Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The best Revolver for Self Defense

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Which of this would you put in Grandma and Grandpa's underwear drawer for the bad times?
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    How is Grammy and Paw-paws hand strength? Because some of those options are pretty damned stout. A 5 shot .44 magnum? C'mon....

Of the available options, probably the GP100. A Model 10 might be more betterer, though, depending.
    I'd lean toward an SP101 or new Colt Cobra with .38's.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I’d be fine with the Kimber, Colt, or GP. I’ve owned all three, more or less.

The R8 is sorta big. The 69 is sorta inappropriate.

The Judge?
    GTFOOH...

This was the Judge. Sixty nine wasn't lost on me.

upload image sites

My choice isn't on the list but WTFDIK.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    A point worth noting:

My dad has psoriatic arthritis and one of his bad spots is the base of his thumb. My model 64, even with softy loads, was one of his least favorite guns to shoot.

He rented and later purchased a PC model S&W shield and both his accuracy with the gun, and his comfort shooting it were remarkably better. He got a up Lula mag loader because loading mags by hand sucked for him. He locks the slide back just fine and manipulates the gun well otherwise.

Revolvers are not always the best guns for the elderly or those with limited hand strength. Especially because there is no reciprocation of a slide to dampen the recoil

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Haven't we been averaging a new variation of this same thread about once a month for the past several?

And GP100, duh.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I’m still impressed with how my K6 shoots. I wish I had the financial wherewithal to put some serious volume through it.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    Model 10/64 is my recommendation when people ask my advice about a gun to keep in the house.
    The 10 is a classic, for sure. I’m curious why the 10 is the go to, versus one of the K frames with non fixed rear sights?

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    https://www.handgunsmag.com/editoria...defense/386911Let the games begin. Which of this would you put in Grandma and Grandpa's underwear drawer for the bad times?
    This grandpa chose a 4" GP-100 for his "retired geezer revolver." With the right load(s), it should be competent for any task I am likely to use it for from here on out. With a slightly reduced power hammer spring, factory compact grips and a Dawson front blade (green FO), it works well for all the old cats remaining under this roof.

And if I run it dry and/or ammo disappears, I suspect it also has a shot at winning "best contemporary revolver for use in the role of a bludgeon or thrown object" award.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The 10 is a classic, for sure. I’m curious why the 10 is the go to, versus one of the K frames with non fixed rear sights?
    It's really hard to knock fixed sights out of alignment, and the sharp edges of the S&W rear sight would snag easily on the socks in the drawer.

GP100 hands-down, for durability and reliability. Or its predecessor, the Security/Service/Speed-Six.

One of the things that's quite nice about the GP100 is that you can go with either the OEM full-size Ruger grip (the rubbers one with the hardwood insert, not the Hogue abomination they offered as OEM when their more or less in-house grip manufacturer, Letts, went out of business-fortunately, they've found an alternate source in the last ear or so, so now both are offered as OEM and available after-market from Ruger) or the simiilar, but proportionationally downsized Ruger Compact grip.

For me, the Compact grip works superbly-both ergonomically and for concealment.

Best, Jon

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    It's really hard to knock fixed sights out of alignment, and the sharp edges of the S&W rear sight would snag easily on the socks in the drawer.
    ^^^^ This.

Also, when one considers the likely use distance for a home-defense revolver, fixed sights are going to shoot well into Minute of Critter.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List