed.

I wouldn’t say it was a life-changing event, like a civilian attending their first ECQC, but it was absolutely an event that changed my shooting.

JME.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List