Thread: BOLO

BOLO

In a business today and saw this huge and obviously very old knife. Asked the owner about it and it had quite a history. It was made in the US (you can see the US mark and a number if you expand the first photo) and sold to a variety of countries. It is super thick and heavy. It is sharpened only on one side but its not an angled cut. It is rounded. And the edge goes all the way around the curved end. It also has a proof mark on the back.
    He told me his Dad captured it in the battle of Peleliu along with some other goodies. I thought that was a coincidence as I was aboard the USS PELELIU at one point.
    Sorry in advance for the photography.

Name:  7D9CD3DE-923B-49AC-A39E-D1E325D6AFCE.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  47.6 KB

Name:  A8E0BB29-D459-4CA8-A970-2FAEAE3704F6.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  48.4 KB

Name:  29D3AA22-5B33-45DE-BC2A-ECFFB448577C.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  45.1 KB
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    In a business today and saw this huge and obviously very old knife. Asked the owner about it and it had quite a history. It was made in the US (you can see the US mark and a number if you expand the first photo) and sold to a variety of countries. It is super thick and heavy. It is sharpened only on one side but its not an angled cut. It is rounded. And the edge goes all the way around the curved end. It also has a proof mark on the back.
    He told me his Dad captured it in the battle of Peleliu along with some other goodies. I thought that was a coincidence as I was aboard the USS PELELIU at one point.
    Sorry in advance for the photography.

Name:  7D9CD3DE-923B-49AC-A39E-D1E325D6AFCE.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  47.6 KB

Name:  A8E0BB29-D459-4CA8-A970-2FAEAE3704F6.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  48.4 KB

Name:  29D3AA22-5B33-45DE-BC2A-ECFFB448577C.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  45.1 KB
    Very nice find! I'm pretty sure it's a Hospital Corps Bolo. They were issued to USMC and Army medical personnel circa WW 1 and 2 for tasks like cutting branches for making litters. The rounded tip and chisel blade were to keep them from being classified as weapons. If I remember right that is an Army model. Stumbled on a cool article about them when researching the Krag bolo bayonets a couple years back. Thought I had it bookmarked but can't find it at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Very nice find! I'm pretty sure it's a Hospital Corps Bolo. They were issued to USMC and Army medical personnel circa WW 1 and 2 for tasks like cutting branches for making litters. If I remember right that is an Army model. Stumbled on a cool article about them when researching the Krag bolo bayonets a couple years back. Thought I had it bookmarked but can't find it at the moment.
    He said that it was a medical issue but for surgery. I wasnt going to post by that because it didnt seem correct to me.

Site Supporter
    And here I was thinking, “Be On the LookOut” for what?

I texted the veterans link to him E. Thank you! 😎

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    I texted the veterans link to him E. Thank you! 😎
    De nada, 'mano.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List