Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fieldcraft Survival Gunfighter Carbine 1: December 20, 2020

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by karmapolice View Post
    Pretty sure the mother ship requirement is 100 yards with duty and 50 yards with frange for y'all, there may be manufactures that say that but one not a risk/liability I would not want to take with students in a private or agency class. Second it will wreck your steel quicker over time.

From MGM's website "MGM 3/8″ AR550 targets can be shot with pistols from 15 yards or more. Closer range risks increased incidents of fragment bounce-back

MGM strongly discourages shooting ANY steel at closer than 15 yards with handguns and from less than 100 yards with rifles. Details on various rifle ammunition and target types are addressed in the ‘Can I shoot my rifle at your targets‘ category below." and "* Depending on firearm and ammunition, following a visual check of targets after initial shots, the MGM TAC BCC-Zone target can be shot at 50 yards or more with a rifle.

* For long range firearms using high velocity ammunition – over 2800 fps, non steel core, non bi-metal, non multi core bullets, MGM recommends shooting at distances reasonable for the rifle and ammunition, 200 yards or more. In this case, The MGM TAC BCCZone target can be shot at 100 yards or more.

PLEASE NOTE: DO NOT SHOOT STEEL TARGETS WITH ‘XM-193’ AMMUNITION. SUCH AMMUNITION IS INTENDED TO PENETRATE STEEL AND WILL CAUSE SEVERE DAMAGE TO TARGETS, INCREASING THE LIKELYHOOD OF FAILURE AND PERSONAL INJURY. DAMAGE TO TARGETS RESULTING FROM THE USE OF ‘XM-193’ WILL NOT BE COVERED BY THE WARRANTY."

I shoot at it as close as 50 yards sometimes but I know what ammo I am shooting and I'm typically alone when I'm doing it. Steel targets are cool and have a place but open enrollment or not class with a bunch of unknown ammo and people close shooting steel at 25 yards, I will pass.
    Negative - 50 duty .223 and slugs - 25 yards for frangible .223 and frangible slug. And I would not go below that with regular steel targets. They work as advertised but I still would not shoot them closer than 25 yards with duty rifle ammo.

The closer range stuff is only for use with specific targets like those from MGM or ATR designed to direct everything down at the post and base.

This is the promo video I mentioned.

It’s linked on MGM website here.

https://mgmtargets.com/product/tac-b...and-tube-base/
    Last edited by HCM; 12-25-2020 at 03:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by karmapolice View Post
    I shoot at it as close as 50 yards sometimes but I know what ammo I am shooting and I'm typically alone when I'm doing it. Steel targets are cool and have a place but open enrollment or not class with a bunch of unknown ammo and people close shooting steel at 25 yards, I will pass.

I wanted to clarify the context in which the students in the FCS carbine class were shooting steel @ 25 yds. We were practicing shoulder transitions behind two barrels (one on top of the other). The drill was:
    1. start behind the barrel (concealment) at roughly rifle length behind.
    2. slowly pie the angle to the right until you saw the steel target.
    3. place four rounds on the steel target while exposing as little as possible of yourself.
    4. Then switch rifle to the left shoulder and pie to the left
    5. four shots on the left hand side

Everyone had two iterations with the second time six rounds to each side. We dry fired this several times before going live with the instructors giving us advice on efficient/safe shoulder transitions. There were multiple barrel stations with each station having 3-4 students. No one had green tip ammo. The range does not allow M855/M193/Steel core rounds to be used on any of its bays. It was assumed that everyone adhered to these restrictions but there was no individual ammo inspections. Nor have I ever been to any class where ammo was inspected, which I think is impractical.
    I understand the best practice of being 50 yards or further for rifle ammo. However, I also wanted everyone to know the context in which we were shooting steel. It is not like we were all in the open and firing into steel targets in the open.

Thank you for everyone's insights. There are many nuances that students do not appreciate and I am grateful for the input of those with more experience. Merry Christmas everyone!

Site Supporter
    Speaking of shooting steel too close.

When I went to the academy, there was no carbine training. We did shoot shotguns for maybe half a day. To say it was an after thought is putting it kindly.

We were shooting steel at ranges that I cannot remember, but it was too close. Some of us got peppered with bird shot ricochet, but one dude took a slug ricochet below the eye. It looked like he had been punched in the face, man was he lucky. Of course he never really complained and the day continued and we all ended up surviving, but I learned a valuable lesson that day. Even if it was not the intended lesson.

User Tag List