Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: One hand recoil control

Post One hand recoil control

When shooting SHO (right handed) my pistol recoils at what i would guess to be close to a 45% angle to the right and up of course, WHO not so much, more straight up with the weak hand. weak hand is much more accurate, whats your ideas as to why the 45% recoil with the strong hand.
    Thanks for your input.

Clarifying question: When shooting right handed only, as a right handed shooter, the gun recoils up and to the right? The gun is moving both up and toward your hand?
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

One hand recoil control

When you take away one supporting hand, the gun typically recoils toward the missing support. Right hand only: recoil to the left. Left hand only: recoil to the right.

My approach to SHO and WHO shooting is to focus on fundamentals. Unless the targets are easy, I shoot each shot with good visual confirmation, and wait for the entire recoil process to finish. The gun wobbles all over the place, and that seems weird, but it doesn't really matter.

I used to angle the gun (for recoil control), but now just keep the sights vertical. I flag my thumb, and that helps make the recoil cycle more vertical.

Transitions can be a challenge SHO/WHO, and that's worth exploring and practicing dry and live.

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 12-24-2020 at 11:40 AM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Flagging my thumb (sticking it straight up) was a game changer for me with Glocks. I don’t seem to need it with 1911s.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Good tips in the thread. I seem to recall being told in one class, shooting 1 handed, to put my shooting side foot forward and put weight on my knee?

One hand recoil control

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Good tips in the thread. I seem to recall being told in one class, shooting 1 handed, to put my shooting side foot forward and put weight on my knee?
    Tom Givens demonstrates putting your matching foot forward and leaning pretty aggressively into the gun when shooting with one hand. It definitely helps control the gun, at least for me.

https://youtu.be/v_GUYgKJOrs

loknlod,
    that's right my recoil is doing the opposite of what it should, it is not recoiling toward the missing support but to the right of the target. this is at its worse shooting my M&P 40 compact.

I like Seeklander's approach to one hand shooting. The two most important things that improved my SHO/WHO shooting were getting the elbow behind the gun and ingraining the technique through a lot of dryfire. The gun recoilds straight up and down for myself, that was not always the case when I let my elbow chicken wing a little.

One hand shooting is by definition “abnormal,” so it seems like you need to be able to shoot it no matter what position your feet are in. I think the primary consideration shooting one hand is trigger control, not recoil control.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List