Thread: New rules for warrantless searches of vehicles in PA

New rules for warrantless searches of vehicles in PA

PA Supreme Court rules that state constitution grants more protection that the US 4th Amendment.

Police must have probable cause as well as “exigent circumstances” in order to legally search a vehicle without a warrant, a divided Pennsylvania Supreme Court ruled Tuesday.
    I’m actually surprised it has taken this long to see a ruling like this. Warrants are a lot easier to get now then back in the 1920’s when SCOTUS came up with the Carroll Doctrine. I wonder when other states will jump on the bandwagon. The really surprising thing is this didn’t come from the left coast.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cumberl...c571c.amp.html
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    PA Supreme Court rules that state constitution grants more protection that the US 4th Amendment.

I’m actually surprised it has taken this long to see a ruling like this. Warrants are a lot easier to get now then back in the 1920’s when SCOTUS came up with the Carroll Doctrine. I wonder when other states will jump on the bandwagon. The really surprising thing is this didn’t come from the left coast.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cumberl...c571c.amp.html

There are already other states that do this, New Mexico being one. And maybe New Jersey? Can’t remember.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    There are already other states that do this, New Mexico being one. And maybe New Jersey? Can’t remember.
    Huh. I didn’t know that. Learn something every day. Thanks.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Huh. I didn’t know that. Learn something every day. Thanks.
    Now that I think about it, I believe NM and NJ require a search warrant when PC is based on a K9 alert. I’ll have to research it again.

Site Supporter
    The really surprising thing is this didn’t come from the left coast.
    Here is an article on a Washington vehicle search case from 2012. I'm pretty sure there have been some additional cases since then along the same theme.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...icle-searches/

Vermont also does not recognize the Carroll Doctrine. Consent or a warrant are your options to search a vehicle.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Vermont also does not recognize the Carroll Doctrine. Consent or a warrant are your options to search a vehicle.
    Same in Montana.
    For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4 KJV

Site Supporter
    Truth be told, I always assumed that probable cause was always a requirement for a Carroll Doctrine vehicle search or pretty much any other search (consent, border, and so forth excluded).

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    Truth be told, I always assumed that probable cause was always a requirement for a Carroll Doctrine vehicle search or pretty much any other search (consent, border, and so forth excluded).
    It does, but I think that the Supreme Court over the years has been back and forth on just what in the car can be searched - at one point closed containers were not allowed to be searched, then they were, and so on.

Remember, Carroll was a prohibition case, and the Court's desires as to what they want to allow has changed.

Some states probably just wanted create a bright line.

User Tag List