Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Oregon Capitol Incident 12-21-20

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    While I agree with you, I’m not at all surprised. A whole segment if society spent months rioting and looting without consequences. Heck not only did they have no consequences to their criminal activity they were rewarded by politicians accepting their views and acting upon them. That whole squeaky wheel thing.

The last year was spent telling folks who quietly write letters, vote, work hard, pay taxes ... that they will be ignored until they throw imbecillic temper tantrums. Guess, what????
    Somehow I believe that burning buildings, looting and generally causing mayhem for people who pay their taxes, operate businesses, go to work everyday and want to carry on their lives in a peaceful manner isn't going to become the norm. The segment of society that you refer to is less than 1%, so lets call them 1%ers. MSM has given them center stage. Once the cost to appease this behavior is calculated I expect some kind and gentle incentives to find another way to express their displeasure with their government.
    Last edited by Borderland; 12-22-2020 at 11:11 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    While I agree with you, I’m not at all surprised. A whole segment if society spent months rioting and looting without consequences. Heck not only did they have no consequences to their criminal activity they were rewarded by politicians accepting their views and acting upon them. That whole squeaky wheel thing.

The last year was spent telling folks who quietly write letters, vote, work hard, pay taxes ... that they will be ignored until they throw imbecillic temper tantrums. Guess, what????
    Sure, but at the end of the day, no matter their political beliefs, I have nothing in common with someone who is going to go to the state capital to bear spray a cop. Period. I wager most people I would choose to share my company with feel e same way.

edit: To make my point, you know who else thinks the occasional "temper tantrum" is justified?
    Last edited by Nephrology; 12-22-2020 at 11:00 PM.

Site Supporter
    The continued Balkanization of us will continue as we frame the conversation of us vrs whoever you want to call the other side. The media gets there pay off it. Everybody else can take there stance. Nobody’s going to win if we don’t make a deal.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I'm not sure what I mean by this, but it's something that comes to mind.

Name:  The_Tragic_Prelude_John_Brown.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  94.9 KB
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Go to Iztapalapa sometime. Not the safest area, you’ll be the only gringo, but they aren’t rioting and burning it done. Lots of poor devoted people at the church my wife’s uncle is the priest of.
    No, they just kill each other a lot. Rioting, burning and looting will just get you shot by the Federales. Has nothing to do with poor people. Has to do with the federal gov't and how they deal with civil unrest.

Jess, I've been to MX numerous times. Used to fish south of La Paz. Wonderful country and I love the people.
    Last edited by Borderland; 12-22-2020 at 11:17 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    No, they just kill each other a lot. Rioting, burning and looting will just get you shot by the Federales. Has nothing to do with poor people. Has to do with the federal gov't and how they deal with civil unrest.
    What?

I thought it was a have vs have not thing.

Which is very condescending to the have not crowd. That’s the left for you though, hold the poor and minority groups in contempt.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    What?

I thought it was a have vs have not thing.

Which is very condescending to the have not crowd. That’s the left for you though, hold the poor and minority groups in contempt.
    Mexico is a relatively poor country. To compare poor people in MX to poor people in the US is ridiculous. People in MX don't riot because the gov't would absolutely not tolerate it. A good example is those assholes who went into the OR legislature armed. They would have all been shot in MX. People in MX don't even have the ability to face off with the police unless you happen to be riding with a cartel.

Values has nothing to do with it. More like an inability to change anything. You do know that Mexico had a pretty bloody revolution, right? They were all just as poor in 1910 as they are now, comparatively speaking. Did their values change?

Site Supporter
    Mexico is a relatively poor country. To compare poor people in MX to poor people in the US is ridiculous. People in MX don't riot because the gov't would absolutely not tolerate it. A good example is those assholes who went into the OR legislature armed. They would have all been shot in MX. People in MX don't even have the ability to face off with the police unless you happen to be riding with a cartel.

Values has nothing to do with it. More like an inability to change anything. You do know that Mexico had a pretty bloody revolution, right? They were all just as poor in 1910 as they are now, comparatively speaking. Did their values change?

It’s not ridiculous. What’s ridiculous is people not appreciating how good they have it here.

I guarantee you my father in law grew up more poor than any of the rioters and communist. Yet he made a life for himself and became quite successful. He didn’t burn down buildings and support communism.

Mexico has tons of problems, including culturally. I’m surprised they have only been as bloody as they have. That said, I’ve seen true poverty and those people were not burning things down.

If a person don’t understand this as a values issue, then that person is so naive that it’s scary.

Maybe I just have more respect for poor people than many do, and think that they are just as capable as non poor people at being decent.

A poor person with good values and a quality meaning to his life will do less harm than a rich person with poor values and no meaning.

The whole "haves" and "have-nots" theory as the driver of bad stuff thing really should be discarded as the flawed remnant of a 19th Century Pseudoscience that it is. One would make as much scientific sense arguing that rioters are under the influence of miasmic air or poor blood humors. Maybe it's the malign influence of a particularly bad set of astronomical bodies, or that they all have oddly shaped skulls.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter

Mexico is NOT a poor country. Mexico has a lot of poor ]people and a lot of inequity.

Mexico is the 2nd largest economy in South America and the 15th largest economy in the world. yet it has the 4th highest percentage of poor people among 15 richest economies.

You really have no idea what you are talking about.

User Tag List