Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ()$(_+_% Stun Guns!

Site Supporter

()$(_+_% Stun Guns!

So, there is an aggressive panhandler in our area that is frightening women. Supposedly, the law picks him up and let's him go. The Nextdoor group is all upset. Thus, some self-defense dood is selling stun guns to put in your purse. Yep, the old sparky that you would have to dig out of your purse because they will 'disable' an attacker.

Of course, Dr. Big Mouth (me - hey, mentioning my degree!) has to say that this is bullshit. Don't do this. Get an OC, learn how to use it, take a legit H2H class - not Some Dood Dojo of Doom. Some Dood is incensed and wants me to come and try it. Kind of like the old, Well, would you stand in front of 25 ACP?

Bah, yeah, I've been electrified with those in a class or two, oh, hum, ouch. I explain it. I've been at gun shows with friends and their wives and the latter get all excited by seeing the arc. They think they will drop you dead like on the TV or movies.

Bah. Didn't mention a Glock as that might frighten the horses.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 12-23-2020 at 11:12 AM.

Some of those "stun guns' are literally sex toys. Ask Sumdood if he wants to drive the bum away or give him a happy ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    So, there is an aggressive panhandler in our area that is frightening women. Supposedly, the law picks him up and let's him go. The Nextdoor group is all upset. Thus, some self-defense dood is selling stun guns to put in your purse. Yep, the old sparky that you would have to dig out of your purse because they will 'disable' an attacker.

Of course, Dr. Big Mouth (me - hey, mentioning my degree!) has to say that this is bullshit. Don't do this. Get an OC, learn how to use it, take a legit H2H class - not Some Dood Dojo of Doom. Some Dood is incensed and wants me to come and try it. Kind of like the old, Well, would you stand in front of 25 ACP?

Bah, yeah, I've been electrified with those in a class or two, oh, hum, ouch. I explain it. I've been at gun shows with friends and their wives and the latter get all excited by seeing the arc. They think they will drop you dead like on the TV or movies.

Bah. Didn't mention a Glock as that might frighten the horses.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Well, if SD is insistent upon this “come and try it” attitude, you could tell him that you’ll show up with spray in a pocket, and he can start with his zapper in a purse, and go from there.

Failing that, offer to take a zap from him if he’ll take a spray from you.

Once, to make a point, I held one of those zappers on my leg, turned it on and counted out loud to five.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post

Failing that, offer to take a zap from him if he’ll take a spray from you.
    Or a couple of beanbag rounds, if he’s allergic to capsicum.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Haha. How about my SIRT Glock and trainer Spyderco? No, I said my piece and folks can take it or leave it. In my youth, I did some H2H and we did stun guns, big deal, yawn. Since I just turned 73 and an old fart, I will just offer advice. My last foray into such, I screwed up my hand. It swelled up, I had to go to urgent care, the orthopedic hand dr. dood, wear a contraption on my hand and go to physical therapy for a bit. My wife would brain me if I offer to fight someone, haha.

A better test would be for one his students to try to get out the stun gun and block against the training knife.

I've actually used a stun gun for bug bites- including a wire and plate to pass the current through the limb instead of on the surface.

It was about the same as the zappy thingy they plugged me into during knee surgery rehab.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    I was involved in my agency's Explorer program when I was a young puppy cop (and former Explorer). Another former-Explorer working for an allied agency was part of a test project for "The Source". The Source was a fairly bright (for the early eighties) full-size plastic flashlight with a "stun gun" in the tail. The light was designed to be used for wristlocks and takedowns. My colleague was giving a class on the Source to an Explorer meeting when an off-duty officer wandered in. Spike listened to the presentation, picked up the Source, and began experimenting with it. He sparked it a couple time, then applied and reapplied it to his wrist. After that had no effect, he then sparked it against his bald head, exclaiming "This is a piece of junk,kids!" Completely destroyed the credibility of the class.

Much later, Frank Repass zapped various officers on the line as we attempted a course of fire during a Streamlight class at an IALEFI RTC.

I suspect these devices have some utility in defensive tactics, but as discussed regarding the Taser, one needs to prepare for failure. I'd also remark that there is probably no real testing of these products as there has been of the Taser and various OC products.

Site Supporter
    I was also thinking that in my environment folks wear pretty heavy clothing. That might interfere with even the minimal impact of these pieces of crap. Sum Dood has not answered my analysis. My wife and daughter both laughed at finding it in your purse in real time. Same comment I made for a friend who SD techinque was for his wife to carry a Taurus 85 in her purse and hand it to him when the zombies lurch forward. Gave him a whole bunch of info on female carry techniques. At least, I got him to have her ditch the Taurus for a G42.

Site Supporter
    About the only utility I see in a stun gun is as a device you can use in training knife defense. One dude has the stun gun, the other dude doesn't want to get zapped. Put them on a mat and let them fight for it.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Being an old man, I would not desire having to get that close to an attacker in order to use a stun gun. But I will say this about shocking devices. I have seen cattle prods used on people. They bring about immediate compliance. When someone refuses to exit the back of a patrol car at the jail, a cattle prod will make the dude jump out. They were known as "hot shots". Before anyone asks me if I would have want that done to me, I will say no, of course not. But I got enough sense to get out of the damn car. I liked the electric chair too but never wanted to sit in one for real.

User Tag List