Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A New Shank for Ms. Okie

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Just the liner lock. She's fine with the Axis lock.

Okie John
    How about a Delica? Girl #1 loves hers and uses it constantly.

https://www.knifecenter.com/series/s...pyderco-delica
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

If she is set on a folder that doesn’t lock I’d go the Monterey Knives EWC. Absolutely beautiful flipper that is a slip joint.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

I need a non-locking CRKT M-16 or the equivalent. Price is not really a consideration: buy once, cry once, etc.
    Confused...she wants a non-locking knife, but the Axis lock on the Mini Bugout is ok?

If the Mini Bugout is too bulky (6.49" open, 1.5 oz, handle thickness 0.412"), and a compression lock is ok, I'd second a Spyderco Dragonfly 2 (5.6" open, 1.2 oz, 0.340" handle thickness). It's been my primary EDC knife for quite a while now.

Another good choice would be the SOG Flash II with the Arc lock. They are reasonably priced and well made.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Sounds like it’s a work thing, no locking knives.
    That's a thing in the UK but I've never heard of it in the states.

(PS If I'm following correctly it's only Liner locks herself objects to, not locking knives in general.)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    How about a Delica? Girl #1 loves hers and uses it constantly.

https://www.knifecenter.com/series/s...pyderco-delica
    + for spyderco.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Spyderco Sage 5 compression lock:

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyder...on-Lock--36444

https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Fold.../dp/B0888TM228

I gave this to my MIL for her birthday, and she loves it. I usually carry a Sage 2, but that one is a titanium frame lock and discontinued.
    I appreciate KnifeCenter because they say where stuff is made. That matters to me a lot, particularly with knives.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP1...ck-frn-handles

Okie John
    Frame lock too weird? Seems like a good excuse to pick up a Sebenza.

Site Supporter
    Years ago, I gave Ms. Okie her current EDC blade: a CRKT Kit Carson M-16 with a 3” unserrated, black spear-point blade. She loves the all-steel construction, ease of opening, shape, size, etc., but the liner lock makes it a giant NO GO at her station.

About a year ago, she discovered my Benchmade 940. She likes its Axis lock and heft but it’s too bulky or she would have gladly made off with my spare. I got her a Benchmade Mini Bugout for its Axis lock and slightly slimmer profile, but again, NO GO—too bulky.

A few minutes ago, I showed her a slip-joint Buck. She liked it but then she literally held up her CRKT M-16, sang its praises, and cursed the liner lock—again.

Teaching her to love the liner lock is a complete fucking impossibility: she’s an Irish Catholic RN O-6 with 29 years of service, so she’s used to bending reality to her wishes. She’s a lot like Chuck Norris in that respect.

I need a non-locking CRKT M-16 or the equivalent. Price is not really a consideration: buy once, cry once, etc.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Okie John
    To clarify, her objection is solely towards liner locks, not locking knives in general ?

Is her objection to the liner lock having the fingers in line with the folding blade when unlocking / closing ?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    To clarify, her objection is solely towards liner locks, not locking knives in general ?

Is her objection to the liner lock having the fingers in line with the folding blade when unlocking / closing ?
    Locking knives are fine as long as they're not liner locks. She finds them hard to use and doesn't like having her finger in the way of the blade. She has repeatedly said that she likes everything about the Carson M-16 except for the liner lock.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List