Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: New Car Buying Shennanigans

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    The main things that keep me out of any sorts of “sports car” are:
    1. The roads here are not fun
    2. The roads here are exceedingly dangerous
    3. Much of my time on roads here are highway, which is even less fun and more dangerous
    4. I “need”, at least for now, room for me + wife & two kids
    Totally makes sense. From my time down in Florida, I can't imagine most roads in Florida being very enjoyable to drive on unless you're the type that likes big fines and being reckless/unsafe. Up in Virginia we've got twisty-turny roads that are generally in good condition and provide a lot of enjoyment in a sports car, even staying within safe and legal practices. Skyline Drive as a weekend jaunt, or even the back-road non-highway route to my range that goes through the West Springfield/Burke/Farrs Corner area and comes out just south of Elite Shooting Sports. My NoVA people know what I'm talking about.

That doesn't even take into consideration driving through the more rural parts of Virginia for weekend jaunts to a lakehouse, taking a pistol class, buying suppressors from @Hansohn Brothers or visiting friends. My agency's new training center is down in south west(ish) Virginia, and there's two ways to get there: Take 95, which anyone along the eastern seaboard knows....or take the backway, hopping on county roads from Warrenton, Culpeper, Charlottesville to Farmville. For the most part, it's an absolute joy of a drive through rolling hills. I'm very fortunate that there's a lot of ways to enjoy something like a Porsche as my only car where I live.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    How so?

I thought we were talking about extended warrantees (insurance). My point was local governments don't borrow money to buy vehicles and they don't have insurance to maintain them, which saves them a lot of money on operating costs.

You can apply that concept to your personal financial situation as well.
    It'd help if you stop referring to warranties as insurance just so we are clear what is actually being discussed. I get it, as BBI's explained warranties are legally a form of insurance, but nobody refers to warranties as insurance in daily life unless they're trying to make a point about how pretentious they are.....and using the words "self-insured" in regards to government vehicles carries a particular connotation to the vehicles not carrying drivers' insurance for liability/collision, which has nothing to do with maintenance, repairs, and warranties.

As to the rest of the post, local governments do indeed borrow money to buy vehicles....local governments all over the country borrow money for lots of shit as a matter of routine practice, I have no clue how you came to your conclusion. Even if a government (local, state or federal) entity participates in fleet sales program, they still use the warranty. The two municipal governments I worked at used the warranties on their vehicles, the commercial entity I worked at used the warranties on the fleet, and my federal agency uses the warranties on our vehicles regardless if they're owned outright by us or leased through GSA.

In short, there's no reason to pay for your piece-of-shit compulsory "Buy America Act" shit-box breakdowns when such is covered under warranty. The vehicles come with warranties, and the end-user takes advantage of that. I don't understand how there's even a question about that.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    ... buying suppressors from @Hansohn Brothers ...
    HA! I spit coffee on my keyboard. I'll admit, our road is perfect for mudding right now with all this rain and snow!

It'd help if you stop referring to warranties as insurance just so we are clear what is actually being discussed. I get it, as BBI's explained warranties are legally a form of insurance, but nobody refers to warranties as insurance in daily life unless they're trying to make a point about how pretentious they are.....and using the words "self-insured" in regards to government vehicles carries a particular connotation to the vehicles not carrying drivers' insurance for liability/collision, which has nothing to do with maintenance, repairs, and warranties.

As to the rest of the post, local governments do indeed borrow money to buy vehicles....local governments all over the country borrow money for lots of shit as a matter of routine practice, I have no clue how you came to your conclusion. Even if a government (local, state or federal) entity participates in fleet sales program, they still use the warranty. The two municipal governments I worked at used the warranties on their vehicles, the commercial entity I worked at used the warranties on the fleet, and my federal agency uses the warranties on our vehicles regardless if they're owned outright by us or leased through GSA.

In short, there's no reason to pay for your piece-of-shit compulsory "Buy America Act" shit-box breakdowns when such is covered under warranty. The vehicles come with warranties, and the end-user takes advantage of that. I don't understand how there's even a question about that.
    Where did I say anything about original vehicle warrantees? Of course local governments use those, it's included with the price of the vehicle. Why would a any agency garage spend time and money on a repair if all they have to do is drop off the vehicle at a dealer (all dealers honor original warrantee work) and pick it up after it's repaired?

Local government's do borrow money for things like infrastructure thru bond initiatives that are generally voted on. The agency I worked for paid for their vehicles using an annual operating budget that was approved by the executive and council every year based on state law. The county I worked for is expecting a 25 million dollar budget shortfall in the next few years. That means that they won't be buying many new vehicles.
    Last edited by Borderland; 12-26-2020 at 11:26 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

...or even the back-road non-highway route to my range that goes through the West Springfield/Burke/Farrs Corner area and comes out just south of Elite Shooting Sports. My NoVA people know what I'm talking about.
    Probably some combination of Furnace, Hampton, Henderson, Wolf Run Shoals, Yates Ford, and Clifton Roads.

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    Probably some combination of Furnace, Hampton, Henderson, Wolf Run Shoals, Yates Ford, and Clifton Roads.
    Give it to me, baby:

Name:  Route.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  58.4 KB

Very enjoyable drive. When I was posted at Quantico, I remember the drive to Manassas on Rt 619 being really nice as well. Did that one with my WRX STi whenever I'd go that direction instead of using the quicker route on 234.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    I hate driving back there. Not because I hate twisty, curvy, hilly roads, but because there's no shoulder and I'll invariably run up on some moron who is driving well below the speed limit or a traffic jam or a 20 car backup from a stop sign or traffic signal.

I see folks biking on those roads. I think they have a death wish and I'm accustomed to biking in traffic.

Chris

Give it to me, baby:
    You pass by within a half mile of my house.

I'm not a car guy, but I've ridden my bikes many miles on those roads (usually by 9am on the weekend, so don't hate me ).

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Totally makes sense. From my time down in Florida, I can't imagine most roads in Florida being very enjoyable to drive on unless you're the type that likes big fines and being reckless/unsafe. Up in Virginia we've got twisty-turny roads that are generally in good condition and provide a lot of enjoyment in a sports car, even staying within safe and legal practices. Skyline Drive as a weekend jaunt, or even the back-road non-highway route to my range that goes through the West Springfield/Burke/Farrs Corner area and comes out just south of Elite Shooting Sports. My NoVA people know what I'm talking about.

That doesn't even take into consideration driving through the more rural parts of Virginia for weekend jaunts to a lakehouse, taking a pistol class, buying suppressors from @Hansohn Brothers or visiting friends. My agency's new training center is down in south west(ish) Virginia, and there's two ways to get there: Take 95, which anyone along the eastern seaboard knows....or take the backway, hopping on county roads from Warrenton, Culpeper, Charlottesville to Farmville. For the most part, it's an absolute joy of a drive through rolling hills. I'm very fortunate that there's a lot of ways to enjoy something like a Porsche as my only car where I live.
    One of the few things I miss about Kansas was some of the two lane roads through the amber waves of grain. Flat, straight, damn near uninhabited, visibility from horizon to horizon. If you like straight line sustained speed it was a great place to be.

I never track my Camaro, but I don't think that's the same as "not using it" as I've certainly had a lot of fun with it.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    One of the few things I miss about Kansas was some of the two lane roads through the amber waves of grain. Flat, straight, damn near uninhabited, visibility from horizon to horizon. If you like straight line sustained speed it was a great place to be.

I never track my Camaro, but I don't think that's the same as "not using it" as I've certainly had a lot of fun with it.
    You can find curves in Kansas if you look - south out of Dexter - Grouse Creek Road in Cowley County is where the Airmen from McConnell go to kill themselves on their Ninja's.

Out of the Manhattan area, Junk City to be exact - south from the I-70 Grandview Plaze exit - J Hill Road goes into East Lions Creek Road - you can stop when you get to US77

Those are my two favorites.

Generally go to the Eureka Springs, Arkansas, area to get my twisty on - which isn't very twisty compared to some of the maniacs I've seen.

User Tag List