Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A New Shank for Ms. Okie

A New Shank for Ms. Okie

Years ago, I gave Ms. Okie her current EDC blade: a CRKT Kit Carson M-16 with a 3” unserrated, black spear-point blade. She loves the all-steel construction, ease of opening, shape, size, etc., but the liner lock makes it a giant NO GO at her station.

About a year ago, she discovered my Benchmade 940. She likes its Axis lock and heft but it’s too bulky or she would have gladly made off with my spare. I got her a Benchmade Mini Bugout for its Axis lock and slightly slimmer profile, but again, NO GO—too bulky.

A few minutes ago, I showed her a slip-joint Buck. She liked it but then she literally held up her CRKT M-16, sang its praises, and cursed the liner lock—again.

Teaching her to love the liner lock is a complete fucking impossibility: she’s an Irish Catholic RN O-6 with 29 years of service, so she’s used to bending reality to her wishes. She’s a lot like Chuck Norris in that respect.

I need a non-locking CRKT M-16 or the equivalent. Price is not really a consideration: buy once, cry once, etc.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Initial thought: does anyone make aftermarket slim scales for the Benchmades? The mini versions of the griptillian and barrage have been around for awhile.

EDIT: found this, not a drastic size change but .1”ish may be something? They even have the bug out option.

https://appliedweaponstech.com/produ...ilian-grip-kit
    Last edited by PNWTO; 12-23-2020 at 01:16 AM.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Site Supporter
    Spyderco Sage 5 compression lock:

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyder...on-Lock--36444

https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Fold.../dp/B0888TM228

I gave this to my MIL for her birthday, and she loves it. I usually carry a Sage 2, but that one is a titanium frame lock and discontinued.

Hmm...don't have a CRKT to compare to. Is a back lock ok? Lots of Spyderco options if so...Dragonfly II is my go-to if avoiding bulk is the key consideration, and there are a lot of different configurations/steels available. Blade length would be shorter than she is used to, though. Depending on which dimension is the key consideration, the Chaparral might be an option--it's pretty thin and light, but a bit wide. Also has different handle material options.

That's a tough one @okie john. Kit Carson was a dear friend of mine and the maker of my first custom knife. I was with him when he announced his joint venture with CRKT at the Blade Show.

I can't think of a non-locking knife design I've ever seen from him, but I may be misremembering. All were frame locks, back locks or liner locks.

In a modern folder, something small and non locking would be this from Spyderco.

ETA:

I know nothing about this particular knife but it may be of interest in terms of non locking and blade shape / design. It gets good reviews, the price is right, and it's a KnifeCenter exclusive.

Last edited by blues; 12-23-2020 at 10:19 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Does she dislike locks in general or liner locks in particular?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    O-6 with 29 years of service
    Suicide mission, but here's all I can do in support.

I don't know a thing about this maker, but it's a metal slipjoint. I think you're looking for something like it. https://www.arizonacustomknives.com/products/405301/
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Benchmade mini Emissary or the 485 Valet sound like a good fit for her.

They are petite but well made

https://www.ebay.com/p/1637919603
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Sounds like it’s a work thing, no locking knives.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Just the liner lock. She's fine with the Axis lock.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List